• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsession with a specific band.

Marcus, I joined this forum today due to seeing your post; I joined just so I could reply. I am a 51 year old female. I became truly obsessed with Amon Amarth after first hearing them in 2011 or perhaps 2012. This soon led to an obsession with Viking-era history and lore. It was several years before my focus broadened and I become an aficionado of (though not obsessed with!) folk metal bands and a few other death metal bands with similar style or lyrics. Then I started to appreciate Scandinavian black metal with Heathen-themed lyrics, too. I am now broadening out further into different types of modern metal, though they aren't on my "high rotation" list. Also, being a teenager of the 80s, I will always like some of the "heavy metal" bands I listened to a lot back then. But, still, no metal band has ever been or is as near and dear to me as Amon Amarth still is. Discovering them was literally life-changing, given the magnitude and breadth of my subsequent changes in interests, behaviors, and personal associations. Thank you for posting. I hope you will see my post. I'd enjoy sharing some names of other somehow-related bands I and my also-AA-obsessed best friend have appreciated, if or when you decide you have any interest in exploring other listening options. And perhaps you have some recommendations for me, too. Skål!

I LOVE Queen and Freddie Mercury!!! All of their songs are amazing. I can't wait until the Bohemian Rhapsody movie comes out in November!

First off, hello to anyone who finds the time to read this.

I have quite the obsession with the Swedish heavy metal band "Amon Amarth."

I started listening to them in 2008 and have been absolutely addicted ever since, so much so that since then I've bought every CD they've ever produced and have a ton of their posters and shirts, etc.

I've even found myself drawing their band logo sometimes when I'm bored, which by the way, I think I'm getting better each time I draw it.

Amon Amarth has carried me through some very dark times in my life and I hope this doesn't sound strange, but I consider them to be family.

For some reason though I have to stick to one band at a time and learn everything about them, because I feel like branching out to something else means that I'm cheating on that band. I don't know if that is something related to my autism, but I've gotten a lot of flak for it over the years by former friends and others.

I really try not to talk about them in front of other people because once I start, it takes quite a lot to get me to stop.

I just feel like I'm strange for having such an odd mind and musical obsession, especially since a lot of people have told me that "obsessions like that are unhealthy."

I've been bullied for it before, so I try to keep it sealed away.

Thanks for reading.
I know this is an old thread, but this sounds very much like me. I am a woman who’s never been officially diagnosed with anything, so I can’t even say for sure that I have anything. However, what I CAN say is that I am definitely obsessed with bands and have been for most of my life. I spend the majority of my free time listening to them or watching YouTube videos of them. In addition to their music, I like to learn all about their personalities and their lives. I have four main bands that I obsess over, but there’s always one who takes priority over the others. I make it my goal to see them live and get a photo with them, and I’ve succeeded in some cases. I can also relate to what you said about considering them family because I feel the same way. I’m not delusional- I know they don’t consider ME family and I know that I am just a fan, but they are important enough to me that I think of them as family. I also talk about them too much even when I don’t mean to, and then I get embarrassed about it because I’m a grown woman and I know it’s weird! But when you’re so passionate about something, how can you NOT talk about it?

Over the past few months, I was obsessing over one of my favorite bands (even more than usual) because I knew I would be seeing them in concert soon, so I was really excited. So I went to the concert and everything turned out great. I managed to get a spot in the front row and they put on an amazing show. I was super happy about how things went but one thing that annoyed me was that I felt the opening band played for too long. I was anxious for them to hurry up and finish so that I could see the band that I came to see. I was bored during their set and barely paid attention to them. They met with fans after the show, but of course I didn’t take time to meet them because why would I? I didn’t come to see them.

But in the weeks following the concert, I started looking the opening band up on YouTube and I really fell in love with them to the point that I am now obsessed with them! lol And I am really mad at myself that I didn’t meet them when I had the chance, and I can’t even really remember their set because I didn’t care at the time when I was actually watching them. So although I DID see them live, I feel like I haven’t seen them live and now I’m hoping that they’ll come back to my city again soon.

