• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

OK, this is embarrassing.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
One of my duties on Fridays is to take out all of the trash cans in the office. I seriously thought I did that last Friday. The bookkeeper there is now telling me that I did not and that they are now overflowing. I apologized, but the damage has been done to my reputation there especially since she accused me of lying to her about this

Maybe becoming a NEET and focusing all of my efforts on being an Internet film critic is not such a bad idea for me after all.

The thing is I had a very active film criticism website 15 years ago and I was slowly building a loyal audience. I could have made a name for myself with that website if I did not let my mother bully me into shutting it down.

I can realistically live off my SSDI check alone. Money will be tighter than I am used to, but I can get used to that and adapt. I have one friend who is a happy neet who watches movies all day every day. The only thing keeping me from taking that route is the knowledge that my family will harass the hell out of me if I did that.

I'll share a couple of embarrassing work stories, if it will help you feel better:

Once my apron string caught the neck of a wine bottle on a display and it yanked it off and shattered on the floor in front of the manager and customers. When we had dealt with that spillage, I walked past again, only for my shirt sleeve to catch the same display and yank another bottle onto the floor. In front of another manager and more customers...

Then there was the time a coworker squeezed a tub of cream too hard for some reason and it burst all over me and her, on the day the area manager was visiting for an inspection. Cue the 2 of us trying to avoid being seen, while covered in cream, hiding in cupboards, avoiding managers, starting to smell of cream slowly getting warmer. Trying to improvise a way to get cleaned up. She was allowed to go home, I had to smell of stale cream for the rest of the day. Then there were the dirty innuendos for the rest of the time we worked there...

Another coworker managed to lock important keys in a cupboard and the company had to fly a locksmith over from Ireland at considerable expense.

One of my duties on Fridays is to take out all of the trash cans in the office. I seriously thought I did that last Friday. The bookkeeper there is now telling me that I did not and that they are now overflowing. I apologized, but the damage has been done to my reputation there especially since she accused me of lying to her about this

Maybe becoming a NEET and focusing all of my efforts on being an Internet film critic is not such a bad idea for me after all.
Wow, imagine if someone just forgot something or thought they had done it already. How dare you forget something that is so minor! This book keeper is ridiculous And causing problems for the sake of it. You apologized. It was a small mistake, not a major one. She needs to “get a grip”.

My two cents is to ignore the accusations by the bookkeeper. Some people find weakness in people and relentlessly pound on them just for something to do AND to distract from their own incompetence. I suggest you don't take anything they say as a sincere attempt to communicate. Minimum interaction with this one. Plus, it's a trash can, who cares. You aren't saving lives nor are they a legit safety concern - an argument could be made for safety, but it would really be pushing it.

About fifteen years ago I had a buddy who wanted to be a film critic, so I was exposed to "the scene" back then. He had a giant projection TV and a wall of DVDs and Blu-rays (thousands of movies). He wrote a weekly blog about whatever movie he bought and, apparently, had somewhat of a following too. But it never went anywhere, and I think it's because that was a transitional period between mass appeal and niche appeal. The most popular YouTube critics of today would not have had a job in the LOTR days because it was all about mass appeal. Today it's all about niche appeal. So, if you go forward being a critic, make sure you don't use the same approach you did back then.

The mere thought of being free from this job with the outrageous commute and the social tasks which are a poor match for my skills set - it brings me happiness. I can live off my SSDI alone for eternity where I am living now realistically. I want liberation. I am unhappy with my current job.

Everyone makes mistakes. I am a very forgetful person. I tend to work on a task and then I get distracted and easily forget what I was doing. I am thankful people around me are forgiving and understanding. I’m sorry one small mistake has caused you trouble at you job.

The mere thought of being free from this job with the outrageous commute and the social tasks which are a poor match for my skills set - it brings me happiness. I can live off my SSDI alone for eternity where I am living now realistically. I want liberation. I am unhappy with my current job.
Is it worth it? You seem to know the answer. You’re doing so many wonderful things already Metalhead. And if you feel like you’re unhappy with this job and that it is causing so much on you, is it worth it? Really hope that you can find something that does make you happy. You deserve it.=)
Everyone makes mistakes. I am a very forgetful person. I tend to work on a task and then I get distracted and easily forget what I was doing. I am thankful people around me are forgiving and understanding. I’m sorry one small mistake has caused you trouble at you job.
That’s very good that people understand and forgive you. I do use sticky notes to remind myself to do something for the day and then time it for the length of time with An alarm set to “wake me” because I tend to hyper focus on my task. Although trying to snap out and not panic when I hear the alarm is quite a difference…

That’s very good that people understand and forgive you. I do use sticky notes to remind myself to do something for the day and then time it for the length of time with An alarm set to “wake me” because I tend to hyper focus on my task. Although trying to snap out and not panic when I hear the alarm is quite a difference…
I hate the sound of alarms they make me panic. Being timed for a task easily makes my performance worse because I don’t do well with the pressure. I also can’t set an alarm to get up at a certain time because I wake up in a panic and have the sweats.

The thing is I had a very active film criticism website 15 years ago and I was slowly building a loyal audience. I could have made a name for myself with that website if I did not let my mother bully me into shutting it down.
Resurrect your old film website. If you had a lot of followers then, it must have been good. I can understand your being bullied into shutting it down years ago, but I have seen you grow much stronger in the time since I "met" you here. Are you strong enough to stand up to them? It is your life and you are living on your own, do what you need to do, I suggest you try to stay with your job until you start making income as a film critic. I look forward to seeing you listed alongside Siskel, Ebert, Malten, and others.

Bear in mind, the bookkeeper is not your boss (I'll assume) and therefore is just stating an opinion really

Every employee will make the odd mistake here and there, I suspect you are overthinking what people think about you, unless there has been previous history of similar things... You certainly should not get fired over something like this, just don't let it happen again and find a way to perhaps remind yourself

watches movies all day every day. The
This doesn’t sound like a good plan for long term satisfaction.

… unless you turn it into a film critic site revival!

I think that especially for someone in recovery, some sort of structure and responsibility throughout the day is important and helpful. That doesn’t need to be going to work, but creating some obligations for yourself might be a good idea if you did leave your current job.

Hi Metalhead. Try looking for another job while keeping the one you do have. Then you can switch over and try to hope for a better environment. This is a good way to transition out, stay independent, and keep your family's respect and contentment. It makes you a better potential partner for other(s) out there to try to stay employed rather than depend on living on an SSDI check (only) too.

There seems to be a real problem in the world when it comes to concepts such as an error of memory and a deliberate attempt to deceive. One is a mistake, the other is a lie.

Maybe I should put this in the pet peeve thread, but the definition of a "lie" seems to be getting stretched. It really irritates me and it irritates me when I hear of, or see it happening to others.

It drives me mad when I find myself being attacked for "lying" when I'm not. Being mistaken is not equivocal to lying.

New Threads

Top Bottom