• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

offensive stereotyping

Was she referring to "stealing" from one number to another in arithmetic? I thought "borrow" and "steal" were used interchangeably in the instruction of simple mathematics.

The woman’s entire purpose on that show is to make fun of the contestants, so I don’t really see why people would be outraged that she did just that. The joke doesn’t seem that offensive to me, but since I’m not from Liverpool (or the UK) I’m not really in a place to judge.

Jokes are jokes. For me, it becomes tedious and irksome the moment someone takes offence because they took a joke literally.

Ed

I try too hard to make jokes and they sometimes come out with secondary and tertiary insinuations that I hadn't thought of prior to the utterance. I call it "The Tragedy of the Try." I almost always leave a party (prior to COVID) regretting a line or two. I would chalk it up to something like that. Unless she has a pattern of insulting Liverpoolers, I would not worry about it.

The world is full of political correctness like it hasn't been before in my lifetime. Just today I was trying to set up a financial account and it wanted me to select and answer a secret question for account verification. The question I selected was, "What was your first pet's name?"

To which I responded, "Lassie." The very first dog I ever had got that name because of the TV series "Lassie", the book, "Lassie Come-Home," and multiple "Lassie" movies. (The most recent was in 2005.) Lassie is arguably the most famous dog name in the world. It is a word from the Scotch-English dialect meaning little girl and colloquially can mean any member of the rough collie breed.

To which the system responded that it wasn't an allowed answer to the secret question because it was an ethnic, racial or gender-based slur.

I am ready to lay down and die. The world has no use for me anymore.

The world is full of political correctness like it hasn't been before in my lifetime. Just today I was trying to set up a financial account and it wanted me to select and answer a secret question for account verification. The question I selected was, "What was your first pet's name?"

To which the system responded that it wasn't an allowed answer to the secret question because it was an ethnic, racial or gender-based slur.

I am ready to lay down and die. The world has no use for me anymore.

That happened to me as well. Couldn't even enter my first pet's name. A name that is a first name for a number of people, including a famous sports personality. Go figure.

I once put in Saltwater to name my island in Tomodachi Life and it got censored because it thought it was a bad word. I went on the Nintendo sub on reddit and asked why was this name so bad and someone wrote salTWATer.

Dumb computer system on their end. It was Salt Water.

I once put in Saltwater to name my island in Tomodachi Life and it got censored because it thought it was a bad word. I went on the Nintendo sub on reddit and asked why was this name so bad and someone wrote salTWATer.

I reject the idea that the world is becoming too "PC" (politically correct). To me, what is happening is we are uprooting the horrible terms and expressions that we have all grown up with (sometimes for generations) that hold no real meaning for us, but are and WERE meant to be insulting and divisive when originally implemented. Take for instance saying, "God bless you," when someone sneezes. On its face, there's nothing wrong with that, but it was originally a moniker for "I hope you don't die from that disease you obviously have." Kind of dark... And, there's nothing wrong with re-evaluating your language and idioms to root out that which is offensive and has been used offensively in the past. The only reason is uncomfortable now is because it seems normal to us that these exist and we have all used them, not understanding their terrible origins. Unbeknownst to us, we have been regurgitating slanderous, sometimes racist, phrases. Wouldn't any rational person say, "Wow, I had no idea. I'll stop doing that because to continue to do it knowing what I know makes me a jerk." I think that's all this is: Spring Cleaning of our language. Which is a good thing. As an example: I didn't know that "Jay Walking" was an offensive term. But it was used to demean someone who lacks sophistication of city ways. But that was the motus operandi of people in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. They had a habit of using pejorative terms as descriptors instead of just being a bit more professional. We are in a more sophisticated society and we should reflect that in our mannerisms, speech, language and actions. That's all.

To your point, though, yes. It is a vulgarity filter looking for that combination of letters no matter what. The code used to filter vulgar language could have first pointed to a library of common words, but it didn't. You overcame the limitations, though, and were able to use the name you wanted, if not for a minor change. It was silly, agreed.

To your point, though, yes. It is a vulgarity filter looking for that combination of letters no matter what. The code used to filter vulgar language could have first pointed to a library of common words, but it didn't. You overcame the limitations, though, and were able to use the name you wanted, if not for a minor change. It was silly, agreed.

I couldn't use the name because no matter what, it still kept saying no innaproppioate language. So I had to pick another island name.

I guess Nintendo also recognized people will go around word filters so they put that cap in and it filtered out innocent words.

People who complain about PC are the ones who usually like to say offensive and rude things and say other racist stuff.

The problem is, things get normalized and we auto accept it and then when a change occurs, we do not like it. I have even seen people say not saying the N word is PC, same as for C***naman. Some think just because they have black friends, they can say the word or think they can just say it when they are not using it as a slur.

People who complain about PC are the ones who usually like to say offensive and rude things and say other racist stuff.

The problem is, things get normalized and we auto accept it and then when a change occurs, we do not like it. I have even seen people say not saying the N word is PC, same as for C***naman. Some think just because they have black friends, they can say the word or think they can just say it when they are not using it as a slur.
Actually, I find that rude and offensive. You are saying that I probably "like to say offensive and rude things and say other racist stuff."

As a general rule, it is foolish to take offense when no offense is offended. You are just adding to the pain in the world.

Actually, I find that rude and offensive. You are saying that I probably "like to say offensive and rude things and say other racist stuff."

As a general rule, it is foolish to take offense when no offense is offended. You are just adding to the pain in the world.

That was a response to autism Dad about PC stuff. I agree with him about rejecting that the world is becoming too PC and I fail to understand how my post related to you. Are you seriously telling me you are fine with people saying the N word? Just because people don't get offended by the word doesn't make it right or not racist.

@Kit I once played a video game in which the profanity filters censored the name of one of their own NPC’s. I thought it was very funny.

@Kit I once played a video game in which the profanity filters censored the name of one of their own NPC’s. I thought it was very funny.

Just a reason why I do not trust computers and why I always want a real human to talk to.

Funny story, Facebook has this filter for Facebook Market and it auto approves listings. I decided to sell my duplicate Bowser Jr Amiibo and somehow it was not approved because it violated the guidelines. I looked at them and my item fit none of them and this was a gaming accessory. So I filed an appeal and said how is this gaming accessory violating the terms, I don't see anything about not being able to sell gaming accessories.

I talked to my husband about it and he asked me if the toy had a gun and stuff and I said it did not and he asked me what was the character and I said "Bowser Jr." and he said "that is why, it had spikes and the computer saw it as a weapon."

You cannot sell firearm or weapons on Facebook market.

The listing was approved eventually but I ended up taking it down and took it back and exchanged it since they don't do refunds, only exchanges.

I disagree with PC because it impedes my beliefs, I can't talk about Christianity without someone immediately saying homophobia, it's like I said Christian and they heard I hate homosexuals.

I disagree with PC because it impedes my beliefs, I can't talk about Christianity without someone immediately saying homophobia, it's like I said Christian and they heard I hate homosexuals.

If you are against homosexuality or gay marriages, that would be homophobia.

But if someone is just assuming you are against homosexuality just because you are Christian, they are just making that false assumption about you and I wouldn't call it this PC, just them being an idiot. Jumping to that conclusion about you just because you are Christian.

Kind of reminds me when a teacher took out the word Gay out of "deck the halls" and people told me online, "that wasn't being PC, that was her being an idiot" when I thought there was a war on Christmas and PC had taken over it so I posted a source to that story.

Last edited:
If you are against homosexuality or gay marriages, that would be homophobia.

But if someone is just assuming you are against homosexuality just because you are Christian, they are just making that false assumption about you and I wouldn't call it this PC, just them being an idiot. Jumping to that conclusion about you just because you are Christian.

Kind of reminds me when a teacher took out the word Gay out of "deck the halls" and people told me online, "that wasn't being PC, that was her being an idiot" when I thought there was a war on Christmas and PC had taken over it so I posted a source so that story.
But the problem is teachers have a hard job! and how ?do you know if someone is going to complain!, how many people use the original meaning of the word gay ?

She should teach her students some old English, like arse !it's just a description of the word buttocks, again perverted by some.

English English is a mix of a change of word meaning and not !a change ,based on your level of study in English language ,literature.

New Threads

Top Bottom