• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Odd things

The thread as a whole reminds me of Jen Birch's biography 'Congratulations, its Aspergers Syndrome'. She was ridiculed for such 'bizarre' interests as having hens! Seems pretty normal to me, even more so if one is in the countryside. My wife was hassled for reading. The real question is why do we have to feel embarrassed for enjoying ordinary things?

That just reminded me of this Bill Hicks bit...

A while ago a friend couldn't understand why I buy second hand books because, you know, they make new, fresh ones :rolleyes: Like that makes the old ones obsolete or so. Didn't get it. Nor do I see what's so strange about keeping and using typewriters around, or the tapedeck and walkman I bought a while ago, or the multitrack tape recorders, or even vinyl records. All stuff someone at some time has uttered some critique about. Or the old photo developing enlarger, which I use to blow up and trace drawings and pictures. They all have their use, it's not even that odd.

I haven't even begun getting really odd stuff. I'd really like a sextant for example, or a human skull to talk to, or one of those classroom skeletons, a stuffed raven,... Those'd be nice to have around.

Anyway... to some people everything that's not theirs is regarded as odd and bizarre and 'junk' it seems. Don't let them put you down for having interests.

Most of my interests tend to be typical for someone my age in my area, such as the outdoors and computers. The only real interest I have that I hide is my interest in real estate. It's not weird, but I guess I hide it because I'm unemployed and it seems like something I shouldn't be taking interest in as someone in my position. I especially like judging the more expensive housing. It's funny what people try to pass as a multimillion dollar home these days (might have been worth $2mil in the '80's but now... Yuck!).

The one interest I have that's odd to other people is vandwelling. Basically it's a van converted into a small RV, but you live in it fulltime. I, personally, don't find it odd, but most people tend to associate vandwelling with homelessness and deviants of sorts. However, most people I've found who vandwell tend to be young 'work-at-home' professionals, who want to keep costs down while being able to travel, and who don't want the cost and size of a traditional RV. Because of that I find there's a bit of romanticism to it. I'd love to do my own conversation one day.

The one interest I have that's odd to other people is van dwelling. Basically it's a van converted into a small RV, but you live in it full time.

That's the first time I have seen that term to describe the style of housing.
(So, of course I looked it up.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers/
It's similar to Tiny House living, at least as far as space.
Also, some 'tiny houses' are movable.:)

The one interest I have that's odd to other people is vandwelling. Basically it's a van converted into a small RV, but you live in it fulltime. I, personally, don't find it odd, but most people tend to associate vandwelling with homelessness and deviants of sorts. However, most people I've found who vandwell tend to be young 'work-at-home' professionals, who want to keep costs down while being able to travel, and who don't want the cost and size of a traditional RV. Because of that I find there's a bit of romanticism to it. I'd love to do my own conversation one day.
One of my brothers would like to do that.

I collect penguins too, not unusual, but I have an entire display cabinet dedicated to them that's overflowing! Their taking over the house. ☺

That's the first time I have seen that term to describe the style of housing.
(So, of course I looked it up.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers/
It's similar to Tiny House living, at least as far as space.
Also, some 'tiny houses' are movable.:)

I've been looking into the Tiny House thing, as I wouldn't mind constructing one of those, but building laws here seem to thwart any such endeavour. Grmbl grmbl. Even vandwelling has been made nigh impossible. They don't like people moving around too much around here. More grmbls.

Anyway, perhaps the pipe collection I stole from my dad after he stopped smoking might count as odd enough. I quite like those; wished I used them more. And also on the want list: tiki mugs! And a theremin.

