• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

OOPS, are you distracted by people in your space?

Mia

V.I.P Member
I am, yesterday I crashed into a metal barrier at high speed on the bike path. This is the third accident this summer. So far, two people have cut me off and I became so disoriented that I either crashed into something (like yesterday) or have fallen off my bike. Have lots of bruises but I'm otherwise all right. Although it looks like my bike has a twisted wheel.

Find that when people come into my personal space and I'm not pre-warned, it makes me nervous. I get a little startled, wobbly and I have to move away. Bang into furniture, doors, hit my hands on tables and chairs, and sometimes cut myself when chopping vegetables. Does this happen to you? I seem to go through periods of time where I have no accidents, and then a swath of days where I do.

Last edited:
Bicycles? Well, not really. But then it's been about ten years since I last rode my ten speed.

However, this reminds me of any time a very large and long semi-trailer is passing or paralleling me in the adjacent lane on the road or freeway. Where yes, I get uneasy and usually accelerate or decelerate so my immediate flank isn't all one massive, noisy vehicle paralleling me. Yeah....it spooks me at times.

Last edited:
Ouch! I'm glad your not hurt badly

Yes, people in my space is not good ever, and even worse is for someone I don't know well, to totally intrude and get up against me, talk in my face, or put their arm around me... Internally I'm freaking the hell out !
Yep, it weird but its my space... : )

Ouch, as another said!

Yes, very so!

I suddenly find myself so disarmed that ordinary things I do every day, become very complicated; for example: in the kitchen and someone comes to talk to me ( a rare guest).

I also jump, when someone comes up to me and places their hand on my shoulder or puts their hand to my hair, because I have fancy things on there.

I walk into things all the time when making room for people to pass. There's plenty of room without me moving, but my spatial awareness sucks and I don't want to seem rude by either blocking the way or bumping into someone. I'm the kind of person that comes into work with a black eye and walked into a door for real.

Beginning to think that I might get overwhelmed if too much is going on at once, and not have enough time to make a decision related to it. When the cyclist cut me off two days ago, I was attempting to pass someone on an electric bicycle, a group of children, and their parents. The cyclist I didn't even see, cut me off from the left, and was on the oncoming side going the wrong way, it's like a two-lane secondary road. So I didn't expect it. There are no right of way indicators on the bike path, and sometimes I wish there were.

Last edited:
i see people as generic objects that blend into the background so people dont get in my way as such,i have more of a problem of scanning them with my visual processing and becoming aware of them and thus interacting with them.
if i go somewhere where there is a lot of people together [ie a crowded place for example] it looks like a block of dark lines and colours to me which makes me anxious but i walk with a rollator [its a wheeled frame with handles,a seat] because of my autism and my physical disability and most people move when they see me coming which is handy,although some people seem to want to walk into me i feel like thumping them.

Unlike @Judge I don't get distracted like that, but that's probably because I drove an 18-wheeler for a couple years. The thing that distracts me is when I'm doing a task and someone gets right in my space while I'm trying to work. They don't even have to be in my way, but just there. For some reason that unnerves me and I lose all concentration on what I'm doing.

Up until last month the only car I've driven for the last 17 years was a very low-slung sports car. Where SUVs and semis pretty much block out my view of the road. Hopefully the next car I drive will be at least six nches higher, though I'm not sure if it will really help.

Hopefully the next car I drive will be at least six nches higher, though I'm not sure if it will really help.

When I drove the Jeep, I felt safer driving as I could see most things happening around me. Have a lower to the ground car now, and can't see everything.

When I drove the Jeep, I felt safer driving as I could see most things happening around me. Have a lower to the ground car now, and can't see everything.

My 2000 Celica GTS was lower than even a modern Chevrolet Camaro. :eek:

I couldn't see anything with vehicles on my side, in front or behind me. o_O

My 2000 Celica GTS was lower than even a modern Chevrolet Camaro.

Eek, not being able to see is frustrating because you can't predict who is going to do what!

The subaru we bought a few years ago seems so low, that I wondered how it would deal with the snow here. It seems to disperse the snow into the wheel wells and drop it down. Hate it as it builds up in the wells and freezes there. I have to wait until it thaws a bit and dig it out. Think it's an idiotic design for a climate with so much snow.

Me too, for some reason it happens more than it used to.
could it be the rise in phones and mp3 players-people getting seriously distracted by them,or do you think people are ruder and dont care? i have come across some idiots who expect YOU to move out the way instead of it being a two way decision- like they are royalty or something.

