• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

OOPS, are you distracted by people in your space?

It is unnerving, as you get the buffeting, roaring, and the ever-present thought, "Is one of these trucks going to blow a tire?"

Happened once, I was in the passenger seat and I could see the semi-trailer's middle tire shredding right beside me. I told my husband, who looked for a second and in the Jeep we got out of there really fast.

Happened once, I was in the passenger seat and I could see the semi-trailer's middle tire shredding right beside me. I told my husband, who looked for a second and in the Jeep we got out of there really fast.

That's ugly. Lurch agrees.

We pulled ahead but beside the truck for a few minutes, honking and flashing our lights and pointing and he slowed eventually and pulled off into the breakdown lane. It's didn't seem to blow then, looked like it just shredded in long strips that stayed attached to the tire from our view. We moved pretty quickly after that.

Last edited:
I hate being touched. It's hard to describe, but I guess I feel "off balance" when someone touches me. This is especially true when the touch is unexpected.

Whenever someone is close and they try to give that "playful pat" on the shoulder, I try to move away. If I can't move away, I feely face just contort in discomfort. I don't know.

Spouse fixed my bike, the back wheel wasn't damaged at all. It had been moved somehow out of place and was misaligned. I'm glad, I had hoped it was repairable and didn't want to wait for another complete wheel from Marin. The longer I wait the less I'll want to get back on the bike again, much like a horse. The bruises are healing.

I hate being touched. It's hard to describe, but I guess I feel "off balance" when someone touches me. This is especially true when the touch is unexpected.

Agree Coffee Cat, it startles me and in this case caused an accident. Wish I wasn't so easily startled, somehow my reaction time is slowed.

Yes, personal space is extremely important. It feels like wires are shorting out! When I as younger I hadn't no clue what was causing me distress. Glad your alright!

I hate it when people run around me and I try to follow them with my eyes and then I get this nauseous feeling. Other then that I calm myself by humming and I focus on my tasks like walking and trying not to bump into anyone.

I hate being crowded in, the more space the better. I feel uncomfortable and self-conscious when I have to sit next to people, its almost like they're giving off a signal that I can feel.

I hate being crowded in, the more space the better. I feel uncomfortable and self-conscious when I have to sit next to people, its almost like they're giving off a signal that I can feel.

My imaginary personal space circle is way bigger than most peoples

I dont want people I don't know touching me. I definetly don't want to smell or feel their breath on me... and like you sometimes it like I feel stuff and a lot of the time I do not like that feeling... : )

I despise physical proximity to others in cramped, noisy spaces such as kitchens, so I often cook my food once others have left.

Additionally, I tutored a student a few weeks ago in Calculus. I prepared an agenda meticulously for many hours and honed my Calculus kills to tackle the particular assignment with which the tutee requested aid.

When we got to the library, where the tutelage was happening, I sat with a wall directly to my right, so that my elbow, rested upon the chair arm, was touching the wall. My tutee sat very closely, on my left. The proximity evoked a feeling of being trapped which hindered my performance throughout the session. The only other chairs at the table were on the opposite side and it would have been an awkward stretch for my tutee and I to lean over the table to both view the assignment sideways. Plus, I wanted to accommodate my tutee well by sticking with the seating she wanted; she was paying, after all. I was required to put the tutee at ease; asking "Can we not sit so close?" would have been very awkward.

This reminds me of when I once applied for an insurance job. I was given an application to complete, but then the person who apparently was to interview me sat right down next to me as I tried to complete the form.

It was so unnerving to me at the time (job interviews of any kind always were to me) and I became so stressed I excused myself, citing I had to get another piece of information I left in the car. Of course I never returned. Too embarrassed and stressed.

New Threads

Top Bottom