I have a pretty extensive collection of very rare new in box Cox nitromethane model airplane racing engines I buy,sell and trade to support my flying model habit. Yeah kids,I am into the old school planes that fly in circles on two control lines,not that expensive radio control video game like stuff that is all the rage now a days. U-control lets you feel the engine run in your hand and you experience every bump the aircraft hits in the air while it is flying. Besides that,my blind old eyes let me down for distance,so a radio controlled crash is inevitable. It's hell getting older :rolleyes:
It kind of became an obsession to buy up as many Cox .010 cubic inch engines as possible to add to my collection of seven of them so far. The production run was from 1962 to 2000. I have every version made from 1968 forward,but still want one of the first production run engines to finish an entire set.I have seen the ones I have pull $250 when the supply doesn't meet the demand. The highest price I ever paid for one was $100. I hope to sell them about 10 years from now when my newest one becomes an antique and make a decent return on investment born of an obsession. Hide it? No, brag about it :D
In my travels thru the auction sites looking for the smallest production internal combustion engines ever made,I run across a lot of nice product that the seller knows nothing about. I spotted a very rare 1957 Cox .049 cubic inch engine because I know them inside and out(insert massive autie moment here) from the second half year of production.
It was made immediately after correcting some design flaws from the first part of the year that caused the engines to fail. Leroy Cox had made engines prior to designing that .049,but outsourced a few internals from another engine manufacturer. The Cox .049 went on to be produced in quantities of one million a year for over 50 years and are still offered today for about $50.
When my super rare $35 purchase arrived,I was quite surprised to see that it had never been run.
I have had $500 offers for an engine that originally sold for a mere $4.95 but still covet it too much to let it go. :p

I have always been a "collector" of things but recently realised it was bordering on hoarding. Some things may be considered odd (vintage tablecloths and embroidered pillow cases? ) but they're not too unusual, I think. As for hiding them... I avoid letting people into my house, full stop. Then I don't have to put it away.:D I do highly value my privacy and having my house and garden obscured from neighbours and the road is important for my sense of security and comfort. There is a strong instinct in me to conceal my things and present a neutral/unreadable front.

I do tend to shove things into cupboards when visitors come but there isn't much spare space any more. We live in a very small house by modern standards, but not a Tiny House. I love those, and vandwelling, but we have too many hobbies to be able to do it. When we are "retired" (I, from my busy career of staying at home...) we plan to vandwell and travel.

I hate clutter so don't like to collect and love to throw away and clean. I have noticed tho that I like to stock pile cleaning products and feel more secure when I have at least six bottles of bleach and as many packs of anti bac wipes. A bit embarrassing to admit [emoji53]

I grew up in a hoarder's house, so my instinct nowadays is "Do not do it."
However, growing up I collected a good portion of everything. Ladybugs, stuffed animals, golf balls found at the side of the road, butterflies, cool lamps, horses, dolphins, books, manga, disassembled tech, found playing cards, the list goes on. Mostly things were acquired at yard sales. Most of them embarrassed me due to the sheer volume.
Now, confined to a vandwelling sort of situation (I live in the back of a 1992 Volvo stationwagon), my collections are:
Precisely the amount of knitting and sewing materials that fit into the passenger's side foot compartment, first edition books that have been defaced in some way, zines, and a sadly large amount of comics. The book-defacing makes people angry, so I tend to hide them, and the comic collection is mocked and loved in equal measures, so its presence is usually delayed.

My appreciation for finer machinery caught my interest in firearms too.
I understand you totally :D
There is no such thing as too many firearms.

When I was a kid and it was still cool to play Combat, Cowboys & Indians, Cops & Robbers, anything like that, I had a collection of toy guns that was remarkable. I had enough toy guns to outfit an infantry platoon, up to and including a couple of belt fed "machine guns" I built myself out of wooden cheese boxes, broom handles, perforated plastic pipe, tripods from old telescopes, and a particular model of soldering gun. We had great fun with our toys.

Today, I collect firearms. And I can still outfit an infantry squad, provided they all like Mosin Nagants. (What's not to like? It's about the simplest bolt action rifle there is, easy to maintain, and capable of minute of angle accuracy if they have a sound bore and you give them a little TLC. They are the best bargain in milsurp longarms in the world today.) My wife grumbles about them but not that loudly. I pointed out that my hobby cost a lot less than a mistress.

Okay, enough is enough, I've tried subtle, that obviously didn't work, so... If you want to talk about guns, start another thread. I started this one to talk about unusual collections and obsessions. I don't even own a gun and I'm not interested in them.
BIMOG, guns can be collected just as stamps, coins, cars, books, and anything else can be. It's as legitimate a hobby as any other hobby involving collecting. And as with any hobby that involves things you can use, gun collectors have "shootin' guns" and "collectin' guns." Here is an example.

