• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pancake Day Recipes: The Best Fillings For Kids As Chosen By Them (And Their Parents)

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Since today is Pancake Day, I thought I'd share this for anyone who's interested. Click the source link at the bottom of the page to see the images)

From splat pancakes to Freddo frogs (yes, really).

Pancake day is a great opportunity for kids to get really creative in the kitchen and work with their parents to concoct delicious, mouth-watering fillings.

If you rarely venture beyond lemon and sugar, you’re in good company according to Rowan Davies, Mumsnet’s head of policy and campaigns, as the parenting community’s users are “staunchly traditional”.

But if you’re keen to try other options this year, we’ve asked chefs and parents - from chef Tom Aikens to parent food bloggers - about what their child’s favourite filling is and tips on how to make them. So take some inspiration from the eight ideas below.

Tips on pancake making:
* Pour the liquid in slowly when making the batter so you don’t get lumps.
* Always do a test run with the batter and throw away your first pancake. Your second is always better.
* Use good quality ingredients and in particular good butter for the beurre sucre.​

CHOCOHOLIC: Cocoa Crepes
Chef Tom Aikens, who is dad to Josephine, four, and Violette, six, told HuffPost UK: “Pancake fillings for kids are often on the sweet side, but there’s nothing wrong with a little sweet treat every now and then, and making pancakes with kids is often a great way of getting them into cooking – cracking the eggs, measuring the milk, stirring the batter.”

When it comes to his own kids, blueberry pancakes and chocolate crepes are the top of their lists.

“Of course they love chocolate, so I make a thin crêpe that has a little cocoa powder in the pancake mix and some chocolate sauce on top,” he said.

ARTY: Fruity Faces
Emily Leary, mum to JD, 10, and Jay, six, runs the A Mummy Too blog. Her kids loving the classic lemon and sugar, but they are also keen on fruit fillings.

“Pancakes are like a blank canvas just begging to be decorated, so why not give the kids a selection of fruit and let them build their own edible designs, from pretty patterns to faces,” she said.

“Or ‘roll-up pancakes’, where the children build a line of their favourite fruits down the middle of the crepe and then, you guessed it, roll it up! If cut into slices, this recipe is also known as pancake sushi in our house.”

SIMPLE: Butter And Sugar
Williams Guillemot, 48, is the head chef at modern crêperie, L’Ami Malo in Spitalfields. He is dad to Leon, 15, and Jamie, 10, who both love pancakes. You might expect a professional pancake maker to favour a complicated take on this classic, but his favourite recipe for his kids is simple.

“I make classic beurre sucre (butter and sugar) pancakes for my kids,” he said. “They like simple ingredients and the rich butter and sugar is such a winning combination, allowing you to taste the pancake itself rather than being masked by a load of other toppings. Both brown sugar and caster sugar work well for this dish.”

You can find a helpful guide to making this classic butter and sugar recipe here.

SAVOURY: Ham, Egg And Cheese
Lucy Kellett, a mum-of-two who runs lucyloves.uk.com, said her son Ben prefers a savoury topping “every time”.

“My boys and I love pancakes, but ham, egg and cheese pancakes are our new favourites,” she said. “These savoury pancakes are quite irresistible. I can vouch for that as the folding procedure takes some practise and Ben and I ploughed our way through six in one sitting.

“Pure gluttony I know, but the combination of a crisp pancake with ham, melty cheese and a runny egg is really something to be revered.”

Find out how to make them here.

FUN-FILLED: Splat Pancakes
Chef Kathryn Minchew has three kids aged 12, nine and five. She made a recipe called “splat pancakes” when her youngest, Toby, was too small to flip pancakes, but wanted to get involved.

“Splat pancakes are a hit because while I can plan some Instagram-worthy breakfasts, sometimes he wants to cook and I want to encourage that,” she said. “We always have these ingredients in, they only take a few minutes (the length of a small child’s attention span) and they taste great with maple syrup.”

You will need: two bananas, 100g flour, one egg and oil.

Mash the bananas with a fork, add flour and egg. Heat oil in a pan and use a spoon to drop spoonfuls of batter into the pan, then flip them over when the bottoms set.

MORE EFFORT: Apple Pie Pancakes
Philippa Askham, 40, who blogs at Sweetpea Pantry is mum to two-year-old Jude and six-year-old Niamh.

“With a bit more effort - but these do get devoured by our kids (and us!) - we make our Apple Pie Pancakes,” she said. “Basically a delicious apple, cinnamon and maple syrup topping. And they have lots of protein, fibre and no refined sugar, so everyone’s happy.”

Read the full recipe here.

HEALTHY: Fresh fruit
“I prefer healthy options when it comes to pancake fillings for my little one such as fresh fruit or yoghurt,” said Nadine, 31, who blogs at Then I Became Mum.

“Peach and raspberries go really well together. We like to roughly blend them with a touch of honey to sweeten them up. However, my little one’s over all favourite pancake filling is a blueberry compote made with honey instead of sugar.”

Read the full recipe here.

Dad Miles Kirby, chef and co-owner of Caravan is dad to Eli, four, and Marlon, two. He suggested making the mix healthy: “I try to make the mixture full of a little goodness… maybe wholemeal flour or oat, banana, egg and coconut in a food processor is easy and gets some goodness in there. Also I cook them in coconut oil rather than butter if I’m on that buzz.

