• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Noisy People at Work.

At work. Trying to concentrate. All I can hear is the cackling, shrieky, noisy gaggle of people and that's over my headphones playing some serious technical death metal.

I feel like shouting, "Shut the **** up! Did nobody teach you about indoor voices?!?!"

...but it's probably just me, my autobotism and my hyperaucusis / misophonia.

Can anyone relate?

I completely understand! It's so un-nerving! My Aspie grandkid calls it "unnecessary noise", which is a great explanation! Unnecessary noise makes my skin crawl and feel like doing violence! My worst things are boom-boom music (of any gendre) from passing cars and gum! I find myself wishing ill on the guy that invented gum! Human beings are rude, selfish, and evil. How about the canned laughter on some TV shows. I won't watch them...hate that, too. Sorry you have to work in that environment. It helps to know others here at least understand.

The thing that really gets to me these days are people who don't even give it a thought about carrying out very loud and animated conversations on their cell phones in very public places. It irks me to no end.

Where some total stranger is "damaging my calm". o_O

Last edited:
The thing that really gets to me these days are people who don't even give it a thought about carrying out very loud and animated conversations on their cell phones in very public places. It irks me to no end.

Where some total stranger is "damaging my calm". o_O
I get terrible, terrible phone anxiety and trying to concentrate on someone talking on the phone is painful so I promise this is never me! :3

Not sure what else to say. But all of the above. Being social sucks. Why can't people just shut up and just stare into their computers? Damn. Who invented speech anyway. Totally useless.

At work. Trying to concentrate. All I can hear is the cackling, shrieky, noisy gaggle of people and that's over my headphones playing some serious technical death metal.

I feel like shouting, "Shut the **** up! Did nobody teach you about indoor voices?!?!"

Can anyone relate?

I work in a daycare type place at a gym and it's got a baby area and a toddler area and an area like 3 to 8 years old so we can get quite a bit of kids and today we took them outside because it was just crazy busy wild with the kids. there was a point when we had some kids taking noodles you know the pool noodles, and slapping the floor and the walls and making the worst smacking slapping sounds and it was so loud . These were solid though they're not hollow on the inside and they're not made of like a Styrofoam material or whatever these are actual sick phone and they are solid throughout and we have big thick ones that are like as thick as a kid. and then we have some really thick rectangular ones that are a good few feet long and then some that are rectangular and several feet long and these are all meant for like giant building . If you want to build stuff etc. but the kids like to take the blocks and hit each other and we have to constantly tell the kids knock it off and today the kids were taking the noodles and slapping the walls and slapping the linoleum and we had to tell the kids stop hitting and upon telling them to stop hating they would just drop the noodles and run and do something else but eventually they would scream and run around acting like fools because they're playing with each other and you have one that's got a noodle and making it a weapon and he's audibly making bullet sound and running around after the kids and they're all running away screaming and this is all in good fun and they're all pretending and they're not really scared of him they're just pretending like they're screaming and running and it got really of noxious with 50 kids doing this and running into each other and some kids that had no idea what's going on where in the way getting hit falling over crying etc. so I had to flip the entire classroom lights down and the kids immediately stopped and all steered because they know what this means it doesn't make them stop and scream wondering why the lights went out they immediately know when the lights are out they stop and stare at the teacher because she's gonna say something scolding at them . And that's exactly what I did at the top of my lungs I plug my ears because I was going to say it as loud as I could and hurt my own ears so I plugged my ears and I hollered extremely loudly that if I ever hear them scream like that again for the rest of the day I will make each and every one of those 50 children sit right where they're at and they will not talk for five minutes straight and they will not be allowed to play and they will not be allowed to look at each other they will have to sit still wherever they are standing with no toys in hand no coloring no talking no looking at each other for five minutes straight and they will regret it and they all stop screaming them then on the rest of the time. its innoxious when you have trouble with sensory overload and trouble with paying attention and staying focused when all of that is rushing out once it's really difficult and it freaks you out I get it..

BTW if you want some good noise canceling headphones you can either do the regular Bose noise canceling headphones or the noise canceling earbuds from Bose. but the cool thing about those is you can either shut them so that you don't hear any noise not even your own self or they have a feature where you can shut it off so that the rest of the world cannot be heard no matter if they stood right next to you. You cant even hear your own self but you can hear music being played in the headphones only. I've been wanting to get Bose headphones for the longest time. they seem to be the only ones I've ever heard of that work as noise canceling as they are that actually shut off noise from the outside world even your own voice if you wanted. I've heard that you can use them on the airplane so that you can just sleep and it is so silent you don't even have to plug them into anything I don't think but you may still have to, idk but I know there's a feature regardless but it may only work if you plug them into something to get them on but you might not have to plug them in to make that noise canceling feature work but you should try it. I've heard of other headphones that claim to be noise canceling but these Bose ones are the only ones that I think actually are that I actually have a feature that makes you physically like deaf because you can't hear a damn thing not even your own self when wearing them.

