• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessively Analyze/Judge What I've Written/ Communicated

Loren

V.I.P Member
Hi, I am wondering if anyone else on the forum, incessantly analyzes their written, or, in-person correspondence, and, if so, if you've found an antidote, or, any way to cope. It prevents me from engaging, here, in addition to impacting other facets of life.

I would post, here, from time to time, when I thought I could possibly be of support in some way, however, would, often, find myself deleting my posts, as I'd become increasingly anxious and, subsequently, begin to analyze everything I had written, which would continue throughout the day. I have, since, stopped posting, all together (apart from in the games forum), and apologize for not being of support to others, for sometime.

Thank you for reading, and, for any input, or, words of advice.

I do like to reread what I have written, I always do that when I write emails and will return to read it again after sending it too. Also with posts here. On the whole this is initially a creating then an editing procedure for me, and afterwards it is as if I am going over what I said, to recall it, usually with satisfaction though I may notice some issues or errors after sending or posting, which I may correct.

I would take a guess that the way you are doing this is related to anxiety, and/or OCD if that's an issue for you?

Probably working on relaxing may help. Maybe also defining to yourself what a post is, and what it's for? For example, for me it's an expression of your view or opinions, in a non expert setting, there's no right or wrong about our views and opinions in discussion, and a kind words to someone is always welcome.

Perhaps someone was critical to you at a formative time? That can also be inhibiting. I have always found your posts interesting and well worth posting, I hope you will share your thoughts more, and be less troubled by this difficulty.

Yes, I do, especially when I first joined a forum - I had very little self-confidence. I have since grown in confidence and don't agonize over my posts nearly as much as I used to, but I'm careful and check them over, only tend to write things I feel are 'safe'. I usually end up editing my posts - rewriting, adding bits or deleting bits, and it can take me a long time to write just one short post like this one.

Welcome to the club. I read, and reread, and read again my posts, work e-mails, texts, etc. It is, for me, some sort of compulsive behavior. I am sure, some of it is simply to get a bit of a "dopamine hit" when someone on social media gives you a "like", an "agree", or some other type of response. Sometimes, I will pick up grammar or spelling mistakes that I missed earlier,...then will edit. I am fairly active on here, so realistically, if a particular thread goes a bit dead,...I simply move on to the next and forget it.

Anxiety is a strange thing. Everyone seems to exhibit it in different ways. All we can do is recognize it and then try to self-manage those symptoms through diet, exercise, supplements,...and sometimes medications.

When I was younger, I used to be obsessed with checking everything I did and always found something to complain about and funny, because I took on cross stitching year's ago now and I notice that all my earlier work is something to still be proud of and actually, do not check half as much now and believe it was related to a complete lack of confidence.

I find it is to do with faulty working memory and I use inference to figure out what was more likely to be a problem and that gives me the confidence to know it's not stupid to check or double check.

Thank you, all, for your helpful input and words of wisdom. I am surprised to know that this isn't uncommon, and, appreciate knowing that others are able to relate to what I've been experiencing. All of your posts have given me food for thought and a bit of a sense of relief. I truly appreciate all of you sharing your experiences with me. ~Thank you very much

Like Progster and others mentioned, I would constantly, repeatedly edit my posts, as well. I realized I had a serious problem, when it took me 2 hours to perfect a single, short paragraph, some time, ago.

@Thinx, thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I do in fact, have Anxiety and OCD, and, I was, indeed, exposed to a fair amount of criticism in my youth. I have given thought in the past, to the idea that my issue is possibly the result of OCD.

@Mia, thank you for sharing the articles that have been of help to you. I look forward to reading them.

@Suzanne, I'm glad to hear that you have been able to overcome this issue. Indeed, I, too have had low self-confidence, and, I am quite, self-conscious, and believe these traits have played a significant part, in terms of the difficulty I experience.

@Neonatal RRT, Thank you for your input and suggestions. I eat a healthy diet, and find vigorous exercise to minimize symptoms of anxiety, for short periods of time. With regard to supplements, I take L-Theanine and CBD oil, and, at night, I take Magnesium Glycinate and a higher dose of CBD oil, of which help me fall and stay asleep. I think I had noticed in one of your posts, that, you take L-Theanine, as well. It has helped more than anything else I have utilized, for anxiety (and mood), thus far.

