• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NT dating AS? PLEASE POST!!!!

Hi Rachel , I do the the same thing now. It's hard to be precise with ' how you feel' so I just ask for a moment to get my words right. We also struggle to communicate, mainly because he speaks eloquently and I tend to struggle with this.

I am an NT who has been withba guy with HFA for 10 months. It did fall apart in the beginning because I was so typical in my response to him needing space, I took it personally. We got back together and I have worked so hard to understand him and why he behaves a certain way. It is hard work!! But I adore him. I do find I cry a lot because I miss him but I never pressure him or even tell him, I kind of feel this is me reacting in an NT way and that he is giving as much as he can. He has a lot of personal stuff, young kids, lack of money that really stresses him out. We work because as he says I let him have his space. I guess this is never easy but when I am with him he is probably the most affectionate man I have ever known. He is funny, honest and caring so for as he can put up with my NT ways I am sticking with him!

I am an NT who has been withba guy with HFA for 10 months. It did fall apart in the beginning because I was so typical in my response to him needing space, I took it personally.

For what it's worth, it means a lot to me to hear that from an NT. We ARE complicated.

All my relationships with NTs fell apart, and they all took my needing space personally. But neither of us understood each other's neurological dynamics at the time. Which makes it imperative for us to understand as early as is possible who and what we are.

It's utterly to our advantage to know, so we can attempt to deal with it rather than end up like me who found out just a little too late.

For what it's worth, it means a lot to me to hear that from an NT. We ARE complicated.

All my relationships with NTs fell apart, and they all took my needing space personally. But neither of us understood each other's neurological dynamics at the time. Which makes it imperative for us to understand as early as is possible who and what we are.

It's utterly to our advantage to know, so we can attempt to deal with it rather than end up like me who found out just a little too late.

If I am honest Judge I think although it is a partnership I think the NT in the relationship has to be giving because in the end it is probably easier for us. We dont live each day trying to make sense of everything, trying to filter out every noise just to focus or being confused when people are mad at us. It is far easier for me to make consessions then it would be for him. I dont mean that patronisingly I am just being honest. I know sometimes he is so stressed he cannot focus, I know other woman have manipulated him. He hates talking on the phone so I tell him it is ok not to call me. I hope one day you will meet someone who will be willing to adjust their needs to meet yours xx

If I am honest Judge I think although it is a partnership I think the NT in the relationship has to be giving because in the end it is probably easier for us.

Yes. I'm also inclined to believe that while in any successful relationship both people are ethically compelled to give, the reality is that it's unlikely to assume any Aspie can give equally or as much as can an NT. That it's one of those things you just have to accept as you go along in such a relationship.

Yet in all honesty, this dynamic is fundamentally asking a lot of any NT involved with an Aspie.

Long before I knew I was Aspie, I had heard that in any relationship there is one who typically does the giving in/going along. But after many years now I am not sure that is actually the best way or any guarrentee of success. I think in many cases all it does is form a dam of resentment that will give one day, and perhaps take the relationship with it.

NTs aren't attracted to Aspies for no reason. It is often because they are different. It may be the Aspie provides something in a relationship that the NT wants/needs but hasn't been able to find elsewhere. But in time all the other aspects of an autism affected personality come out, and those are different too and some will not be just what they always wanted. The Aspie goes thru the same sort of cycle. In the beginning its usually just about the couple but then they find out there is a whole set of NT expectations and needs unlike their own.

As Judge said theoretically both partners should try and give equally but that is not feasible in many cases. Everything can't be cut neatly down the middle. I find there are some places I can give a lot of ground, some a bit and some hardly any at all. It seems to be exactly the same with the NT.

This is where the work comes in, over time going over each thing, each sector piece by piece and coming up with a satisfactory and sustainable balance (equalness in met needs and desires) between you. Sometimes you might have to put up with an imbalance just to get past a hard spot, but long term its not good.

A partner may not always see it this way or see it at all. Then you must force them to see it. One way or another, probably best with tact and patience, they must come to understand and care enough to give.

Actually, neurotypicals need time ALONE to "recharge" also. In some situations I find isolation to be critical to restore energy, whereas other times I need to be with individuals who "get me" to talk things out together in order to relieve anxiety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 36 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 178 of 200
I agree that sometimes NTs also like to be alone at times, or need to recharge (either rest or just withdraw). I am in that group with the exception that I NEVER need to withdraw or be away from my family, & mainly my husband, Mom or sister. I read once long ago a quote about how family members needed to be able to be 'alone, together' meaning be in the same room or space together, but each be able to be doing their own separate thing like reading or whatever. Alone, but together. (Of course that doesn't mean always ignoring each other or never communicating etc..) I just know that I prefer to BE WITH any (or all) of those three people (& preferably at least my hubby) versus being entirely alone. I guess they each cause me zero angst or anxiety, & even add positive, peaceful vibes.

I also always like to have a dog or cat around if possible. I could not be pet-less, because IMO 'life is better with pets'. :catface::dogface: :)

Last edited:
Long before I knew I was Aspie, I had heard that in any relationship there is one who typically does the giving in/going along. But after many years now I am not sure that is actually the best way or any guarrentee of success. I think in many cases all it does is form a dam of resentment that will give one day, and perhaps take the relationship with it.

NTs aren't attracted to Aspies for no reason. It is often because they are different. It may be the Aspie provides something in a relationship that the NT wants/needs but hasn't been able to find elsewhere. But in time all the other aspects of an autism affected personality come out, and those are different too and some will not be just what they always wanted. The Aspie goes thru the same sort of cycle. In the beginning its usually just about the couple but then they find out there is a whole set of NT expectations and needs unlike their own.

As Judge said theoretically both partners should try and give equally but that is not feasible in many cases. Everything can't be cut neatly down the middle. I find there are some places I can give a lot of ground, some a bit and some hardly any at all. It seems to be exactly the same with the NT.

This is where the work comes in, over time going over each thing, each sector piece by piece and coming up with a satisfactory and sustainable balance (equalness in met needs and desires) between you. Sometimes you might have to put up with an imbalance just to get past a hard spot, but long term its not good.

A partner may not always see it this way or see it at all. Then you must force them to see it. One way or another, probably best with tact and patience, they must come to understand and care enough to give.
I think in a romantic relationship people need to give equally, or really, each give more than 50% as well as be & show commitment, willingness & be the polar opposite of stubbornness. When one partner is always giving in or going along, or always gives more, there is bound to eventually be some resentment, bad feelings or disappointment. Also, no one wants to be end up feeling like their partner's parent. And no one wants to be left feeling unloved or unappreciated.

But that is NOT to say that each partner is always giving equally at every moment or in the same way, just that both partners need to FEEL good about the relationship in a 'net-net' way. If a partner truly feels loved, respected, appreciated, & treasured IMO they would not mind making a larger share of compromises to accommodate their loved one's 'issues', disabilities, illnesses, difficulties or whatever they might be. That is an example of two equally committed & loving partners where one NEEDS more than the other, but NOT that one loves more than the other.

IMO that is where one common problem seems to arise from many 'dating' NT/Aspie relationships. One person (usually the woman & usually an NT) is actually unhappy or just sad, dissatisfied or hurt over an intimate relationship with an Aspie male because although they seem extremely compatible & happy when together, the male is not showing the expected signs of interest (& thus also commitment) when they are not physically together. The question becomes 'is the way he's acting because of his Aspergers?' After all, obsessive interests, withdrawing for extended periods, lack of communication, etc.. can reportedly be Aspie traits. (Plus sometimes throw in that he's been hurt before so is now bitter.) The lovelorn female always wonders if it's really a great mutual love & he's just showing Aspie traits that he can't help, OR is she just 'loving too much" - i.e.; waiting around for a guy who just isn't THAT into her. She hates to give up on someone she loves & is crazy about, BUT .....

I find it interesting that in many cases the male is behaving much like either a commitment phobic or a narcissistic man. In one example here on AC, the guy even exhibited psychopath or sociopathic traits which must have co-existed with his ASD. In a few cases the relationship mirrors "a friends with benefits" arrangement.

To be honest, I see NO benefit to the woman in these relationships, & in my own opinion the young women who are attracted to (& hang around) in these unhappy situations have their own personal emotional issues - one specifically mentioned childhood trauma. In other words, an emotionally & mentally healthy & stable NT would NOT become attached to, or be interested in guys who acted or treated them this way. For whatever reason they are treating a woman who claims to love them & who is having sex with them poorly, carelessly & with disregard. Most (maybe all?) of the young women who have requested love advice on AC would receive a "dump him now" (& also focus on & heal yourself) admonition from me, but I try to stay quiet.

I do NOT think that is the same as having a true friend or bf/gf relationship with an Aspie who is committed & loves/cares for their friend or partner BUT has limitations as to what they can & cannot do, & requires some special accommodations.

Random example: if I had a friend who had no arms I would always carry everything for the two of us. I would not mind or believe that they were not doing their share etc.. But it would be nice for them to say once in awhile,'Hey, I really appreciate you always carrying everything, thank you'. Or if I started to get the feeling (in my heart) that we did not mutually value each other, & I was just being used to carry their stuff around for them, hmmm ... I would dump them.

I do think an NT & Aspie could fall in love, & have a happy & satisfying relationship if they shared a mutual love, respect & commitment. I think the bigger hindrance to a healthy, happy realtionship is not being ASD &/or NT, but the existence of co-morbid or co-existing psychiatric conditions. Fortunately some are more mild & also more treatable than others. I also personally think that either partner having a true personality disorder is a major hindrance. Otherwise, where there is love & intelligence, all things should be possible. (Cue the music ... :p)

I'm an NT in a long distance relationship with my AS boyfriend, and so far the biggest thing for us is making sure we communicate effectively, and let each other know when we have issues, or don't understand why the other is acting they the way they are. One thing I am still getting used to is the way sometimes he is very affectionate and other times seems to be barely there. I know not to bother him in the later case and try not to, but sometimes that is a little emotionally wearing. I have had to develop an entirely new set of dating expectations for him, which has been useful in making sure we are both happy in the relationship. There are definitely the occasional problems, usually resulting from me getting emotional and upset and forgetting to explain it to him, so he doesn't feel like it is his fault or that I am mad at him when I am not. And also the occasional misunderstanding, which is usually resolved by asking the other person to clarify their meaning.

It is so interesting how we all really have the same issues!! My relationship is perfect in many ways, he is affectionate, caring, funny and just gorgeous inside and out but the loneliness is the killer, when they retreat into themselves. My bf has got so much better at still communicating even when he has a meltdown and I have told him how much I appreciate that and we do talk everyday allday via text so I guess in some ways I have it easy!!

New Threads

Top Bottom