I own a respectable number of Mosin Nagant rifles. I have a few that are shooters, and more that are collectors. I started out trying to create a "type collection," one of each iteration for the design. Then I started trying to get one from each major arsenal that made them. ( For instance, Chatellerault, the French arsenal that manufactured the first Model 1891s, is the hard one to find, especially as they only made half a million of them. They are not easily come by a century and a quarter later. Mine is an 1895 Chatellerault receiver rebarreled with an SA barrel by the Finns for the Winter War. It may be as close as I ever come because unaltered Chatelleraults are very rare.)

Then I started tweaking them -- my 1927 Izhevsk ex-dragoon, named Natasha, has an unusual scope mount on her, but after working her over she shoots to minute of angle. I'll take that. She shoots as well as any of the Soviet-made Mosin sniper rifles, and better than some.

Then I started de-Bubba-ing Mosins that idiots (reviled by collectors and shooters as "Bubbas," because their solution to turning an ex-military rifle into a sporting or target rifle usually involve hacksaws, duct tape and a whole lotta stupidity) had hacked up and restoring them to usefulness. I'm working on one now that I have put into an aftermarket Monte Carlo sporter stock. I have to re-crown her before mounting a muzzle brake (Bubba was too damned stupid to cut the barrel vertically when he shortened it -- don't worry, it's still legal at 20 inches), and I am debating whether to attempt to mount a simple post front sight on the brake and calling it a day, or to remove the rear sight and put a long eye relief scope on it, or to mount the post, leave the rear sight alone, and put a jmeck scope mount on the receiver, which would mean having to replace the bolt body with one that has a sporter pattern bent bolt handle as opposed to the issue straight bolt handle. I know she will shoot well because she's what's called a "Finn capture" -- a Soviet-made Mosin captured from them by the Finnish Army in World War II, tested, and stamped with a Finnish Army stamp to indicate it shoots to their set standard. When she is done, she will be a shootin' Mosin, as Bubba, damn him, removed all the collector value when he got busy with his hacksaw.

In terms of mindset, this is not so very different from people who rebuild or restore automobiles. You have some you lovingly restore so they look like they just came off the production line, with rebuilt original parts or handmade replacement parts you can't tell from original, with original paint color matched to that model year's specifications. And then there are some where you modify it to suit yourself, to make the car what you want it to be, so it's YOUR car. The 1899 Tula Model 1891 that I restored, including putting it into a correct stock, is a restoration. Natasha and the butchered Finn capture I am currently working on are modifications; slight in Natasha's case, major in the case of the Bubba'd Finn. But a car guy would certainly understand the approaches in all three instances.

Gun collectors are not kill-crazy psychos out to build themselves arsenals, no matter waht the mainstream media screams at their viewers. (When it comes to firearms, television reporters are so willfully ignorant they don't know a buttplate from their buttholes.) We're just folks who collect firearms the way other people collect coins, stamps, cars, china, Steiff stuffed animals, Ty Beanie Babies, McDonalds Happy Meal toys, or any other thing people collect, that's all.

There are things I've kept hidden over the years, mainly due to the fact they had to do with one particular obsession of mine... Mostly, I've kept these items hidden from family members, because this particular obsession is, as far as I'm concerned, none of my family's business, although it is a subject I have discussed with family members, although I would rather they not know about how much of an obsession this particular subject is to me...

I'm always hiding things, mostly because of the criticism and teasing I've gotten in the past. I've even ordered things online at the right time to have them delivered while my family was away, and I plan to do it again next month. It's not because they're bad things - quite the contrary - just that they're private and I don't want my family snooping and making unwelcome comments about them.

I've even ordered things online at the right time to have them delivered while my family was away, and I plan to do it again next month. It's not because they're bad things - quite the contrary - just that they're private and I don't want my family snooping and making unwelcome comments about them.

I've done that before, with an eBay auction about 3 years ago, I ordered the item when I was on break from school, and had it delivered to the school... I was living with relatives at the time, and didn't feel that what I ordered was any of their business...

