• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NT with an Aspie, struggling to decide whether to keep trying...

Cordelia

My Aspie boyfriend, of a year and few months, has pretty much decided that he's going to move to Europe for work purposes later this year. We currently live in the US, where I have a good job for the foreseeable future. He did make some effort to find a job in this country, but it wasn't a particularly persistent effort and he's only willing to seek opportunities in a very specific realm: he wants to work in a highly specialized field, alongside experts from that field, while also having a high degree of independence for himself to pursue whichever projects interest him. Needless to say, his requirements greatly limit the possibilities, and he's unwilling to broaden his search for the sake of us being able to stay geographically close together.

The job offer in Europe is the only offer he has at the moment. He hasn't accepted yet, but he will do so in a few days unless he is somehow persuaded otherwise.

During his career search, I was willing to compromise for him: if he managed to find a job in the US or Canada, I was willing to switch to a job nearby, even if it wouldn't be as prestigious or ideal as the one in front of me. However, for a couple of reasons (aging parents and other responsibilities), I don't currently feel prepared to move full-time to another continent. He, however, is adamantly unable to compromise on anything having to do with his career - he views his career path as a strict, one-dimensional track that he has to follow no matter the consequences on other areas of life. I asked him how it would feel if his fixation on work resulted in him growing old alone - and it honestly doesn't seem to bother him.

I feel disappointed, and confused about what to do. I haven't seen this side of him before, at least not to such an extent. I don't think I should rely on him changing his worldview within the next two years (the length of the upcoming job), so who knows whether he'll be better able to compromise at that point. At the same time, he is often a caring, reliable person, and he says that he loves me. He even cried during one of our recent conversations about this. I do care about him a lot.

If and when he leaves for the job (which would be in a few months), he wants us to try having a long-distance relationship. I'm willing to try too... but I'm worried about how we'll manage to be together again in the long term, and what other problems may arise, if he continues to be so rigid.

Is there any way to reach an Aspie who is this inflexible? And is there any point in me hoping that he might become more broad-minded in the future? I know that people's priorities often recalibrate as they get older, but I don't know if he's capable of it. I don't want to hold my breath for years, only to be disappointed again, because I think that'll hurt even worse.

Last edited:
I know that people's priorities often recalibrate as they get older, but I don't know if he's capable of it. I don't want to hold my breath for years, only to be disappointed again, because I think that'll hurt even worse.

I found this post thoughtful and well-balanced, and quite honestly, I think you know the answer already (although I don't, as I can't read your mind). But this sounds like you have a pretty sound grasp of the problem and its risks.

We aspies can fall in love with people, but more in love with our special interests. You're not going to compete successfully with a special interest that actually pays money. We also, as I remarked in a profile post, "can't miss people who don't go away." He can't miss you. Right now, your reluctance stands between him and his objective. And if his objective doesn't go as he wants it, what then?

Not being easily changed, or easy to motivate to change, isn't an aspie condition, it's a human one. FWIW, you have my sympathy.

LOL...I feel redundant and a little too wordy after Aspergirl4hire's post. But she's thinking the same thing I am. ;)

The weight of what I'm saying here is dependent upon how he truly relates to this job. If it's a "precise fit" for him and a special interest tied to his formal education, I wouldn't think of trying to talk him out of it.

In that instance I'm not sure this reflects Aspie inflexibility, so much as opportunity knocking on his door.

That said, when it does come to Aspies, if you read through this site you'll find a number of people who have agonized through employment which isn't truly suited to them. For any of us to find something that may be an "exact fit" for what we were looking for or matches our formal education, that's an incredibly important thing IMO. Especially if it's a longtime "special interest" of his. Our reality in great numbers is that we are underemployed. Something worth factoring into your equation.

If you overtly come between him and such an opportunity, you may inadvertently kill your relationship.

Let him go. First he has to be able to like and hold the job. If things work out for him think about moving. If they go badly for him, he may come home to you. Either way, you're talking about big stakes here. Career versus relationship.

Or are you totally unwilling to move to Europe for any reason with anyone?

Last edited:
Hypothetically, imagine a future where his feelings for you had led to failure in his career?
Imagine him chronically unemployed?

How would that affect your relationship?

Hypothetically, imagine a future where his feelings for you had led to failure in his career?
Imagine him chronically unemployed?

How would that affect your relationship?

To me this comes across as guilt tripping her while she's asking for advice. Obviously the answers to your questions are 'well then I'd feel bad'. Might just be me though.

Cordelia... I feel like we're kind of in the same boat. I also am dating an Aspie who's very focused on his job. He lost his a few weeks ago and, seeing as we're living on different continents, I saw this as a chance for him to find a job here. Instead he immediately started applying to jobs in his area and assumed I'd just move to his country. Despite me making it clear I don't want to on a permanent basis. Unable to compromise on his career, like you mentioned.

Your feelings of disappointment and confusion ring very close to my own. He currently 'saw the light' and is now preparing to look for jobs in my country, but not without a lot of complaining and constantly reminding me that he's doing it 'for me'. (Safe to say, this relationship is not going well)

The best advice I can give you is 'don't wait too long'. Take it from someone who's done it for a few years now and only recently realized some people (especially with ASD) will first and foremost do what they want to do themselves. The chances are very big that once he's in Europe he won't come back. If you don't want to go to Europe then I don't think it will work out for you two. Please think of what your priorities are and if they go along with his. You'll be the one doing the most compromises and if I can safe you a couple of years by helping you make a decision now, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

You both seem somewhat inflexible, you have many reasons for not wanting to go, but you also seem to have dictated quite a bit of the 'what and where' you think his life should be with you.

This seems reading between the lines, a power play on your part. He is very focused on what he wants and is taking a direct path to his interests. Let him go, he may or may not grow old alone, really that's for him to decide.

Aspergirl4hire, Judge, and Peeta, thank you for your thoughtful insights from both sides of the issue. It seems that the thing to do for now is to go with the flow and let him do his thing, see how things progress, and work out before too long whether our values and priorities are compatible.

New Threads

Top Bottom