Eek, not being able to see is frustrating because you can't predict who is going to do what!

The subaru we bought a few years ago seems so low, that I wondered how it would deal with the snow here. It seems to disperse the snow into the wheel wells and drop it down. Hate it as it builds up in the wells and freezes there. I have to wait until it thaws a bit and dig it out. Think it's an idiotic design for a climate with so much snow.

What model Subaru? Here's a Canadian who seems quite happy driving his 2017 Impreza in the snow with that all wheel drive. (I'm looking at Subarus too, primarily given their all wheel drive.)

I agree, ground clearance can be a serious issue with snow buildup and ice. Even here in Nevada in winter!

Though what I really want is a Hyundai Elantra Sport...which is proving very difficult for the dealers to even locate. At least it is about six inches higher than my Toyota. But no all wheel drive either...but lots of power and fun...and most of all reliability.

Last edited:
could it be the rise in phones and mp3 players-people getting seriously distracted by them,or do you think people are ruder and dont care? i have come across some idiots who expect YOU to move out the way instead of it being a two way decision- like they are royalty or something.

Yeah, and it really makes me mad. Think some people are more distracted or even ruder. Seems like there is less politeness in the world than there used to be. When I went back to school in the nineties, there was this 'thing/fad' where all the students would crowd the stairwells, entrances, hallways, and you had to push your way through. People banged into you on purpose. Hadn't experienced that before.

What model Subaru? Here's a Canadian who seems quite happy driving his 2017 Impreza in the snow with that all wheel drive. (I'm looking at Subarus too, primarily given their all wheel drive.)

That's why we purchased it, it's a Subaru. It works well in the snow, it's when the temp's drop in the winter that the snow buildup comes into play. While you're driving the car it's fine, no matter how much buildup there is in the wheel wells. It's when it's parked for a few days in the cold that you have to chip out the wheel wells. It's not a serious problem though.

The four cycle boxer motor took a little getting used to after the 6 cylinder Jeep awd. It was a bit of a let-down in acceleration. But we got used to it. Did two months of research before we bought the car. Saw a lot of old subaru's still on the road up here, and they're pretty reliable. Looked for a car that could comfortably accommodate someone over six feet tall, and myself as well. Low on gas, and safety were other factors I considered. Remote starter and heated seats were a bonus in this climate in the winter.

Last edited:
The four cycle boxer motor took a little getting used to after the 6 cylinder Jeep awd. It was a bit of a let-down in acceleration. But we got used to it.

Hmmm. That's my greatest concern about all the Subarus with the boxer engine. Too underpowered at higher speeds. But then most of my life I've had an "enthusiast" perception of cars in general. For me there has to be a "fun factor" to some extent.

I'd like the height of an SUV, but came to the conclusion that they're simply more vehicle than I want- or really need. But it's true, I really am tired of not being able to see the road having sat so low to the ground all those years.

Funny about those Subarus. Seems they're all about every fourth vehicle you see in a parking lot here. Very popular in the mountains for the obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Hmmm. That's my greatest concern about all the Subarus with the boxer engine. Too underpowered at higher speeds.

It's actually pretty funny at times, and I do miss the Jeep for those reasons. Each time we drive up a hill in winter and the engine whines, my spouse looks at me as if it's my fault somehow. It's hilarious and I don't think he realizes he's doing it. :D

It's actually pretty funny at times, and I do miss the Jeep for those reasons. Each time we drive up a hill in winter and the engine whines, my spouse looks at me as if it's my fault somehow. It's hilarious and I don't think he realizes he's doing it. :D

Ouch. I can relate though. Well, as long as he's not truly "lugging" the engine going uphill! Yep, the boxer engine is known for being noisy under load.

My cousin's RAV4 was one of the last with a six cylinder engine. And at times that power came in handy when she really needed it at freeway speeds. Jeeps have power, but zero reliability. Yet they remain very popular. o_O

Actually I desperately want that Hyundai. But with two dealers working on it, they aren't coming up with a car after seven weeks. Despite two consecutive quarters of dismal sales for the entire automotive industry. Go figure. Meanwhile I'm marooned having sold my car for near blue book value last month. :mad:

Clearly the Canadians were having a blast with the Hyundai...lol.

Last edited:
UGH, that has to be nerve-racking next to a Kenworth running 80 MPH with 48' trailer . . . or worse, livestock.

Imagine being in the middle lane with two of them on both sides. Yeah...it can get unnerving. So I either speed up or slow down. Whatever it takes to get them past me or behind me.

New Threads

Top Bottom