• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Odd behaviour as an aspie child growing up compared to neurotypical children

Turbocks

So I am a 19 year old high school student who was diagnosed with aspergers at age 10 but the funny thing is that my mum was aware for a long time that I was very different from the other neurotypical children growing up in my home country of Sweden and she always suspected I had some type of diagnosis but she was unsure of what it was.

Some of the things I used to do growing up included , tearing apart pieces of loose wallpaper especially at night, I also had a habit as a toddler to wake up at night to try waking up my parents so that they would play with me and this was because of the fact I have always have issues staying asleep and easily waking up.

Drinking a capsule of warm breast milk intended for my baby sister.

Eating liquid paint during a visit when the other children were painting as normal and constantly trying to run away with my mother struggling to keep me calm.

Flushing down bob the builder toys on several occasions down the toilet causing it to clog so my parents had to call a plumber or even hiding another toy like this behind the stove and not finding it until 1-2 years when it had turned black from all the soot.

I was also incredibly prone to things like trying to run away from home or various other forms of mischief although my parents still tried their best to stop me by doing things like building a fence around the garden but I would just get past it by using a tricycle and then jumping over it.

At one point during my time in daycare as a toddler I even tried running away to the bakery store just by the daycare to try buying some sweets with no money and I managed to get in but luckily the female daycare worker managed to get me back.

At one point I got a Santa doll with removable clothing from my grandmother and I pretty much removed the clothes on the doll right away as soon as I got it.

What were some odd things you did growing up that showed you were very different from other neurotypical children around your age?.

Didn't like my parents much. They were rather cold. Didn't show much affection due to their upbringing. Read a lot to escape feelings of not understanding my parents. School felt strange at times. But l was in the country so that kept my juvenile brain occupied. Plus we had the woods in back of my house and it was fun to walk thru. This is sad to say, but l don't think l liked the other kids much. l was friends with a older teenager girl. Found older people always more interesting.

i remember when my mom washed my hair using the tub, the sound running over my head would make me freak out and i would scream.

my mom said i was a really quiet well behaved baby. even in my home videos, im very calm looking for a 2 year old, or i seem ver unimpressed by my massive chuck e cheese party

strange amounts of lying

believing people could read my thoughts firmly till i was 13 (loosely now >.>)

Hi i was a quiet withdrawn child who spent her time 'rocking' in small spaces and i could stare into space for long periods of time almost as if i was no longer there, i had three siblings but often felt alone and 'different', my anxiety and depression presented during teenage years and it was my 'upbringing' that was attached as a 'reason' for this, diagnosis for Autism came much later in life.

Got up in the middle of the night, found dad's electric screwdriver and removed all the doorknobs from all the doors in the house. My parents got up and there were no knobs on any of the doors. My dad had to jimmy my bedroom door, only to find me asleep on the floor with his screwdriver in hand, next to a pile of doorknobs.

I built an antenna in my bedroom out of a spool of very fine gauge magnet wire - it was strung all around the room, wrapped around bedposts, up over curtain rods...all about a foot above my (toddler) head. I got the best radio reception in the county and clotheslined my poor mother.

Gifted children are the devil! Gifted adults are gifted children with more experience. :D

Oh I was never one for sleep my mother said at 5 months I started to resist going to bed to point I would become sick from crying so much.
at 6 months my mother noticed I would look past people at the room behind them not at them. (that has yet to change)
I was never good at making friends nor would I care to keep them very much.
When I was a baby I never cared much to climb or put things in my mouth and was content to just sit around.
I needed things to go as planned if not I would cry and repeat "I expect what I expected" over and over.
I needed my routine so much that even if I was at a friends for family's house and had eaten dinner I would need to eat again at home before I went to bed.
I used to listen to the radio shopping show everyday for about 4 hours between 4-6 (look up the radio shopping show if you don't know)

Oh I was never one for sleep my mother said at 5 months I started to resist going to bed to point I would become sick from crying so much.
at 6 months my mother noticed I would look past people at the room behind them not at them. (that has yet to change)
I was never good at making friends nor would I care to keep them very much.
When I was a baby I never cared much to climb or put things in my mouth and was content to just sit around.
I needed things to go as planned if not I would cry and repeat "I expect what I expected" over and over.
I needed my routine so much that even if I was at a friends for family's house and had eaten dinner I would need to eat again at home before I went to bed.
I used to listen to the radio shopping show everyday for about 4 hours between 4-6 (look up the radio shopping show if you don't know)

For some time I had a habit of staying up from late at night or late evening to early in the morning listening to night radio and reading books.

One of the main things that's bothering me is that I can't really point to any signs from childhood that might suggest I'm not neurotypical.

The few things I can think of are a general reluctance to get dirty if I can help it. Attempts at getting me to finger-paint were met with extreme resistance (and still will be, frankly).
I've never seen anyone put on headphones or earplugs, but I would frequently turn my hearing aids down or off when things got loud (like at the movies, or even at the mall sometimes).
I read a lot more than anyone else I knew, would draw a lot (not well, but a lot). And I would frequently get lost in daydreams, or get lost in thought while staring at something, even in circumstances where this would be considered rude and disrespectful. My 1st grade teacher even gave me a nickname for it: Captain Space Cadet.
Frequent meows.
And a general inability to make friends or hold a conversation.

