• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

None of "U"

I lived in far north Michigan for years, and in all my time crashing in the woods, I was never able to see a moose. Or a wolf.

Lots of deer and polecats (thanks Crossbreed ).

I had to Google "timber tigers." That one was entirely new to me.

I live in middling Northern BC, Canada, so moose are very often seen.

Once, on another non-ASD board, I posted digital photographs to show how high the snow levels get to be in winter. Someone who lived in the warmer climes of part of North America did not believe that the images were real, and insisted they had been photoshopped (is this really a word? Maybe the correct spelling is Photo Shopped?)

I find myself still, to this day, entertained by her reaction.

"photoshopped" is, indeed the term that commonly refers to any and all
digital editing of photographs regardless of what software is employed.

How deep was the snow?

Normally 4 to five feet. Covers the top of the fence posts.

The snow shoveled from the driveway and walkways and piled up made for narrow passages with sheer snow walls of six to seven feet.

I finally decided to invest in a snow-blower last year.

So predictably, we hardly had any snow.

I ran it 3 times to be exact, before an early thaw set in.

Oh well, it will snow again soon, guaranteed.

When I get back to my home desk-top device, I'll try and find some of these photos and post them here. If anyone has lived or is living in snowy areas, they will probably look not so remarkable.

Last edited:
The south shore of the largest Great Lake does not lack for lake effect snow. People definitely do not comprehend the coverage. I can't seem to find my northern city (named after a French explorer and missionary to the native people; has the banned letter in both names!) snowbank photos at the moment.

The snow thermometer at almost the top of Michigan keeps track every year:

c757d4e460d47a13d89c4a50b89c3fb6.jpg

Last edited:
To my chagrin, I had left an offending word in my above post, and did go back and edited it. I apologize for the lapse.

It seemed like a good idea, early this morning,
to stick some plastic wrap in the hole by the
front door.

Later, when the yellow jackets were in between
the storm door and the inner door, it didn't
seem like a good idea.

And when some of them poked their stingers into
my hand as I was going to feed the chickens, it seemed
entirely bad.

Ow! I hope the hand is okay.

There have been yellow jackets in my romaine lately. I worry that, when trimming off leaves to eat, my hand will meet their pointy ends.

I had the notion that they were after pooled water; then I read that they may be nomming on leaf-eating insects.

My hand looks like it has no bones.
Like a glove over-filled with water.

Red. Sore. Nasty itching. Hot. Stiff from swelling.

My spaniel sniffed a rotting log, while on a walk in the forest. Recall her shaking her long ears to rid herself of the hornets, they attacked in battalions. Her eyelids and brown nose and ears swelled as did mine and my mates, his eyelid ballooned into a golf-ball sized knob, it looked like it might rip.

At the hospital the emergency room doctor took photographs, as he lay on a bed with an IV drip to alleviate the swelling. They said it was an allergic reaction, yet neither I nor the spaniel swelled noticeably the second day. Remember the pain, it's not something easily forgotten. Ice?

Last edited:
I have been drenching my hand and wrist with vinegar.
It takes some of the pain away.
My wrist and hand are so swollen it looks like I have a
fat baby hand, complete with a crease at the
hand and wrist intersection.

Woman across the road said it looks like the two hands
are from different people.

When I was attacked last time by hornets I looked for this plant, mashed it and placed it on my face:

Spotted jewel weed, especially the sap from the stems:

upload_2016-8-31_19-27-3.jpeg
upload_2016-8-31_19-27-25.jpeg
It worked and my face didn't swell.

Last edited:
And speaking of attacked,
I went to go for a walk and
was attacked by a dog.

A big dog. Moments ago.

The people hollered 'she's friendly'
and that shepherd was friendly.
I said "Hi Doggie," and the OTHER
one hit me hard in the pelvis
with its open maw.

Broke the skin.
Didn't "bite."
Gash two inches long.

Last edited:
I want to clarify what I said last night.

The dog didn't get a meaty bite of me.
It bit my clothes, grazed my skin, and broke it.
Got his teeth tangled in my clothes.

Good thing I was wearing more than one pair
of pants.

I was glad he didn't go for the hand with the
yellow jacket stings. Forearm & hand are still
swollen, however, I can detect bones in the
back of my hand today.

Hydrocortisone.

Mishaps are befalling Miss tree left and right! Who lets their not-friendly dog loose and not watched to roam free and attack? Bad dog owners!

Good news on the swelling decreasing. I have had a similar thing happen once when I layed my hand on a large, heavy-bodied bee-like flying, nectar-collecting insect (this was many years ago - nothing similar of recent events).

I am enjoying the slightly stilted and odd rhythm of writing this game demands for posting. It is almost Shakespearical! :)

It is, or can be, rather an odd cadence.
A person has to be alert in order not to
err.

New Threads

Top Bottom