But anyway, my point is, I don’t know why my mind decided to become obsessed with this new band when I was perfectly happy with the bands that I was already obsessing over. It seems to just be a pattern with me and I feel that I will always do this. Maybe I just like that euphoric feeling of discovering a band and falling in love with them and their music.

Yes old thread. But when I was a teen, I was beyond obsessed with the group Wilson Phillips. I got anything I possibly could on them, albums and singles (including solo projects), jingles, recorded TV appearances, VHS tapes, photos, sheet music books, a T-shirt (which I still have). I drew posters of their album covers and put them and a huge collage of photos on my wall (some stolen from my sister's magazines). Had their photos in my locker. I disassembled button pins and inserted their photos and put them on my coat and guitar strap. I knew their birthdays. When reading a few books I underlined words that were in their song titles (and later went through and erased them all before turning the book back in). I would draw the SBK logo on things. I looked for other artists that the album musicians played in, and I still identify with some of those musicians.

I never considered it to be an AS thing. I thought I was just being a typical teenager obsessed with a band. My daughter is the same way with Fall Out Boy.

Like the OP said, their music got me through many hard times in life. But then again, that has been the story of MANY of their fans, especially with their song "Hold On".

I later discovered Belinda Carlisle and really liked her music. And like the OP said, I too I felt guilty like I was cheating on WP. When I heard "Do You Feel Like I Feel" late one night on the radio, I could feel my world starting to change.

These days, I still enjoy their music, but no more than any other singer or group. I got to see them do a few songs live in 2014, and would love to see the whole show sometime, but I'm not going to travel far or spend a lot to do it. Belinda Carlisle became my favorite on a more healthy level, and I have all her albums simply because I like her voice and music. Patty Smyth and Aimee Mann are also high on the favorite list, I have as much of their music as I can find too. And what was an obsession back then, is now just something I do, looking to see what else the musicians played in and IDing their style. It's a close knit world that way.

I've had band obsessions too, but don't have a specific one at the moment. Now I just try to buy as many releases as I can afford, either new releases or filling in gaps in discographies. I focus mainly on studio albums. Mainly prog rock bands, but also other genres - Jethro Tull, Rush, Wishbone Ash, New Model Army, Phoenix (Romanian folk rock). In the days before music became widely available on the internet, I would go and buy as many albums as I could find or afford, and listen to the same album or track over and over again. Now, this is made a lot easier by the internet adn it's more about finding obscure recordings or bootlegs, etc.

At least here, it is a great time to grow the music collection. CDs are 50 cents at many resales. Even if I had the bandwidth to do it, I can't download the music that cheaply. I also like having the physical CD and the jacket paperwork. I go often and find things I like, or think I'll like. Because there's going to come a time when it's not profitable for resales to keep CDs around, as some have done already with cassettes. 10-20 years ago was when I built my cassette collection, most were 99 cents.

There's nothing like having a favourite release on cd/vinyl. Vinyl especially. I was collecting for a while, well I still am but I sold a couple rare worthy records I very much regret now :( .

I tend to often become obsessed with one band or artist/person at a time, and rotate through all the stuff of theirs I like and learn all about them as well.

I was also especially obsessed with a pop-punk band in the 90s and still know everything about them, wanted to be them, even though I've outgrown that now... but I still go back to the old albums when they were good & marvel at a masterpiece. I don't feel like mentioning who they are right now lol.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me in elementary school.

I probably watched every music video, live video, interview video, etc of the band I loved and tried to learn everything about them.

I made a lot of people hate that band at the time, especially since I played the songs I liked most over and over and over in a row.

I still do that with songs but I don't make people listen, and I actually never bring up the music I like anymore to anyone because I'm afraid I'll talk to much about it.

Completely normal for an Aspie, I'd say.

I made a lot of people hate that band at the time, especially since I played the songs I liked most over and over and over in a row.
Sounds exactly like me! I relate completely. With everything else you said as well. I like how you also didn't mention the band lmao... shame is so stupid really (and it usually/mostly comes from other people).