“Eli is currently obsessed with mango so coconut pancakes with mango are the only way to get a bit of fruit in him!”

SWEET TREATS: Chocolate And Marshmallows
Holly Bell, who blogs at Recipes From A Normal Mum, said her three boys (nine, seven and three) are divided when it comes to pancake day.

“Middle son is anti anything even remotely sugary,” she said. “So for him it’s plain all the way, possibly with a side helping of ham.

“Eldest and youngest are another story altogether! Recent fillings have included Freddo frogs (melted in a nightmarish fashion), a sea of classic maple syrup and a kind of knickerbocker glory pancake creation: Nutella with a smattering of marshmallows, sliced bananas and ice cream.”

Another sweet option is milk chocolate, fresh raspberries and whipped cream as suggested by chef Damian Wawrzyniak, who is dad to Pola, seven, and Noel, six. “My kids love this filling, it’s their favourite,” he said.

Source (with images): Pancake Day: The Best Fillings For Kids As Chosen By Them (And Their Parents)

interesting I wonder if putting yoghurt into flour would make it easier to digest.
can't eat eggs but I could have egg free pancakes, sounds nice I wonder what banana and custard yoghurt pancakes would be like.

interesting I wonder if putting yoghurt into flour would make it easier to digest.
can't eat eggs but I could have egg free pancakes, sounds nice I wonder what banana and custard yoghurt pancakes would be like.

Stands to reason, though not sure about the results over attempting it on an egg-free basis. I always use yogurt in making smoothies, myself. There are recipes for yogurt pancakes, but they all seem to still involve eggs.

Might be worth trying, purely on an experimental basis. After all, there are eggless pancake recipes out there as well. Yeah- go for it. :cool:

Make Fluffy Yogurt Pancakes for Breakfast Tomorrow

Favorite Pancakes (without eggs)

Last edited:
Stands to reason, though not sure about the results over attempting it on an egg-free basis. I always use yogurt in making smoothies, myself. There are recipes for yogurt pancakes, but they all seem to still involve eggs.

Might be worth trying, purely on an experimental basis. After all, there are eggless pancake recipes out there as well. Yeah- go for it. :cool:

Make Fluffy Yogurt Pancakes for Breakfast Tomorrow

Favorite Pancakes (without eggs)
yes I've had pancakes that don't have egg in them before ,I've had someone israel that were like griddle scones -I don't know if they had egg in. egg free pancakes are very light ,only problem is I'm getting less and less tolerant of sugar even sugars in flour that naturally occur.
I think that's because I'm permanently dehydrated so I'm desperate for salt .
thanks for the references

yes I've had pancakes that don't have egg in them before ,I've had someone israel that were like griddle scones -I don't know if they had egg in. egg free pancakes are very light ,only problem is I'm getting less and less tolerant of sugar even sugars in flour that naturally occur.
I think that's because I'm permanently dehydrated so I'm desperate for salt .
thanks for the references

I'm just wondering how much introducing yogurt into an eggless pancake might inhibit the pancake to "bind" together. Don't really have a clue as to how that might go. :oops:

For me the most important past of a pancake breakfast is putting REAL maple syrup on top. But do prefer crepes to heavy flannel pancakes(as I call them). Nothing beats REAL maple syrup.

I'm just wondering how much introducing yogurt into an eggless pancake might inhibit the pancake to "bind" together. Don't really have a clue as to how that might go. :oops:
i'll just use yoghurt instead of adding of any other liquid

For me the most important past of a pancake breakfast is putting REAL maple syrup on top. But do prefer crepes to heavy flannel pancakes(as I call them). Nothing beats REAL maple syrup.
I don't dislike it but I've never really acquired a taste for it ,I'm very English so I always had lemon and sugar ,sometimes jam but usually lemon juice and sugar .
my mother was the one who tried all the unusual flavours as I've said before to people I could mainline garlic and cinnamon and onion .

I don't dislike it but I've never really acquired a taste for it ,I'm very English so I always had lemon and sugar ,sometimes jam but usually lemon juice and sugar .
my mother was the one who tried all the unusual flavours as I've said before to people I could mainline garlic and cinnamon and onion .

That's interesting- never heard of using lemon and sugar on pancakes or that it was a British thing to do. In the States I think some people might put cinnamon and powdered sugar on them.

That's interesting- never heard of using lemon and sugar on pancakes or that it was a British thing to do. In the States I think some people might put cinnamon and powdered sugar on them.
I got it from my mother but it's also in Mrs Beetons cookery book her husband published it in the late 1800s ,she wasn't actually a Cook .
I have the version from the 1970s that has colour photos and at the original version was just hand drawings

The French crepe use orange and sugar into a syrup which is very slightly different

Happy Pancake Day! We are having Bruce's Sweet Potato Pancakes. Comes in a pouch and needs nothing added but water so it's sorta cheating but they are super tasty, dessert like, and will be drenched in butter and real maple syrup because I agree with @LucyPurrs that the maple syrup is the most important part.

I've just had Pancakes for tea, for the first time in probably 30 years or more, had chocolate filling! Oh yeah, very nice.

Happy Pancake Day! We are having Bruce's Sweet Potato Pancakes. Comes in a pouch and needs nothing added but water so it's sorta cheating but they are super tasty, dessert like, and will be drenched in butter and real maple syrup because I agree with @LucyPurrs that the maple syrup is the most important part.

:D (never had sweet potato pancakes- sound good!)

New Threads

Top Bottom