Of course these are all still true, but I don't know if these are enough to suggest I'm not NT.

A couple of the things that would 'redflag' autism in me as a child are:

I apparently failed to understand (after the age of 6) when we were supposed to go out as a family: my mum would have to say "we are going to the beach and Progster is coming to the beach, too." I just wouldn't get it - I was definitely behind in social awareness in my development.

I refused to wear certain clothing - frilly dresses, would only wear pants.

I used to have huge meltdowns about thing that others thought were trivial. For example, if food fell from my fork after I put it here, or I was trying to eat Battenberg cake, but it kept falling apart.

Refusal to hold hands when crossing the road. And my parents insisting on holding hands, because, apparently, I was really likely to suddenly shoot off across the road without paying attention.

An intense dislike of being told what to do, or refusal to do certain things and reacting violently agains it if someone tried to force me. I even hit a teacher once in primary school.

I also had a few ADHD or executive function issues, always untidy, disorganised, constantly losing things. My mum says she had to check me every morning before I went to school, because I often had clothes on the wrong way and things like that.

A few obsessions, one of which was sellotape. I loved sellotape!

So I am a 19 year old high school student who was diagnosed with aspergers at age 10 but the funny thing is that my mum was aware for a long time that I was very different from the other neurotypical children growing up in my home country of Sweden and she always suspected I had some type of diagnosis but she was unsure of what it was.

Some of the things I used to do growing up included , tearing apart pieces of loose wallpaper especially at night, I also had a habit as a toddler to wake up at night to try waking up my parents so that they would play with me and this was because of the fact I have always have issues staying asleep and easily waking up.

Drinking a capsule of warm breast milk intended for my baby sister.

Eating liquid paint during a visit when the other children were painting as normal and constantly trying to run away with my mother struggling to keep me calm.

Flushing down bob the builder toys on several occasions down the toilet causing it to clog so my parents had to call a plumber or even hiding another toy like this behind the stove and not finding it until 1-2 years when it had turned black from all the soot.

I was also incredibly prone to things like trying to run away from home or various other forms of mischief although my parents still tried their best to stop me by doing things like building a fence around the garden but I would just get past it by using a tricycle and then jumping over it.

At one point during my time in daycare as a toddler I even tried running away to the bakery store just by the daycare to try buying some sweets with no money and I managed to get in but luckily the female daycare worker managed to get me back.

At one point I got a Santa doll with removable clothing from my grandmother and I pretty much removed the clothes on the doll right away as soon as I got it.

What were some odd things you did growing up that showed you were very different from other neurotypical children around your age?.

Everything you described is typical of NT children. Really weird behavior would be things like self-harming, hurting other people or animals, setting fires, etc.

I forgot to mention a few things that I did when I was younger even if they were rare and one of them was hurting people physically .

For example when I once hit another child in the head on purpose with a wooden plank when I was around 4-5 years of age which didn't injure him seriously but still made him cry in pain, in elementary school I have on rare occasions also beat up younger children for mocking me.

One time when I was around 10 I murdered an earwig that I found by cutting off it's back part with a small knife that I found lying around .

I did some questionable things growing up I am not going to lie.

As a young girl, we lived in the desert and I ran wild. I climbed mountains, dug deep holes, crept up on coyotes, caught lizards and snakes, and felt very at one with nature. I could walk quietly, and silence my breath. I felt more animal sometimes than girl. I was very alone, and very lonely, but my animals were my friends. And I was always, always barefoot.

I was very sad when we moved to town. I felt like a native being taken away from their habitat. Everything was so alien, concrete, loud, bright, and cold.

As a young girl, we lived in the desert and I ran wild. I climbed mountains, dug deep holes, crept up on coyotes, caught lizards and snakes, and felt very at one with nature. I could walk quietly, and silence my breath. I felt more animal sometimes than girl. I was very alone, and very lonely, but my animals were my friends. And I was always, always barefoot.

I was very sad when we moved to town. I felt like a native being taken away from their habitat. Everything was so alien, concrete, loud, bright, and cold.

Reminds me of myself, I'm still like this and always will be. I hate the big city, living near downtown is the most I can tolerate and at peak times it's loud, dirty, and obnoxious enough. I prefer to go down when it's a lot quieter like anywhere for that matter. I have some favorite places I go all the time down there but I spend a lot of my time in the forests outside walking and idling about because they're my thinking and sorting out feelings and other things places. I noticed what I like about the places in town I enjoy the most is simply the aesthetic and vibe I get from them and not so much the involved social climate of them. Wherever I tended to end up the most I never really fit in with any specific demographic.

Reminds me of myself, I'm still like this and always will be. I hate the big city, living near downtown is the most I can tolerate and at peak times it's loud, dirty, and obnoxious enough. I prefer to go down when it's a lot quieter like anywhere for that matter. I have some favorite places I go all the time down there but I spend a lot of my time in the forests outside walking and idling about because they're my thinking and sorting out feelings and other things places. I noticed what I like about the places in town I enjoy the most is simply the aesthetic and vibe I get from them and not so much the involved social climate of them. Wherever I tended to end up the most I never really fit in with any specific demographic.
EXACTLY!!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom