• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overcoming Exhaustion?...

StaceyP

It appears that the invasion of the body snatchers has actually happened to me because I don't even recognize my life anymore. Managing our daughters high functioning autism with an energetic typically developing toddler is taking a toll on my sanity, my energy, my ability to maintain a functioning household that is passable, let alone clean on a consistent basis. HELP PLEASE!!! My house is so out of control and "border-line Hoarders" that I cannot get it under control which only adds to the countless challenges that our daughter faces. Everyone keeps telling me simplicity and routine is the key and I couldn't agree more!!! But how do you manage an energetic toddler who creates mess and mayhem while trying to keep things orderly, predictable and calm for the 7yo with HF autism and ADHD. Talk about your different ages and stages. I'm about to take 75% of what we own and bag it up in Hefty's and toss it, it's so overwhelming. Does anyone else struggle with this?!?!?

I have sometimes. I would suggest since you have multiple things going on that you prioritize and pick one thing to focus on mainly at the moment. I would think that your sanity/mental well being is most important. I can't say specifically what you need, but whatever it is I would put it in front of most other things. You have to take care of yourself to properly take care of others.

On the stuff problem, if you can realistically do that: quickly dump 75%, it probably would help and not hurt a thing. And if something goes out that wasn't supposed to, so be it. It was for a good cause.

Sometimes its not feasible to come up with the time and energy needed for large projects, but it can help to make a little measurable progress at regular intervals. I use the garbage bag method. :D I know how many I generate on a normal basis and set a goal of putting out x ammount (usually 1-3) extra from the clutter each week. I find if I can stick to this it 'feels' like I am making at least a little progress and having done it several times know over time it does add up... or actually subtract I guess. I might even keep track of the total extra bags on a piece of paper. Typical clean up projects usually end up totaling 30-50 bags.

"Put on your own oxygen mask before assisting your child."

In 30 years it will not matter if the dishes sat, the yard got weeds, or dinner wasn't how Grandma did it. It will matter that you loved your children in ways they understood. No one, a absolutely no one, can do that if you don't.

When my son was 4, a little girl from up the street came over to play. They sat in the living room.

She said, "Why doesn't your mom ever clean your house?"

He said, "She does clean it." Then he said, "Why doesn't your mom play with you?"

PS. If you use boxes and label them, it's no more work, and you won't accidentally throw anything out.

I have a very, very, very energetic and messy toddler. Whether or not he's on the spectrum remains to be seen. Sometimes you just gotta roll with the chaos. Your best bet is trying to teach her to pick up her toys just before bedtime so it's not an all out war all day long. Or limit her to 10-15 toys and keep the rest stashed away so you can rotate them out at a later date. So says the parents of kids who get bored with their toys easily, anyway.

If you've got a decent sized yard, I'd also recommend kicking her outside every a day. Not alone, of course. But a kid running in circles and rolling in grass is a kid who isn't wrecking the house.

Is there a chance of paying your way out of some of the chores? Gardening, cleaning... I have had a cleaner for the house for many years, even when the money has been low. It is the one thing that can make me grumpy 100% of the time so paying for it has a very high priority - to the whole family so I can be good company and manage the rest of the house and the family. Sort of manage it, anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom