• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Online Tests

I just want to add that a high test score on these tests may not necessarily mean you have Aspergers/autism. I have a good friend who scored a 38 on the AQ test which is fairly high but she is not on the spectrum, which she knows based on her experience and career working with the autistic population- She's the assistant director of a special needs school. Her score could mean she has some, or possibly even a lot of autistic traits/tendencies but is likely the complete opposite with other traits. On the other hand...I only scored a 26 on the test which is borderline but I feel like I probably do have it based on how strong some of those typical aspie traits are that I do have-particularly social interaction issues, my obsessive tendencies, and my sensory issues, but also how well I relate to what a lot of people on this site are talking about. (my friend thinks I am not on the spectrum though) I don't really want to spend the money to go for an evaluation/diagnosis at this point but I would still like to understand more if I am or not.

I just want to add that a high test score on these tests may not necessarily mean you have Aspergers/autism. I have a good friend who scored a 38 on the AQ test which is fairly high but she is not on the spectrum, which she knows based on her experience and career working with the autistic population- She's the assistant director of a special needs school. Her score could mean she has some, or possibly even a lot of autistic traits/tendencies but is likely the complete opposite with other traits. On the other hand...I only scored a 26 on the test which is borderline but I feel like I probably do have it based on how strong some of those typical aspie traits are that I do have-particularly social interaction issues, my obsessive tendencies, and my sensory issues, but also how well I relate to what a lot of people on this site are talking about. (my friend thinks I am not on the spectrum though) I don't really want to spend the money to go for an evaluation/diagnosis at this point but I would still like to understand more if I am or not.

I'm in the UK so thankfully I wouldn't have to pay for a diagnosis on the NHS.

I relate to so much I've seen on here too, and no one I know would think it either... If I'd never come here, I'd have never in a million years considered it, its only through reading other peoples posts I've thought, "that sounds very very familiar!"

I wouldn't bother with a diagnosis except not knowing drives me insane - its literally all I can think about right now, uncertainty makes me extremely anxious so to know one way or the other would at least take that stress off me :) xx

I relate to so much I've seen on here too, and no one I know would think it either... If I'd never come here, I'd have never in a million years considered it, its only through reading other peoples posts I've thought, "that sounds very very familiar!"

Indeed. I suspect that had I stuck to reading and analyzing only dry clinical and professional data it's quite probable that I would have simply shrugged off the notion that I might be on the spectrum.

It's the prolonged interaction with Aspies and reading their point of view that so validates my belief that I am in fact, on the spectrum of autism. Far more than any test results. They remain a "tool" of sorts, but they're only a small part of the process.

My own mother who works with the autistic population as well doesn't suspect that I have it either (not that she's mentioned to me at least, but I haven't actually brought it up to her because I am too embarrassed at this point to do so). She just knows I have sensory issues, which she has as well, and she attributes my rigid organizational skills/strong dislike of change in my life as quirks I've inherited from my dad. She doesn't really notice my struggles with maintaining friendships/social interactions because she knows I have a lot of friends and often have plans with them (she doesn't realize that I have a hard time forming close bonds with each of these people and that they are more casual group outings and such) I suppose most people don't realize in general that I may be on the spectrum because I am good at hiding it, and they just see me as simply an introverted person. On the other hand I am very good at reading peoples behavior/emotions, and showing empathy, and picking up sarcasm/humor and dishing it out which apparently goes against typical ASD behavior which explains my borderline AQ score. And in school I excelled academically and never had any type of LD so it easily went unnoticed there.

There are a lot of tests that are free online: ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Synesthesia, Dysgraphia, OCD, Personality Identity Disorder, General Anxiety, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Social Anxiety, phobias, and pretty much any mental disability/disorder, health problem, and personality disorder you can think of to name a few (Yes, this is comparatively a few compared to how many there actually are).

Depends on the test and who you talk to. For the MBTI personality test, some people swear by it and others are really skeptical. For MBTI personality test, there isn't a 100% chance the results will be accurate if you don't know exactly what the questions are referring to and what the letters mean. I don't consider autism traits to be a personality type, I consider it a factor weighing into one's person. You get a score that says you're ISFJ but the 'I' is 5% - doesn't make you undoubtedly ISFJ. Look at what it really means to be an 'I' and whatever other letter combination have you. Mind you, nobody is perfect and tests about people's minds will never be 100% fool-proof because a lot of it - especially personality - is all theoretical. The human mind can't fully understand itself; philosopher or genius, we just can't. That isn't to say that no online test can tell you anything about yourself. For skepticism's sake, I like to look at the explanations and the sources behind the results and make sure they add up instead of just accepting the result as fact. You can read about the meaning of the results and fill in any gaps for yourself if something if you feel it doesn't completely apply. (Hypothetically speaking, no one completely fits the bill of every single personality trait of a specific personality type). Personally, I like MBTI tests because they aren't so general, they're specific. Any test can tell you: 'you're a nice, kind person who likes to do things for people and you are intelligent, great problem-solver'. That could apply to anyone. MBTI explains in-depth your strengths and weaknesses and why - no type is described to be remotely similar as another. If you really know your stuff about it, you won't be confused between any two types (ESTP vs ESTJ) for example.

Now there are also online tests for Asperger's. The tricky thing about that is that you also, like MBTI, have to understand the meaning behind the questions. If there is any chance that your MBTI is INTJ, you have to be careful because INTJ looks a lot like mild Asperger's to say the least: 1. strong independence, 2. highly analytical, 3. tend to be less aware of social rules, 4. highly intelligent, 5. tend to focus on one interest intensely, 6. more interested in information than people, 7. inner world, 8. extremely logical. However, the root causes are different. They have social skills, but not naturally strong ones, although they can get better with practice whereas a true aspie cannot do this well. They can still read faces, tone, etc and INTJs definitely don't see things as being black-and-white, so to speak. INTJs are also very uncommon, making them more likely to feel misunderstood. A neurotypical INTJ won't have sensory issues. So when the aspie questionnaires ask: 'likes to be alone often' and 'tends to focus intensely on one subject of interest', it doesn't automatically disqualify a person from being an aspie, but neither does it make them an aspie. It's possible the person is both aspie and INTJ. INTJ does not make a person aspie and being aspie doesn't make a person INTJ, but it is still possible to be both. And . . . I just repeated myself. I know this is a lot, but bear with me. Now if you are not INTJ, it shouldn't be as complicated. Let me tell you that it took me several years to figure out that I was both and let me also say that it is confusing. So you have to be really careful not to integrate aspie traits into personality tests and ask yourself (if I was neurotypical) and for aspie tests, you have to make sure it's not your personality it's talking about because Asperger's is clinically considered a disability though they both have their pros and cons. A personality type is not a disability. Nor does it stem from one.

If you want to take a test on what kind of pizza you are, it's usually self-explanatory and vague. What kind of superpower would you have. 'shy, quiet, independent?' Of course it's going to pop up as invisibility. Cool, you're a vanilla milkshake because you're cool, open-minded, carefree, and get along with everyone. Congratulations. I wouldn't say those tests are scientifically proven by psychologists to be correct. No, I'm not saying you're not a vanilla milkshake if you were a milkshake. I'm saying they're more for the fun of it than to find your self-identity. Hello to anyone who got cheese pizza as the pizza they would be!

There are a lot of tests that are free online: ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Synesthesia, Dysgraphia, OCD, Personality Identity Disorder, General Anxiety, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Social Anxiety, phobias, and pretty much any mental disability/disorder, health problem, and personality disorder you can think of to name a few (Yes, this is comparatively a few compared to how many there actually are).

