• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old Engineer studying society

Shevek

V.I.P Member
I had a classic "cold mother" so I inherited the AS, but got an attachment disorder as well. My behaviour may well have changed when I got vaccinated, not because of the contents, but because the experience, devoid of motherly comfort, made me suspicious of adults. For most of my life I didn't know the difference between EQ and IQ, so I expected people with social skills to have the smarts to understand my engineering. I also didn't know that many of them were also suffering from Dunning-Kruger Syndrome, and also considered themselves smarter than they were.
I trashed my life about every seven years, looking for a way to support a family without spending unsustainably, but the economy made that too tough for me, so I'm the last of my line. I expected my work to speak for itself, but now I see that what gets built is what the best salesmen dream up, not the best technicians. So now, I'm trying to dig out the deep subconscious "hard wiring" in the pre-verbal parts of the brain and put it into words.

welcome to af.png

Hi and Welcome @Shevek

I am interested to read your intro because I thought that the refrigerator mother theory for AS was no longer in common circulation. Nor does the link to vaccinations seem to be regarded as causal, that theory - and the paper behind it seem to have been retracted.

However, leaving that aside you are welcome here, do pull up a chair and join in.

BTW - what area of engineering were you involved with. I was in heavy engineering - maritime

I would be interested in your back ground, Having a engineering background myself chemical engineering technologist, there is ways to get others to follow your suggestions. I was very successful in my career. would be interested in showing you the path. when i was working I met a number of well educated people under employed, most were immigrants, all they needed was some one to show them the path to employment that better fit their education. I had a knack for this. If some thing is a process I have the ability to see a path through it.

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome @Shevek

I am interested to read your intro because I thought that the refrigerator mother theory for AS was no longer in common circulation. Nor does the link to vaccinations seem to be regarded as causal, that theory - and the paper behind it seem to have been retracted.

However, leaving that aside you are welcome here, do pull up a chair and join in.

BTW - what area of engineering were you involved with. I was in heavy engineering - maritime

I think that both those theories were dismissed too easily; the first because mothers are generally protected from criticism, and the second because everyone was focused on the content of the shot, not the experience of getting it.

My specialty was in human powered transportation and other benign technology. My boats won races right out of the box, because I applied the Froude equations to the propeller, instead of fussing over the Betz limit. If ocean going motor vessels would just deploy larger diameter, slimmer, slower turning propellers once they are out of shoal waters, they would get 20% better mileage. The more water you grab, the less it runs away from you, so it is not like running the wrong way on a people mover.

I would be interested in your back ground, Having a engineering background myself chemical engineering technologist, there is ways to get others to follow your suggestions. I was very successful in my career. would be interested in showing you the path. when i was working I met a number of well educated people under employed, most were immigrants, all they needed was some one to show them the path to employment that better fit their education. I had a knack for this. If some thing is a process I have the ability to see a path through it.
I flunked out of grade 12 with general knowledge over college grad level. When I decided to build velomobiles, I went to the library, and was then invited to lecture to graduating engineers. I expected to find a business partner to handle the talking - I thought my stuff spoke for itself well enough. I demonstrated a chassis with the suspension fully integrated, requiring no separate springs or pivots, and wrote it up for the trade press. Many others are still employed inching toward the same goal.

My expertise is in industrial painting, and industrial colour control, had to reinvent my self a couple of times due to job loss. the first lesson I learned, if you are unique even if you can see stuff others cannot. You need to build up credibility, the best way to do this is accredited education, This is deal breaker for many NT's when I realized my
formal training in engineering, was relegating me to a position paying way lower then my classmates. I knew even more education would be required. I found night school courses designed for the suppliers of coating's to the application industry. So I signed up, most of my class mates were chemists looking to get specialized education in manufacturing coatings. A couple of courses, gave me the respect and edge none of my peers had in the application end of the business, plus contacts. the more courses I took the more respect came my way, Job changes became easier. my name got around I noticed I was really interested in process control, The Japanese were really influencing the industry so I followed up my interest in quality control for improving processes, by taking certificates in statistical process control. I loved these courses Took every one I could find finally got a management certificate in quality control. Believe me it takes some doing to get the NT's to notice Once they see the money. your ideas generate they may not tell you to your face. they quietly respect behind your back.

I have meet many self trained people gifted, most likely Aspie, NT's like the piece of paper it proves to them you know what you say you know. from their perspective every one lies. My older brother when to university took engineering, refused to write a final paper to get his degree. worked for years lost his job due to mental issues.
no one took him seriously. wrote the final paper 15 years later, to get his degree. He was a genius still here stories about him from former work mates.

Last edited:
I got sent for a week of advanced training in composites for aircraft when my employer got nervous about my lack of papers. I had to pay attention for one afternoon, regarding paperwork. I lost respect for the educated when I thought I'd found a trick question in the first Gr. 9 science exam, and answered correctly. It was a typo, and I got a zero. More important horror stories about authority trampling science abound.
John Cleese has been taking a survey, asking people who he considers competent what percentage of their professional peers actually understand their subject, and it averages about 12%. I don't think I could still do good work with my head filled with details on how to convince people who can't understand the actual situation, hence my search for a partner.

The issue with us Aspies is we do not like misinformation, it is part of our nature unfortunately we are the minority.
the majority plays silly games they lie to each other . My brother found this out the hard way getting sick he was told your job is he was safe take the time you need. He believed every thing he was told doctors note did not protect him. New boss then no job. As I stated earlier he did not go to university to get a degree but rather an education.
His world view, was wrong. by the time one of his former professors convinced him to get the paper DEGREE, 15 years later it was too late, he never worked again. he died just before his 66th birthday. he was a very good debater
but the only person he convinced about the how the world should work was himself.

One of my closest friends has a story similar to yours dropped out of grade13. Sort of cutting your nose off in spite of your face. he got a 0 on a chemistry test.
I failed math in grade 9 took grade 11 and 12 math concurrently to catch up, told it would not be possible what do they know. they were wrong I passed both. Then took lots of advanced math courses in grade 13, passed them all. Have faith in yourself, what others think does matter.

Last edited:
It took me a long time to realize how much degrees can matter, and I still don't think I could endure the process to get one. I'm retired from engineering now, and taking a very long shot at changing things, but I follow my talent, and all the chaos of my life is pointing toward a way to understand how the herd actually moves, guided by instincts that have mostly been obsolete since the invention of modern agriculture, trade, and food storage.

Hello and welcome, I hope you will find out useful ideas here, and enjoy the site.

New Threads

Top Bottom