• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Our animal sanctuary

We live in a rural area with 2.5 acres, maybe 3/4 acres fenced in and 1.25 completely untouched, and adjacent to another 1.25 acres that are just sitting there (we don't want more people move near us - many don't live with nature and just eradicate all woods and end up with some stupid English lawn that is reeking of chemicals.) Inside our fenced area, a remnant from a dog that died 2 decades ago, we now have an enclosure borrowed from a kind neighbor, and in it, a young duck couple, while friends are on an extended trip. For the ducks, it should be a nice vacation as we are plant-based, and there is no expectations of any egg production. They fit in well, enjoy the space, attention, and mealworm treats, and our feral cat, who visits at night, protects them, too, by marking his feeding territory. This is very enjoyable indeed, and our indoor cats have such fun watching this healthy ecosystem with songbirds and occasional individual predators. It's not precisely easy - a lot of neighbors have guns and shoot at souls they don't understand. Our raccoon and fox populations have diminshed over the last months, again, and owls and hawks have moved to larger wooded areas - we just offer a wee island. Yet, we are not overrun by any species. The ducks greet me each time I am in that part of the yard. My human is especially tickled by their synchronized head dance that preceeds mating. Given I am totally new to caring for ducks, this is already quite a success. Anyway, thought I'd share something nice.

That sounds soooo nice!

The pleasures of living in the green world can not be overstated.

Also, duck eggs are tasty.

Happy birthday, @Bobsterkitty. We treat our land as an animal and insect sanctuary, too.

We haven't mowed the yards or any pastures this spring and they are full of bees, butterflies, lightning bugs, frogs, turtles, birds and probably many other things I haven't even noticed, that are attracted to all the wildflowers. After the plants go to seed, I'll reluctantly let husband start mowing a small part of our yard and clip the pastures only one time to prevent trees from growing where we need grass for our donkeys and horses. It's amazing how rich the environment becomes if you don't mow compulsively mow everything down as if you live on a golf course or a football field.

Neighbors probably think we're slobs or lazy but we're not. We're smart and love the nurture planet earth.

Fascinating and lovely to read about your wee island sanctuary to creatures of all sorts. Thanks for sharing.

I tended to a backyard farm while the owners were away for a few weeks and had a wonderful time with the flock of 12 ducks. The Indian Runners were amazing to watch and really stood out among the flock. Such lovely little creatures, all of them.

New Threads

Top Bottom