Back in 1974, I was going through horrible bullying in high school, and was much looking forward to a trip to England and Spain coming up in the summer.
To escape from reality, I would immerse myself in the Moody Blues every night for about two hours.
I always had somewhat of a fetish for the atmosphere of the middle ages, and I relished in the opportunity to visit medieval castles and relics.
I felt that if rock music existed in the middle ages, it would sound like the Moody Blues. with their highly unique, beautiful, and expressive melodies.
I would hypnotize myself in my own dreamlike delusions as I would equate their songs to fantasies of sailing the Mediterrainian Sea. In class, we were reading The Oddysey and The Knights of the Round table, and The Moody Blues music reminded me of the atmosphere of these two books.
It was both escapism and anticipation at its finest.

Last edited:
So agree here. High School was horrible due to incredible shyness and social awkwardness. So l came upon David Bowie Diamond Dogs album (thats how old l am) and was so transported to my zone of perfect teenager hapiness.

y i found it!! Discharged myself from hospital for this band. HUGE crush on singer which i still have to this day. He was like an imaginary boyfriend i suppose. Cried down phone to my parents that they were splitting up. they're in a chorus of a song re somebody who nobody likes @ all sorry that was meant to say " guess who mine is" but it didn't work & now I can't edit it

Attachments

• guess.jpg
    guess.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 109
I've liked Metallica for a very long time now, ever since ...And Justice For All came out. Then when their Black album was released, quite a few people I knew started listening to them as well.

My favourite album is Load, with my favourite song being The Outlaw Torn. I play Metallica CDs in my car which is my sanctuary. I can play whatever I like there.

I've never seen Metallica play live. They were supposed to play in Perth but when I heard their supporting band was Slipknot, I kind of changed my mind about going. Then their tour here was cancelled due to James Hetfield entering rehab. Then COVID-19 happened and well... I'll just have to keep playing their CDs.

First off, hello to anyone who finds the time to read this.

I have quite the obsession with the Swedish heavy metal band "Amon Amarth."

I started listening to them in 2008 and have been absolutely addicted ever since, so much so that since then I've bought every CD they've ever produced and have a ton of their posters and shirts, etc.

I've even found myself drawing their band logo sometimes when I'm bored, which by the way, I think I'm getting better each time I draw it.

Amon Amarth has carried me through some very dark times in my life and I hope this doesn't sound strange, but I consider them to be family.

For some reason though I have to stick to one band at a time and learn everything about them, because I feel like branching out to something else means that I'm cheating on that band. I don't know if that is something related to my autism, but I've gotten a lot of flak for it over the years by former friends and others.

I really try not to talk about them in front of other people because once I start, it takes quite a lot to get me to stop.

I just feel like I'm strange for having such an odd mind and musical obsession, especially since a lot of people have told me that "obsessions like that are unhealthy."

I've been bullied for it before, so I try to keep it sealed away.

Thanks for reading.
Im 15F and I have Aspergers and ADHD, I have the same thing. I'm so obsessed with a band called Why Don't We, I've loved them for almost 2 years now (Not long) but they've had such an impact on my life, I get really bad anxiety and depression. I feel better when I listen to their music and the thought of ever meeting them or seeing them in concert is the only thing that's ever stopped me from committing suicide. I tend to think theres something wrong with me as i cry if someone insults them or if I'm not wearing this necklace I have with their logo on. I wear their merch to school constantly or I have to just have something to do with them whenever I leave the house. I end up getting upset and crying because I know they don't know me and it physically hurts. I wouldn't go to the point of kidnapping them or anything crazy like some people have done to celebrities but I do have a favorite member who I genuinely feel connected to even though he lives in another country and I've never met him. It upsets me and it physically hurts to know that I don't have a chance with him and he doesn't love me the way i love him as he doesn't know me. I tried talking to my therapist about it but he said it's normal, it doesn't bother me that this is happening to me as I find it comforting but sometimes I think I'm crazy. Does anyone have any opinions?

Lately I've been listening to Radiohead so much that I memorized their whole discography... I think it counts as an obsession

New Threads

Top Bottom