• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old Army IQ Test

BoltzmannBrain17

I found an automated old army IQ test recently. Interestingly it seems to have resisted the Flynn effect and factor analysis has showed that it's g-loading is around .91, which is around the g-loading of high quality professional IQ tests. I'm curious as to what some of you guys will score. The test takes 40 minutes.

I'm curious as to what some of you guys will score.
I like trying these tests and generally do well on them, but sharing such scores with the general public is a bit immodest. Whether you have a flattering score or an unflattering one, it is like publicizing your bra or jock size.

Even in Mensa, it is considered bad taste to share scores outside of some analytical context.

Personally, I am not offended by someone else having a higher score (than me).
If they are likable, their score does not change that.
If they are not likable, their score does not change that.

Last edited:
A strange test.

I'd been given a professional test awhile back for... some reason, and it was very different than this. Split into way more subjects/types, while this is only three.

Though, this sort of thing with me gets kinda wobbly. Vocabulary is just memory of language. Ability to answer those is mainly based on just the fact that I'm an avid reader. The spacial ones? Very easy, that's sorta my default mode of thinking.

But math? Mostly random guesses. Dyscalculia, you see. Cant do it. I cant process almost all types of math. No, seriously, I have to count on my fingers. This is exactly as embarrassing as it sounds and I dont let anyone see me do it, and have never told anyone about it outside of this forum. No amount of learning or overall intelligence will bypass that. As it is, if you give me paper and a pencil, I can do addition and subtraction, but it takes a bit of time. Multiplication will be very slow, likely with errors, and I cant do multi-digit numbers. Division will be met with a blank stare, or I'll just throw a chair.

As it is, back in school I replaced what would be math knowledge with knowledge of technology and logic. Computers can perform the calculations, while logic can be used to determine the structure of the formulas they need to use. Up to a certain point, that is... past a certain level of complexity, this breaks down. Within the possible complexity, they are inefficient formulas, but they do work even if I dont quite understand how it is happening. Sorta the equivalent of duct-taping a car back together (well, that's the amusing way I like to say it, anyway). I cannot handle the actual numbers themselves, cannot perform the calculations myself without a machine to do it, but I can at least squash them into a somewhat warped version of the right shape for the machine to then use. It's how I manage to do game development stuff even with dyscalculia. None of that works on the problems in this test, though. So, random guesses, mostly just makes me feel like a doofus, as any number interaction does.

None of that is helped by the fact that school made me *DESPISE* the subject.

Overall... the test just seemed like it was missing a ton of question types. Like it only tested a couple of sections of intelligence, and missed a bunch of others. Based on comparing it to what my other test was like (which also took much longer as there was just a lot more of it).

As for sharing the score, ehhh. People get weird about that. Honestly if for whatever baffling reason someone wants to know how smart I might be, well... just get to know me, yeah? Judge it for yourself after spending time with me. Sometimes I can be smart, other times I count on my fingers or do airheaded things like try to open a hotel room door with my car remote. I'm a bit of a space-case, always have been.

Regardless, it was an interesting experience. Despite the math thing. That part can go jump into a fire.

A strange test.

I'd been given a professional test awhile back for... some reason, and it was very different than this. Split into way more subjects/types, while this is only three.

Though, this sort of thing with me gets kinda wobbly. Vocabulary is just memory of language. Ability to answer those is mainly based on just the fact that I'm an avid reader. The spacial ones? Very easy, that's sorta my default mode of thinking.

But math? Mostly random guesses. Dyscalculia, you see. Cant do it. I cant process almost all types of math. No, seriously, I have to count on my fingers. This is exactly as embarrassing as it sounds and I dont let anyone see me do it, and have never told anyone about it outside of this forum. No amount of learning or overall intelligence will bypass that. As it is, if you give me paper and a pencil, I can do addition and subtraction, but it takes a bit of time. Multiplication will be very slow, likely with errors, and I cant do multi-digit numbers. Division will be met with a blank stare, or I'll just throw a chair.

As it is, back in school I replaced what would be math knowledge with knowledge of technology and logic. Computers can perform the calculations, while logic can be used to determine the structure of the formulas they need to use. Up to a certain point, that is... past a certain level of complexity, this breaks down. Within the possible complexity, they are inefficient formulas, but they do work even if I dont quite understand how it is happening. Sorta the equivalent of duct-taping a car back together (well, that's the amusing way I like to say it, anyway). I cannot handle the actual numbers themselves, cannot perform the calculations myself without a machine to do it, but I can at least squash them into a somewhat warped version of the right shape for the machine to then use. It's how I manage to do game development stuff even with dyscalculia. None of that works on the problems in this test, though. So, random guesses, mostly just makes me feel like a doofus, as any number interaction does.

None of that is helped by the fact that school made me *DESPISE* the subject.

Overall... the test just seemed like it was missing a ton of question types. Like it only tested a couple of sections of intelligence, and missed a bunch of others. Based on comparing it to what my other test was like (which also took much longer as there was just a lot more of it).

As for sharing the score, ehhh. People get weird about that. Honestly if for whatever baffling reason someone wants to know how smart I might be, well... just get to know me, yeah? Judge it for yourself after spending time with me. Sometimes I can be smart, other times I count on my fingers or do airheaded things like try to open a hotel room door with my car remote. I'm a bit of a space-case, always have been.

Regardless, it was an interesting experience. Despite the math thing. That part can go jump into a fire.
Wide variability in subject areas is also an indicator for us, I think I remember reading somewhere?
So age 10 in 5th grade, I was reading at 12th grade level . . . but my math was stuck in 2nd grade, in spite of all the trouble Sister Adelaide took with my long division in grade 4.
My husband the mechanical engineer laughs when I count on my fingers, and I have to have paper and pencil for any number larger than 10 ;) and I add from left to right creating multiple columns just like his Mom used to do - but we both come out with the correct answer and our checkbooks balance to the penny :)

No math is not my friend, either
But I was a cobol dinosaur on my state's finance system for 34 years
We all have our individual talents and abilities

The box questions were tricky.
I haven't seen that type of question before. Their novelty slowed me down a little bit, but I know from previous tests that processing speed is not my strong suit.

My brain was starting to fizz by question 59. I think I did very well until that point but then I gave up. I hate those maths style questions they key hammering out.

Ed

I'm not going to give a number here, but the rest of the results are as follows:

Verbal % Correct: 68%

Quantitative % Correct: 69%

Visual Spatial % Correct: 63%

You answered 79% of the verbal questions, 76% of the quantitative questions, and 70% of the visual spatial questions.

The box questions threw me off a little until I had to remember that all the boxes in a question are the same size, regardless of how they were stacked. A question with a 2x1 box means ALL the other boxes shown are 2x1, not all mixed in size like a 1x1 box on top of a 2x1 with a 3x1 under both. That meant having to find any hidden boxes, which I wasn't too sure of on some of those questions.

Verbal wasn't too difficult, and I could handle all the math up until the second half. You'd need a solid grasp on math for the harder questions and some scratch paper, which I didn't but should have used for this test.

I've always scored high on these quotient tests, but I feel like all they really amount to is that I can come to a correct answer however much faster than whatever number of others (and likely still slower than others). It's like a 40 yard dash time for brains. Weirdest part of them for me...is that I find them fun. Oops.

Verbal % Correct: 45%

Quantitative % Correct: 33%

Visual Spatial % Correct: 28%

You answered 100% of the verbal questions, 98% of the quantitative questions, and 98% of the visual spatial questions.

yeah i don't really like this tests :upsidedown:

New Threads

Top Bottom