• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

OCD..how common is this with autism?

Night Owl

Hi everyone,
I received a diagnosis of OCD about ten months ago, in fact it was this problem that got me in the doctors office where I was eventually diagnosed with autism. Apparently OCD can be an autistic trait that has become worse, and mine was due to being diagnosed with fibromyalgia about four years ago. All my order and routine had to change due to physical pain and complete mental fatigue. The doctor thinks that because I couldn't follow my normal (strict) routines, I invented new ones (checking and counting...etc) and my severe OCD was born!... along with extreme general anxiety disorder. I have been having CBT for about six months now and have just started exposure therapy ... but it seems a long road, I do not feel any better.
Has anyone else developed OCD? Any advice or information about your treatment would be appreciated.

I was diagnosed with OCD before I was diagnosed with autism. I showed classic OCD behaviors early on, when I was about six years old. I would wash my hands excessively, count repetitively, etc. I think that CBT is a good treatment option. For me, my OCD comes in bouts. So it kind of waxes and wanes. I had a bad spell last summer, but now its in the background. I just kind of wait out the storm.

I was diagnosed with OCD before I was diagnosed with autism. I showed classic OCD behaviors early on, when I was about six years old. I would wash my hands excessively, count repetitively, etc. I think that CBT is a good treatment option. For me, my OCD comes in bouts. So it kind of waxes and wanes. I had a bad spell last summer, but now its in the background. I just kind of wait out the storm.

Thank you... looking back I have always had OCD traits too.I only went to see the doctor when it had started to affect my families lives too. I was having almost constant meltdowns at some points. It is still just as bad but now i can get out of everyone elses way when i am too overwhelmed! I focus on a special interest until the anxiety had passed, and everyone leaves me alone. Did you do the exposure therapy as well as the CBT ...I have just started and I am dreading it ...I will be forcing myself into a meltdown everyday. I have been offered some meds...but i have a really bad phobia of meds and side effects, so that is a no go for now.... glad you are feeling better at the moment ! It is an awful thing to suffer from!

It was suggested when I was young, as I used to have very strict routines to do things, would count items over and over or have to put things in order to calm down. But I don't believe it's proper OCD as it wore off mostly as I reached my 20s and is only a minor 'habit' these days. I still automatically align objects around me without realising and will count things or look for patterns if I'm bored, but it doesn't fill me with panic if I can't. Routines I stick to in order to fit everything into the day if I'm busy. I find learning to do tasks on autopilot is far more efficient (for example, getting ready in the morning would take at least an hour longer if I had to actively think about what to do while still half asleep). My finances I may be a *bit* OCD over, as I have to check everything at least once a week or I do stress about it. But I think that's more of an inherited behaviour due to my dad constantly complaining about money while I was growing up and then graduating into the recession. At the back of my mind, I'm always expecting something to go wrong, so just checking things calms me down.

Also have OCD, and don't treat it. As it has not reached the point where it controls my life. Although there have been instances, usually very stressful times where it did for a short periods.

"A recent systematic review revealed that approximately 40% of patients with autism spectrum disorders are assigned at least one comorbid diagnosis of anxiety, the most frequent being specific phobia (30%) followed by obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD; 17%) [7]. Given that the prevalence of OCD in the general population is estimated around 1.6% [8], it appears that OCD is more prevalent among patients with autism spectrum disorders than in the general population." Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorders: Longitudinal and Offspring Risk

I would think it very common. But as far as how it fits in with autism I am confused. I don't think the medical profession has this stuff nailed down really either.

elepahnt.jpg

OCD is a very common comorbid condition to forms of autism. Much like clinical depression and social anxiety as well. Lucky me...I have them all. :oops:

Unlike my being on the spectrum, my OCD and depression follow me wherever I go, or even retreat to. What little CBT I had through my doctor never amounted to anything. I know what the origins of it were, but knowing has never helped me overcome it either. But then for me my OCD is little more than an annoyance.