Last edited:
Hi, I am wondering if anyone else on the forum, incessantly analyzes their written, or, in-person correspondence, and, if so, if you've found an antidote, or, any way to cope. It prevents me from engaging, here, in addition to impacting other facets of life.

I would post, here, from time to time, when I thought I could possibly be of support in some way, however, would, often, find myself deleting my posts, as I'd become increasingly anxious and, subsequently, begin to analyze everything I had written, which would continue throughout the day. I have, since, stopped posting, all together (apart from in the games forum), and apologize for not being of support to others, for sometime.

Thank you for reading, and, for any input, or, words of advice.

I´ve written so much "crazy" and heavy things here in the forum. I feel very safe now whenever I post something, because when I not gotten banned or insulted for what I´ve written so far...

but I sometimes delete things I wrote, but where I after some minutes realize that I not really meant what I say or feel uncomfortable with that. or when I realize that something I´ve written is not fair.

but yes I had anxiety that I and my thoughts/feelings/words could scandalize, but they did not so far, so far I know and that relieves me.

I think the more time you are here in this forum, the more people "know" you, the more people can appreciate you and the better feeling you have what is okay to write and what not.

but sometimes, especially in other forums, I restricted myself so that I only wrote private messages and not in the forum itself or only in my own threads.

but here I have the feeling that the bulk of people either like me or have no problem with me, so that I feel safe enough to write nearly everywhere here. when someone likes my post, it signalizes me that my post can not be that bad, because when it would be bad, the member(s) would not like it.

I find it is very good that you can give here only good "karma" and that you can like other posts. it gives someone a good feeling and more self assurance.

but when I would have the feeling (or if it would be so) that the bulk of members would not like me, then I would only write private messages or in specific threads or would feel the forum, because otherwise I would not feel comfortable.

in this forum I can unfold and express myself, me, like I am (even it is not the same like meeting someone in personal) and feel welcomed here, that gives me very much and motivates me to participate more in this forum.

you seem like a nice person, I don´t think you have to "hide" yourself in the forum games, only when you want to.

Last edited:
I don't delete, but I do edit spelling and grammar on everything I write. Occasionally, I do tone down my opinion to keep it less judgemental and then there are things I completely forget that I have written.

I´ve written so much "crazy" and heavy things here in the forum. I feel very safe now whenever I post something, because when I not gotten banned or insulted for what I´ve written so far...

but I sometimes delete things I wrote, but where I after some minutes realize that I not really meant what I say or feel uncomfortable with that. or when I realize that something I´ve written is not fair.

but yes I had anxiety that I and my thoughts/feelings/words could scandalize, but they did not so far, so far I know and that relieves me.

I think the more time you are here in this forum, the more people "know" you, the more people can appreciate you and the better feeling you have what is okay to write and what not.

but sometimes, especially in other forums, I restricted myself so that I only wrote private messages and not in the forum itself or only in my own threads.

but here I have the feeling that the bulk of people either like me or have no problem with me, so that I feel safe enough to write nearly everywhere here. when someone likes my post, it signalizes me that my post can not be that bad, because when it would be bad, the member(s) would not like it.

I find it is very good that you can give here only good "karma" and that you can like other posts. it gives someone a good feeling and more self assurance.

but when I would have the feeling (or if it would be so) that the bulk of members would not like me, then I would only write private messages or in specific threads or would feel the forum, because otherwise I would not feel comfortable.

in this forum I can unfold and express myself, me, like I am (even it is not the same like meeting someone in personal) and feel welcomed here, that gives me very much and motivates me to participate more in this forum.

you seem like a nice person, I don´t think you have to "hide" yourself in the forum games, only when you want to.
Thank you, Shaddock, for your kind sentiments and words of wisdom. :tulip:

I have become much more at ease and far less obsessive than I had been at the time I posted this topic, thankfully.

I am glad to read that your experiences here, have been so good, and that you feel comfortable expressing yourself, here. :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom