• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not learning anything in college

That's been my school experience too. I have an associates, two bachelors and I'm almost done with a masters. It's rarely interesting or applicable to what you want to do and you have to teach yourself.

I bend whatever I can to apply to what I'm doing. What I do is critical autism studies. So for example when I took a human rights course and was asked to bring material to class, I brought material related to the human rights of autistic people. That way I found things that I would use later and I also got to spread the word about what was important to me.

You may have to ask to switch things around sometimes, but I'm sure your professors would be up for it. They'd probably like your moxie. Let's say they want you to do a project where you find the zoning requirements for a daycare. You could ask to find the zoning requirements for an animal daycare instead. This way you're actively participating in your own education and making it interesting.

Welcome to college!
Most of the stuff you learn is an extension of high school.
I felt that most of my classes even in Masters of Information Technology Management were useless and/or too simplistic.
I was able to do well in most of my classes that weren't Math and Accounting based, with decent to great grades, even when struggling with medications.
Though I feel very few of my classes actually taught me anything useful that I could apply in life.

So I don't feel prepared for the job market (yes I have had internships, though those didn't teach me much either).

Welcome to college!
Most of the stuff you learn is an extension of high school.
I felt that most of my classes even in Masters of Information Technology Management were useless and/or too simplistic.
I was able to do well in most of my classes that weren't Math and Accounting based, with decent to great grades, even when struggling with medications.
Though I feel very few of my classes actually taught me anything useful that I could apply in life.

So I don't feel prepared for the job market (yes I have had internships, though those didn't teach me much either).

As I've stated in an earlier reply, I'm in my third year of college.

As I've stated in an earlier reply, I'm in my third year of college.
My point is/was you most likely won't learn that much regarding your desired career path.
Most internships won't teach you much either, instead making you do low end office work to help them catch up.
Good internships are rare this day in age, especially ones you qualify for.

New Threads

Top Bottom