Depends on the test and who you talk to. For the MBTI personality test, some people swear by it and others are really skeptical. For MBTI personality test, there isn't a 100% chance the results will be accurate if you don't know exactly what the questions are referring to and what the letters mean. I don't consider autism traits to be a personality type, I consider it a factor weighing into one's person. You get a score that says you're ISFJ but the 'I' is 5% - doesn't make you undoubtedly ISFJ. Look at what it really means to be an 'I' and whatever other letter combination have you. Mind you, nobody is perfect and tests about people's minds will never be 100% fool-proof because a lot of it - especially personality - is all theoretical. The human mind can't fully understand itself; philosopher or genius, we just can't. That isn't to say that no online test can tell you anything about yourself. For skepticism's sake, I like to look at the explanations and the sources behind the results and make sure they add up instead of just accepting the result as fact. You can read about the meaning of the results and fill in any gaps for yourself if something if you feel it doesn't completely apply. (Hypothetically speaking, no one completely fits the bill of every single personality trait of a specific personality type). Personally, I like MBTI tests because they aren't so general, they're specific. Any test can tell you: 'you're a nice, kind person who likes to do things for people and you are intelligent, great problem-solver'. That could apply to anyone. MBTI explains in-depth your strengths and weaknesses and why - no type is described to be remotely similar as another. If you really know your stuff about it, you won't be confused between any two types (ESTP vs ESTJ) for example.

Now there are also online tests for Asperger's. The tricky thing about that is that you also, like MBTI, have to understand the meaning behind the questions. If there is any chance that your MBTI is INTJ, you have to be careful because INTJ looks a lot like mild Asperger's to say the least: 1. strong independence, 2. highly analytical, 3. tend to be less aware of social rules, 4. highly intelligent, 5. tend to focus on one interest intensely, 6. more interested in information than people, 7. inner world, 8. extremely logical. However, the root causes are different. They have social skills, but not naturally strong ones, although they can get better with practice whereas a true aspie cannot do this well. They can still read faces, tone, etc and INTJs definitely don't see things as being black-and-white, so to speak. INTJs are also very uncommon, making them more likely to feel misunderstood. A neurotypical INTJ won't have sensory issues. So when the aspie questionnaires ask: 'likes to be alone often' and 'tends to focus intensely on one subject of interest', it doesn't automatically disqualify a person from being an aspie, but neither does it make them an aspie. It's possible the person is both aspie and INTJ. INTJ does not make a person aspie and being aspie doesn't make a person INTJ, but it is still possible to be both. And . . . I just repeated myself. I know this is a lot, but bear with me. Now if you are not INTJ, it shouldn't be as complicated. Let me tell you that it took me several years to figure out that I was both and let me also say that it is confusing. So you have to be really careful not to integrate aspie traits into personality tests and ask yourself (if I was neurotypical) and for aspie tests, you have to make sure it's not your personality it's talking about because Asperger's is clinically considered a disability though they both have their pros and cons. A personality type is not a disability. Nor does it stem from one.

If you want to take a test on what kind of pizza you are, it's usually self-explanatory and vague. What kind of superpower would you have. 'shy, quiet, independent?' Of course it's going to pop up as invisibility. Cool, you're a vanilla milkshake because you're cool, open-minded, carefree, and get along with everyone. Congratulations. I wouldn't say those tests are scientifically proven by psychologists to be correct. No, I'm not saying you're not a vanilla milkshake if you were a milkshake. I'm saying they're more for the fun of it than to find your self-identity. Hello to anyone who got cheese pizza as the pizza they would be!

I am INFP-T. I'm not saying I take the tests as gospel, just that it, along with interacting here with Aspies and looking at myself and my behaviours and quirks it leads me to question whether to look further. :) x

Thing is, whatever you need to do for yourself might just as well be done by yourself. This isn't a medical condition that can be "treated." It is a challenge to be managed.

Many Aspies, like me, find drugs useless for mental help. I have insurance which is paying for some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and a weighted blanket, and that's about it for help from medical science. Were I a child in school there might be more organized help, but as someone in mid-life who just found out, there is not.

So I focus on coping strategies. My weight blanket has done wonders for sleep, so I got a weighted lap pad for work. (If anyone asks, it is therapy for my bad hip which complains about sitting.)