At least I'm grateful not to have OCPD, where one feels compelled to "export" their sense of perfection and neatness to others who likely don't want it. That I'm only insistent on such things relative to my own environment and no others. Though inside that environment I don't always have the control I wish I had.

Last edited:
At least I'm grateful not to have OCPD, where one feels compelled to "export" their sense of perfection and neatness to others who likely don't want it. That I'm only insistent on such things relative to my own environment and no others. Though inside that environment I don't always have the control I wish I had.

Had not known of OCPD Judge. Thank you for including this, as it made me realize that a relative does this.

Last edited:
Had not heard of this Judge. Thank you for including this, as it made me realize that a relative has this.

It always reminds me of the tv character "Adrian Monk" played by Tony Shaloub. Where in one episode he was in an office waiting area and was intensely compelled to rearrange the furnishings.

Seeing other people's pictures hanging at an angle always bothers me. Yet I'm able to avoid considering adjusting them. Go figure. :oops:

Last edited:
It was suggested when I was young, as I used to have very strict routines to do things, would count items over and over or have to put things in order to calm down. But I don't believe it's proper OCD as it wore off mostly as I reached my 20s and is only a minor 'habit' these days. I still automatically align objects around me without realising and will count things or look for patterns if I'm bored, but it doesn't fill me with panic if I can't. Routines I stick to in order to fit everything into the day if I'm busy. I find learning to do tasks on autopilot is far more efficient (for example, getting ready in the morning would take at least an hour longer if I had to actively think about what to do while still half asleep). My finances I may be a *bit* OCD over, as I have to check everything at least once a week or I do stress about it. But I think that's more of an inherited behaviour due to my dad constantly complaining about money while I was growing up and then graduating into the recession. At the back of my mind, I'm always expecting something to go wrong, so just checking things calms me down.

I was also like this...a bit OCD ...ish... Doctor says she thinks it is these autistic traits that have gotten out of hand due to stress and have made me like this. Hopefully they will go back to just ticking along in the background again once I have this stress and anxiety under control.
I thought finding out I was autistic and having a reason for being the way I am would help with all of this...but not yet I am afraid to say. In fact I maybe a bit more anxious than before at times!

OCD is a very common comorbid condition to forms of autism. Much like clinical depression and social anxiety as well. Lucky me...I have them all. :oops:

Unlike my being on the spectrum, my OCD and depression follow me wherever I go, or even retreat to. What little CBT I had through my doctor never amounted to anything. I know what the origins of it were, but knowing has never helped me overcome it either. But then for me my OCD is little more than an annoyance.

My ocd was just like yours ...an annoyance for most of my life.. but it has started to control me. I have a very small world right now! Fingers crossed this exposure therapy works better for me.
I am also glad I don't have OCPD ...( I just had to Google it !)...I do have a few of the symptoms though ...like dwelling on the past!!

Also have OCD, and don't treat it. As it has not reached the point where it controls my life. Although there have been instances, usually very stressful times where it did for a short periods.

"A recent systematic review revealed that approximately 40% of patients with autism spectrum disorders are assigned at least one comorbid diagnosis of anxiety, the most frequent being specific phobia (30%) followed by obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD; 17%) [7]. Given that the prevalence of OCD in the general population is estimated around 1.6% [8], it appears that OCD is more prevalent among patients with autism spectrum disorders than in the general population." Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorders: Longitudinal and Offspring Risk

Thanks for that information, I was interested to see how many others on the forum also suffered with it
So you just took the let it pass approach? Is was doing that but it was becoming to bad...but I have been in therapy for about six months and have no improvement yet!!
Hearing that your symptoms have been bad and gotten better without treatment is good to hear...gives me some hope!

I would think it very common. But as far as how it fits in with autism I am confused. I don't think the medical profession has this stuff nailed down really either.