Most of my interests tend to be typical for someone my age in my area, such as the outdoors and computers. The only real interest I have that I hide is my interest in real estate. It's not weird, but I guess I hide it because I'm unemployed and it seems like something I shouldn't be taking interest in as someone in my position. I especially like judging the more expensive housing. It's funny what people try to pass as a multimillion dollar home these days (might have been worth $2mil in the '80's but now... Yuck!).

Back in the early 1980s, my ex-wife (one reason she is an EX-wife) and I decided that it might be nice to go see the country while we were young enough to appreciate it. We (mostly me) did a school bus conversion into an RV. It took awhile, and I had some of the work (mostly to do with the propane system) done by professionals. It had a propane furnace, propane/electric refrigerator, propane stove, and flow-thru hot water heater. It was quite comfortable and had as much space as a studio apartment.

One thing I discovered was that you cannot hide your true self in a home that small. What I discovered about my ex was that she was a greedy, inconsiderate taker with more than a dash of faker (as in the old saying, "There are Makers, Takers, and Fakers"). I ended up walking out with some furniture, my sword collection, my books, and my clothes, plus a mountain of debt it took more than seven years to pay off. And at that, I counted myself fortunate. But that's by the way.

If you go to do a conversion, here are some hints learned the hard way.

1. Make sure the base vehicle is sound before you buy. This is why school buses are often a good conversion vehicle; they have had constant maintenance. Sometimes the bus is being disposed of because it needs a repair that is not cost-effective, and you need to watch for that. But often they are being disposed of because of the law says a school bus can only be X years old. They often are still sound, but the town is obliged to buy new ones due to the law. Always ask.

Ideally, what you want is one of the long-haul coaches like the ones Greyhound uses. The cargo space underneath the passenger compartment is a godsend when converting. But they aren't easily had at a cost ordinary people can afford.

2. Write to the manufacturer and get the book on your bus. This is not the owner's manual. It's more like a Chilton's manual, with this major difference: It includes the part number and model of every bit of the bus as well as the how-to of installing and repairing same. If you are not a master mechanic, this is a godsend.

3. Start the conversion by stripping the bus out completely. I mean back to the bare floor and bare walls. Then you take down the walls, the ceiling, and the floor a little at a time, remove the minimal insulation, and replace it with better insulation. You will be doing your cable runs and HVAC runs at this point.

4. Get hold of yacht construction magazines and study them. I know, you're not building a yacht. But boatbuilders have been dealing with storage issues since before there were cars and buses. They know how to make use of every cubic inch of space in tight quarters. Don't reinvent the wheel; learn from them.

5. Read the RV magazines. You want to do this before you start, of course, while you are still planning. The reason is the same as for No. 4. Learn from what others have done, especially their mistakes. It save time and money.

6. Make scale drawings as you go. They don't have to be architect-grade, but they do have to show where your electric cables go; where your power outlets are; where the HVAC lines run; where the water tank is and how it connects to sink, shower, and toilet; where the hot water system (previous comments about flow-thru water heater) is and where its runs are; how shower, toilet and sink connect to waste tank; how chairs, tables, and beds are anchored.

7. Learn how to mig-weld. All buses regardless of type (and if possible, avoid getting a 'conventional,' engine out in front type; fifty years on, these still carry the stigma of 1960s "hippie buses" and are looked at askance by campground owners and other RV owners) have lots of window glass. That's fine for a bus full of people traveling down the road, not so good for an RV that is your home on wheels. You are going to want to remove some of the windows, especially in the bathroom area, and replace them with sheetmetal and insulation. Doing this work yourself will save you money. And remember, bondo, grinders, sanding blocks, and paint conceal a multitude of sins.

There is a great deal of satisfaction in doing a project like this yourself. I haven't listed all the hints that I could, because each conversion is unique based on bus type, what the owner is after when it's done, and how skilled the owner is at which sorts of work. But this is enough to get someone started if they want to try it, and might help them miss or at least soften the bumps you encounter along the way with such an ambitious goal in mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom