• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsession with a specific band.

Marcus

Star Wars enthusiast
First off, hello to anyone who finds the time to read this.

I have quite the obsession with the Swedish heavy metal band "Amon Amarth."

I started listening to them in 2008 and have been absolutely addicted ever since, so much so that since then I've bought every CD they've ever produced and have a ton of their posters and shirts, etc.

I've even found myself drawing their band logo sometimes when I'm bored, which by the way, I think I'm getting better each time I draw it.

Amon Amarth has carried me through some very dark times in my life and I hope this doesn't sound strange, but I consider them to be family.

For some reason though I have to stick to one band at a time and learn everything about them, because I feel like branching out to something else means that I'm cheating on that band. I don't know if that is something related to my autism, but I've gotten a lot of flak for it over the years by former friends and others.

I really try not to talk about them in front of other people because once I start, it takes quite a lot to get me to stop.

I just feel like I'm strange for having such an odd mind and musical obsession, especially since a lot of people have told me that "obsessions like that are unhealthy."

I've been bullied for it before, so I try to keep it sealed away.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Marcus, and welcome!

I don't consider your obsession, as you call it, is in any way weird. In fact, I think it's rather cool that you can be that passionate about something:)

If you're happy with how you spend your time, I'm pretty sure that can't be unhealthy. There are a lot of people who concentrate on one thing at a time! As much as I would like to be able to focus on one topic like you do, I seem to always be occupied by several interests at once. I'm rather bothered by the fact that I can't just cover one topic at a time...:confused:

It's sad that many people think it's bad to be that passionate about something. You yourself wrote that
Amon Amarth has carried me through some very dark times in my life and I hope this doesn't sound strange, but I consider them to be family.
, and thus it is prove enough (at least for me) that it is not bad.

I started listening to them in 2008 and have been absolutely addicted ever since, so much so that since then I've bought every CD they've ever produced and have a ton of their posters and shirts, etc.

I've even found myself drawing their band logo sometimes when I'm bored, which by the way, I think I'm getting better each time I draw it.

For some reason though I have to stick to one band at a time and learn everything about them, because I feel like branching out to something else means that I'm cheating on that band. I don't know if that is something related to my autism, but I've gotten a lot of flak for it over the years by former friends and others.

I really try not to talk about them in front of other people because once I start, it takes quite a lot to get me to stop.

I just feel like I'm strange for having such an odd mind and musical obsession, especially since a lot of people have told me that "obsessions like that are unhealthy."

Thanks for reading.
its just male autism ,
i dont do that but i think i'm habituated from a family problem to try to be very mature so i never did the one interest at a time
i think thats female aspergers syndrome to passionate about protecting life

Obsessions are a common component of AS. The ability of their music to help you created a high likelihood that you would be very interested in them. Just be careful with the mindset of them being family. Your obsession is fine as long as it doesn't lead to creepy actions. Remember that they don't know you, no matter how much their music speaks to you. Buy all the albums and paraphenalia you want; just be sure your obsession doesn't go too far.

Obsessions are a common component of AS. The ability of their music to help you created a high likelihood that you would be very interested in them. Just be careful with the mindset of them being family. Your obsession is fine as long as it doesn't lead to creepy actions. Remember that they don't know you, no matter how much their music speaks to you. Buy all the albums and paraphenalia you want; just be sure your obsession doesn't go too far.

Well, I've just been told before that I should be ashamed for even buying the CD's and merchandise.

I certainly don't plan on taking it to a strange level, I just really enjoy how encouraging their music is to me.

Don't worry about what other people think. There's nothing wrong with knowing exactly what music you like. For crying out loud, there are still die hard Hanson fans. That's pretty weird if you ask me, but to each their own.

The Beatles will always occupy the top of the music pyramid in my world. :cool:

Obsessed? No. Insistent? Uh...maybe. :p

I can relate. When I first discovered Marilyn Manson, I became obsessed. I am still a massive fan (apart from some of their newer music which I would best describe as 'ehhh') but not as obsessed. I now tend to become obsessive about new music that I find. I will listen to the same song/album over and over and over, sometimes for weeks or months. At the moment it's a band called 'Pierce the Veil'. I have made a playlist on Spotify and I have listened to it every day (sometimes on repeat) for about 2 weeks now.

I have a habit of listening to the same song over and over, specifically "Embrace the Endless Ocean" by Amon Amarth.

I actually feel like I'm that anonymous Viking that got freed in a raid and is now setting sail unto a harsh and unforgiving ocean.

I listen to it so much I like to think it's my theme song. I listen to Amon Amarth on Spotify whenever I'm not able to listen via CD, although it is annoying when Spotify tries to "Suggest" other bands. I've caught myself verbally shouting "NO! I WILL NOT LISTEN TO SOMETHING ELSE!"

Well, I've just been told before that I should be ashamed for even buying the CD's and merchandise.

I certainly don't plan on taking it to a strange level, I just really enjoy how encouraging their music is to me.

