• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Non-medication/therapy solutions for extreme distress

In theory, behavioral approaches, where you train yourself to have a certain calm response to a specific stimulus, is extremely helpful. The problem is that we need to remember to do it. And it needs to be something that can be done with the minimum of props, wherever we are.

So, for minor distress: meditation, mindfulness, CBT and DBT are great. So is, for me, a cup of Tension Tamer or Jasmine tea. I've trained myself to feel calm when drinking or smelling those teas. Lavender oil also works for me. When I remember to use it. As well as certain pieces of music... as long as the distress is minor, otherwise I ruin the music for future use.

I read something last week... on facebook maybe?... about someone who used a clicker to reinforce moments of joy so that when she was not having a good time, she'd click her clicker and remember/experience the feeling of joy.

But if you're in meltdown mode, will you remember your clicker, your tea, your favorite song or pastime? Probably not. Personally, I don't remember to call helpful people at those times, either. Or can't.

Oh, and on the topic of homeopathic remedies and the like, while they haven't been studied in any great depth it HAS been proven that placebos are often as potent as pharmaceuticals.

Our minds are powerful.

Years ago I worked in a very busy bookstore and experienced a lot of anxiety from sensory overwhelm. (It was REALLY busy.) The management kept a few bottles of something called "Rescue Remedy" in the back for us to use when we were feeling overwhelmed or unwell. (Made up of "flower essences.")

Did it work? Maybe. I believe that the act of slowly letting the tincture absorb (under my tongue) triggered a relaxation (placebo) response.

New Threads

Top Bottom