I have a Brainwaves app that really seems to be working for me. I can use different programs to signal my brain about its own waveform state. Apparently those with autism can have trouble shifting to a new state, and binaural strategies can help.

I have choices for waking up and going to sleep. Depending on what is going on, I can reduce stress or suggest a positive mood boost. I am very impressed so far.

My therapist is not expert on this because there is not much to choose from in this area. But we are still working out good strategies like when I work with strangers, I mentally put myself in a pretty bunker, where I have gold marble walls and a thick, cobalt blue, pane of glass between me and them. We can interact, but I am less likely to be overwhelmed.

Thing is, none of this requires a formal diagnosis. We all figure out for ourselves what the best thing to do, for ourself.

Because, most of the time, no one else knows how.

I don't think it does any harm to have a look at these tests. I would recommend the Cambridge tests as these are the ones used by the psychotherapy professionals in diagnosing ASDs: https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests
I also consider these to be indicators of neuro diversity, not of problems, or deficits. The results should be merely interesting, not worrying or damning, and certainly should not equate to a 'label'.

Insofar as formal diagnoses are concerned, it's probably only necessary if one needs access to services or have co-morbidities such as depression, OCD or Anxiety.

I don't think it does any harm to have a look at these tests. I would recommend the Cambridge tests as these are the ones used by the psychotherapy professionals in diagnosing ASDs: https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests
I also consider these to be indicators of neuro diversity, not of problems, or deficits. The results should be merely interesting, not worrying or damning, and certainly should not equate to a 'label'.

Insofar as formal diagnoses are concerned, it's probably only necessary if one needs access to services or have co-morbidities such as depression, OCD or Anxiety.

I have both high anxiety and depression.

Now the idea that I could be an aspie is in my head, I won't be able to stop thinking about it until I have a definitive answer one way or another - I often obsess over things, and this has become the latest thing :(

Indeed. I suspect that had I stuck to reading and analyzing only dry clinical and professional data it's quite probable that I would have simply shrugged off the notion that I might be on the spectrum.

It's the prolonged interaction with Aspies and reading their point of view that so validates my belief that I am in fact, on the spectrum of autism. Far more than any test results. They remain a "tool" of sorts, but they're only a small part of the process.

I suspect that, given the rapid decay of the English language currently underway worldwide, we could pinpoint Aspies purely by their adherence to writing in full sentences online and their use of correct grammar! (Your post was a pleasure to read!)

Now the idea that I could be an aspie is in my head, I won't be able to stop thinking about it until I have a definitive answer one way or another - I often obsess over things, and this has become the latest thing :(

It sounds a familiar story - there is a lot of information out there, so enjoy the process of learning. It can be unsettling, but I have found that, when you have found your particuar level ground, you'll have something tangible to push off from... After an initial period of grieving, after my diagnosis, (for the years I spent blaming myself for everything) it's been a journey of discovery, and the positives have far outweighed the negatives...

Last edited:
It sounds a familiar story - there is a lot of information out there, so enjoy the process of learning. It can be unsettling, but I have found that, when you have found your particuar level ground, you'll have something tangible to push off from... After an initial period of grieving my diagnosis, (for the years I spent blaming myself for everything) it's been a journey of discovery, and the positives have far outweighed the negatives...

Thankyou Chris :)

Well, finding out about neurodiversity is one obsession that will, in all likelihood, have a positive conclusion!

It really depends on the site, some are more accurate than others and mostly depend on how well the answer choices represent the person taking the test.

Can they be used for self-diagnosis? Of course, but so can anything. I don't think self-diagnosis should be held with any real regard, I mean if I self diagnosed myself everytime I got ill, I'd probably be a cancer survivor by now. :laughing: You know how the web MD type sites are. Really though, the most important part about testing is an objective assessment along with qualified education on the matter and you can't do that to yourself.

With that said, taking tests yourself can be a good indicator of whether you should try for an official diagnosis or not.

Mine was a lot like the RDOS one, and then a lot of questions about my childhood and then physical observations.

New Threads

Top Bottom