If you enjoy it, enjoy it! I'm into music, mostly of the non-top 40 variety, singer-songwriter, bluegrass, alt-country, etc...

One musician I'm a huge fan of is Larry Norman, he was a Christian musician who pioneered Christian rock in the late 1960's and has always been a polarizing person as a musician, I have been mocked in the past - mostly in fun - for even listening to his music and owning some of his CD's, I would say more misunderstood, I've just let it roll off my back

Another of my favourite current musicians is an Alberta artist, John Wort Hannam, if you like folk country check him out! Whenever I mention him to anyone I get clueless looks, no matter I'm still a fan and I don't care!

I'm obsessed with a specific band. I have posted about them before but I try to keep the obsessing toned down and to a minimum, especially because their music is a genre that a lot of people don't find favourable.

Ever heard of Disco Polo? :p

strange i never thought i'd hear larry norman's name again .
i saw a clip on God tv where he sang with dc talk, it was quite enjoyable, sadly my anxiety attacks are too bad to listen to music now .
If you enjoy it, enjoy it! I'm into music, mostly of the non-top 40 variety, singer-songwriter, bluegrass, alt-country, etc...

One musician I'm a huge fan of is Larry Norman, he was a Christian musician who pioneered Christian rock in the late 1960's and has always been a polarizing person as a musician, I have been mocked in the past - mostly in fun - for even listening to his music and owning some of his CD's, I would say more misunderstood, I've just let it roll off my back

Another of my favourite current musicians is an Alberta artist, John Wort Hannam, if you like folk country check him out! Whenever I mention him to anyone I get clueless looks, no matter I'm still a fan and I don't care!

Thanks for reading.

Hi Marcus Chorn. Welcome to AC!!!

Compared to NTs you might be weird for obsessing over Amon Amarth. Compared to the rest of us on this site you are being perfectly normal.

My current musical obsession is with Leonard Cohen and I am really glad that others posting in this thread mentioned that Spotify lets you listen to a song over and over. :D

I have never listened to Larry Norman as an independent artist, but he sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

i was surprised hallelujah wasn't written in the sixties as he's a folk.singer -but went to google no 1984 !
Hi Marcus Chorn. Welcome to AC!!!

Compared to NTs you might be weird for obsessing over Amon Amarth. Compared to the rest of us on this site you are being perfectly normal.

My current musical obsession is with Leonard Cohen and I am really glad that others posting in this thread mentioned that Spotify lets you listen to a song over and over. :D
i

Though I am no longer obsessed with music, I think that's where my obsessiveness began to emerge - also, I could listen to them in all of my free, non-social time from childhood onwards. The band I will always love, and have loved since the age of 10, is Crowded House. Which most people probably haven't even heard of, but I am very attached to their songs - it's so odd have memories of their music from so young, before anything much in life had happened yet - well, lots of bad stuff already had and was happening, but even more was to come, and I was still so innocent at that time to it. I had no idea how my life would play out at that time, of course. Then I didn't listen to them for years - I was into lots of other genres. Decades later, after my mother died, I heard that they had put out a new album, and I was reminded - oh, Crowded House! I had always loved them, but hadn't listened to them. Then, I had the surreal experience of taking my mom's ashes on a plane to scatter them abroad - and what new album was being featured on the plane? Crowded House's latest album. It was so comforting to hear the same band, the same voice, on the flights abroad and back, and to discover how their musical style had changed. One of their original band members had committed suicide. So they had changed and been through hard times, too - and now we were back together on this weird mission flight - it was like being unexpectedly reunited with an old friend and seeing what changes we had both been through, what unexpected things had come, and how we had grown/changed form it all - all at the right time.

I'm obsessed with a specific band. I have posted about them before but I try to keep the obsessing toned down and to a minimum, especially because their music is a genre that a lot of people don't find favourable.

Ever heard of Disco Polo? :p
Nothing wrong with disco polo! Also quite like polish funk if its mainly instrumental.

Thanks for reading.
I definitely know how you feel. I love music a lot but the only band I'm obsessed with at the moment is The Psychedelic Furs.

I had heard their music before growing up (thanks to my parents who were teens in the 80s) and liked a few of their songs, but in 2014 I decided to listen to their other songs and after that, I became a new fan. I have all their albums on CD, some on vinyl (one of them was autographed by the band members!), one on cassette, three t-shirts of them, a programme for one of their tours back in the 80s, and a biography about them. I saw them live three times, met their guitarist two times (he gave me two guitar picks!) and was able to give them a letter.

Looking back before I got into The Psychedelic Furs me and my life were dull. But after getting into their music my life changed, and I don't really feel dull anymore. So I totally understand what you mean.:)

I totally understand. When I was younger, my first and earliest obsessions other than animals, was with bands. Although this was the 90s and I was 10 so it was bands like Spice Girls, NSYNC etc lmao. My world was consumed by those bands, esp the spice girls.

New Threads

Top Bottom