View attachment 51316
Apparently people with autism have a very low intolerance to uncertainty. .which cause them to organise , have routines and question things...or at least that was the information I was given by my doctor. When things are bad the intolerance gets even lower in some people and OCD becomes a problem .

I have diagnosis of both. OCD came first, a couple of years after that came General Anxiety Disorder.

I live with and hate it.
I ask those that live with me to trust me to find a way to reduce its impact on them (and me)

That is to say when I’m really, really stressed I become a bit of a monster. Into the realms of catastrophising, extreme ‘planning and preparation’ clean freak, germaphobe, itineraries and timings...

... that’s all before I get started on going outside or shopping etc.

Because I hate it (with a passion) I’m quite determined to change it.

The thing that amuses me is my attempts at controlling my immediate environment sometimes become out of my control,
When it’s me that instigated the controls in the first place.
Go figure.

I have been looking but to date haven’t yet found the boundary between what can happen with parts of OCD and what someone with Autism can experience.
Where one definitely ends and the other begins.

It might be that I just haven’t read a relevant study yet and found an answer. This is likely the case.

In answer @nightowl,
I haven’t been on a referred course of exposure therapy so couldn’t advise or try to reassure you, sorry.

(I don’t really trust doctors and therapists so research my own ways and means)

Hearing that your symptoms have been bad and gotten better without treatment is good to hear...gives me some hope!

It was better after I had a calmer less stressful life. When money and work was no longer as much of a stressor. Then moved from a city into my quieter more rural home and lifestyle.

Last edited:
It got better after I had a calmer less stressful life. When money and work was no longer as much of an issue, and I moved from a city into my quieter more rural home and lifestyle.

Sometimes being able to leave the "rat race" can do wonders. :)

Personally I attribute this a lot to alleviating some of my traits and behaviors.

I too have OCD. It's not uncommon for people on the spectrum to have co-morbid conditions (other diagnoses). I used to wash my hands excessively. For me, exposure therapy really helped. Medication helps some people as well.

I too have OCD. It's not uncommon for people on the spectrum to have co-morbid conditions (other diagnoses). I used to wash my hands excessively. For me, exposure therapy really helped. Medication helps some people as well.
Thanks
I have been doing the CBT side of treatment and have just started the exposure part....seems daunting , but necessary if I am to get over all the obsessive behaviour... Hopefully it will work for me too ! I have not tried the medication they gave me. One of my obsessions is checking that I have not taken too much meds ... so ironically I will need to be a lot better before I could even attempt to take it !

I have diagnosis of both. OCD came first, a couple of years after that came General Anxiety Disorder.

I live with and hate it.
I ask those that live with me to trust me to find a way to reduce its impact on them (and me)

That is to say when I’m really, really stressed I become a bit of a monster. Into the realms of catastrophising, extreme ‘planning and preparation’ clean freak, germaphobe, itineraries and timings...

... that’s all before I get started on going outside or shopping etc.

Because I hate it (with a passion) I’m quite determined to change it.

The thing that amuses me is my attempts at controlling my immediate environment sometimes become out of my control,
When it’s me that instigated the controls in the first place.
Go figure.

I have been looking but to date haven’t yet found the boundary between what can happen with parts of OCD and what someone with Autism can experience.
Where one definitely ends and the other begins.

It might be that I just haven’t read a relevant study yet and found an answer. This is likely the case.

In answer @nightowl,
I haven’t been on a referred course of exposure therapy so couldn’t advise or try to reassure you, sorry.

(I don’t really trust doctors and therapists so research my own ways and means)

I understand and have experienced all of what you described. ...it is an awful illness and as much as it wears me down I know it wears my family down too ...it is hard to share a world with others when they are sometimes the cause of your fears....germs ... etc.
I don't always trust the doctors either , but one thing she said that I am hanging on too is ...i was born with autism, but not OCD so I can get back to being me again hopefully,

New Threads

Top Bottom