• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not fitting the DSM V Aspergers Diagnosis

David G

Hi. I have just joined this forum. From my reading I don't fit the DSM 5 autism/Aspergers diagnosis but am probably closer to the new Social (pragmatic) Communication Disorder. This post may be a bit long though I will try to avoid a tendency to overdetail..​

At 72 years the main value of delving into the area is to understand how my life and relationships have been affected. Also, our adult daughter is currently being assessed for Aspergers and finds life extremely challenging. So I need more understanding of her situation as well as improving my communication with her and my wife.

My wife and daughter have experienced my high lack of empathy, literal interpretation of their statements and endless questions to understand what they mean - my daughter gets quite frustrated.

My intense though varied interests, were often at the expense of family and I still experience noticing that I have become carried away with discussing an interest.

Inapproprite social responses, naivety about others' intentions and insensitivity, have limited my career, though a generous employer in a large government department moved me into areas where I could succeed for example using my fascination with detail in legal stuff.

They used my intellect in large detailed projects and tolerated my overdetailing. I was not invited to some meetigs because I couldn't think politically and often said what I thought. I was not promoted because of my people mangement and organisational skills and I suspect, because of limited narrow thinking where nuance and flexiblity were required.

An early assessment of both my strengths and limitations would have been invaluable to family and career. My wife tells me how she struggled to cope with two of us especially with my lack of empathy, though I shared the continuing challenges of supporting our daughter.

At 34 our daughter needs a fair amount of support. The effort of helping with the strong swings in self esteem, the fear of failure and keeping on track, gaining her potential and having a good life is very stressful and demanding. She has made great progress but we are anxious about whether she will make it in the end and are we providing the right balance giving support and helping her gain independence, for instance, should we help clean up her living space when the floor debris becomes hazardous and we know she can't organise to do this herself (limited executive function).

She might be an Aspie. I don't fit the criteria but share some of the characteristics.

I hope that joining this forum may help in joining some dots and developing perspective.

Welcome!
Social Communication Disorder is an autism spectrum condition, I'm not sure why the DSM V felt the need to separate it from autism. People diagnosed with it might not get the help they need because it might not be taken as serioulsy as autism is :(

welcome.png

I'm also confident that you have some interesting perspective to share.

@Catana Someone is also going to show up later who is in their 80s..

Welcome.

I'm already here, Fridgemagnetman.

@David G -- Better late than never, but I know from experience that knowing earlier would have made a huge difference in my marriage. That you've maintained your marriage without that knowledge says a lot about you and your family. Good to see you here.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom