• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ordinal-linguistic personification Synesthesia

Hedgehog Instigator

Chomp chomp chomp!
So I have kind of a weird form of Synesthesia wherein I perceive numbers to have personality. Interestingly I also associate colors and patterns with numbers. I am super fascinated by the general concept of Synesthesia because admittedly my numbers are some of the most interesting people I know.

Here is how I perceive numbers:
numbers.JPG

Because it has a name, I looked it up.
There is probably a name for people who look up stuff, too.:p

Digits are colored to me, but only the single digits---not when they
are next to each other as number larger than 9. I mean, they retain
their color, but they don't blend.

I experienced a couple numbers as having personality characteristics
when I was 7 years old. 6 + 8 = 14 meant feather pillows. The number
24 was also soft. Not feathers. Just gentle & softly rounded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinal_linguistic_personification
http://synesthesia-test.com/ordinal-linguistic-personification
http://neurowiki2014.wikidot.com/individual:personification-based-synesthesia

I love your chart, Hedgehog Instigator. Some of the personalities make sense to me but some are completely different to my perception. 7 for instance, is gold for me, and quite a "serious, powerful" shape/digit. Nothing kawaii about it. :D I don't have such strong personalities for digits... Anything I perceive there isn't easily defined, which is why I love the chart you made. I really admire that you can so clearly define the distinct personalities.

Like tree, I perceive colours for digits but they don't really blend for multi digit numbers, just as for me individual letters are associated with colours but they don't blend when within words. When I "look" closely, the digits and letters have a black/dark contour to define their shapes but the associated colour isn't restrained to the confines of the contour. So there is a soft blending where digits and letters meet but this doesn't re-colour the whole number or word.

Something I haven't explored much is colours associated with kana, kanji and other forms of writing. I read Japanese (disclaimer: I was fluent but haven't used it much for the past decade so it's being buried in my memory) and I know there is some colour association there. But it's confusing because it's not only the visual representation of a sound that provokes the colour perception... I'm a visual thinker so that contributes to the confusion.

For example, は is pronounced "ha". When I look at it I don't really perceive much but if I concentrate I can see/feel some blue. However, the sound "ha" is associated with the letters h and a, which are wheaten and yellow respectively, so when I hear "ha" I perceive a wheaty yellow.

Then there are more confusing examples. The number/digit eight is written as 八, pronounced "hachi", but can also be pronounced "ya" depending on the context. For me the digit 8 is very dark green, but as you can imagine the sound "hachi" is different, and the sound "ya" is different again.

I could go into more examples but that's enough about me. Hedgehog Instigator, I'm curious about whether the colours and personalities you perceive are purely associated with the visual representation of the digits and numbers or whether there is also association with the sounds, and if there is an association with the sounds is it because it reminds you of letters and their associated sounds and colours? I apologise if the question is confusing. :D

I love your chart, Hedgehog Instigator. Some of the personalities make sense to me but some are completely different to my perception. 7 for instance, is gold for me, and quite a "serious, powerful" shape/digit. Nothing kawaii about it. :D I don't have such strong personalities for digits... Anything I perceive there isn't easily defined, which is why I love the chart you made. I really admire that you can so clearly define the distinct personalities.

Like tree, I perceive colours for digits but they don't really blend for multi digit numbers, just as for me individual letters are associated with colours but they don't blend when within words. When I "look" closely, the digits and letters have a black/dark contour to define their shapes but the associated colour isn't restrained to the confines of the contour. So there is a soft blending where digits and letters meet but this doesn't re-colour the whole number or word.

Something I haven't explored much is colours associated with kana, kanji and other forms of writing. I read Japanese (disclaimer: I was fluent but haven't used it much for the past decade so it's being buried in my memory) and I know there is some colour association there. But it's confusing because it's not only the visual representation of a sound that provokes the colour perception... I'm a visual thinker so that contributes to the confusion.

For example, は is pronounced "ha". When I look at it I don't really perceive much but if I concentrate I can see/feel some blue. However, the sound "ha" is associated with the letters h and a, which are wheaten and yellow respectively, so when I hear "ha" I perceive a wheaty yellow.

Then there are more confusing examples. The number/digit eight is written as 八, pronounced "hachi", but can also be pronounced "ya" depending on the context. For me the digit 8 is very dark green, but as you can imagine the sound "hachi" is different, and the sound "ya" is different again.

I could go into more examples but that's enough about me. Hedgehog Instigator, I'm curious about whether the colours and personalities you perceive are purely associated with the visual representation of the digits and numbers or whether there is also association with the sounds, and if there is an association with the sounds is it because it reminds you of letters and their associated sounds and colours? I apologise if the question is confusing. :D
Nope no sound to sight synesthesia for me. I Do have visual pain though. I have lightning pain, tree pain, star pain, triangle, planear, tiger stripe, ...

I had a friend friend who experienced synesthesia relating to various things. The one association I remember is that she associated specific colours with male and female personalities of different ages. So yello was, "famale child", for example. She was also very sensitive to music and could only tolerate trance and classical.

So I have kind of a weird form of Synesthesia wherein I perceive numbers to have personality. Interestingly I also associate colors and patterns with numbers. I am super fascinated by the general concept of Synesthesia because admittedly my numbers are some of the most interesting people I know.

Here is how I perceive numbers:
View attachment 22041

That is really cool, and as I read through them a lot of them made a lot of sense to me! ^_^

Perhaps because of my passion for music but, numbers and letters all have sounds and, sounds all have colors for me. I see music and hear writing basically. To me it's normal and beautiful and, makes my career so much easier.

Do you know how easy it is to get the right colors and patterns into the stage lighting when you can see every song in the set list just by thinking of the title? :)

New Threads

Top Bottom