So basically I work with kids at a daycare like place within the gym. Well basically there's a baby area a toddler area and an area for the older kids 3 to 8 years old and so there can be quite a few kids. There can be sometimes 50 kids are sometimes hundred kids or sometimes 10 kids it just depends. But today we had quite a few kids. had to take the kids outside most of them because it was just so crazy today. Well we have this thing I don't know what it's called but only a few people in the country have it but they are thick blue foam objects that are about 2 feet tall each and there's a noodle kind of like a pool noodle but it's not hollow on the inside it's solid and the phone is not made of like Styrofoam or whatever it's actually like thick thick blue foam and we have really wide ones that are the width of two arms put together maybe three arms put together and they're a little bit shorter and we have rectangular foam blocks that are like a couple feet long and then some that are rectangular in several feet long and measurement for building things some of them have little holes on the end or in the middle that are intended for the noodles to go through and this is all for building things . Well the kids were hitting with the noodles even though they know they're not allowed to make guns with them they are not allowed to use them as light sabers and they are not allowed to use them as baseball bats and they are not allowed to use them as sword so any time that they hold them in their arms and they go pow pow pow pow or puma pume pume we tell them no guns no swords no light sabers and the baseball bats with those noodles and most of the time the kids are like me and now you ruined it and they drop them in the go somewhere else because it's no longer fun for them because I just killed all of their funds or the other teachers just killed all of their fun but it's important because no weapons are allowed not even fake ones+ they cannot hear each other with them those are solid and they hurt really bad even if you barely talk to somebody because those are little kids they hurt when you smack with them I've even been smacked with them in the leg and it hurts . So today the kids were beating the wall and the linoleum floor with these noodles and it made the loudest sound because it echoes so badly in the room it echoes so loudly that I kept having to tell the kids to stop and I would tell multiple times to the same kids and then we had issues where 20 or 30 kids would be screaming and running pretending that they're being chased by a monster and there's a kid with a needle in his hand and he's running around pretending to hit and pretending to shoot as the kids are screaming and running it's all in good fun and it's just playing but I had to flip the lights off and every child in the room looked at me and gas because they knew exactly what I was gonna say which was something scolding . Now sometimes you get kids that don't know because they've never been there so upon turning the lights off the screen because I don't understand why the lights just got dark but most of the time the kids look at me as if they know I'm gonna scold them for something and they all shut the heck up. I plug my ears because I was gonna say something so loud I would hurt my own ears I hollered really loudly at the top of my lungs that if I ever hear screaming like that again the rest of the day they would all be sitting down right where they're standing on their butts Indian style and they were all , all 50 of them have to have a 5 to 10 minute timeframe where they cannot say a word they cannot look at each other and they cannot have any toy in hand even if they brought it from their own home I will take it from them and put it in the cubbies and they will just have to sit empty-handed quiet and cannot look at each other for 5 to 10 minutes depending on how long and how well they behave during the time that they're sitting quietly and I do not want to have to tell them to do that but I will if I hear anymore screaming and not to make me get there and not a single kid screamed the rest of the day. I only worked about 11:51 which is usually the timeframe that the daycare is open and then it opens again at 4 to 8 but I can guarantee you that entire time frame that it was open this morning I didn't hear a peep from anybody besides the typical usual child chatter but no screaming no hitting know that there was a few cries and wines because people were taking toys from each other and talking Portsdown that had been built with great strength and whatever the kids were really feeling their house was important and their forts were being knocked down by kids that were just being obnoxious but I didn't have to tell too many kids quit hitting or quit screaming beyond that one time except for a few kids that came in a little late and I had it repeat myself to them that they weren't here when I told the whole class so I'm gonna tell them and tell them very quickly and one time. it's very overwhelming I agree. When you're in a situation where you're overwhelmed with so much noise going on it's of noxious nobody wants to hear it. especially not somebody that has difficulty with getting overstimulated in trouble with focusing and concentrating and paying attention or maybe a combination of those things like myself. I used to have a device called tangle toy that I love. It's basically macaroni noodle shaped blocks that are convexed on one side and concave on the other and the convexed side has a little point concaved side is basically like a hollowed out piece on the end and each noodle has one and basically you can snap one into the other and it practically makes like a necklace and each noodle is like 2 inches long. And each noodle can connect into the otherby snapping the convex side into theconcave side if this makes any senseand so therefore you can spendortwist each of the noodles aroundindividually or as a whole and you can pop them off andAdmore and some of them glow-in-the-dark some of themhave textured noodles some of them are sparkly some of them are solidetc. and it's kind of neat because it's a fidget toy if you will Espira original fidget toy for autistic kids I went to eightconferencethatwas for momsand dads and their kids andit had information on this toy and you could buy the toy at the table next to the entrance to the conference room and I kept this thing for years because it was a fantastic toy and it helped me when I was fidgeting and nobody told me I couldn't have it because I kept it under my desk table in my lap and I would fidget with it and I could do fidgeting with one hand while the other hand is writing or sometimes I would stop writing and I would fidget with it under my desk for a few minutes or I would take it to recess etc. now I don't know if I would say that only children with focusing and concentration and stimulation issues should have one and not narrow typical kids but a narrow typical kid doesn't need one as much they just think that those devices are cool they just think that fidgeting type devices are cool but they don't need them because they don't have a disability whereas a person with a disability who can't focus very well and gets easily distracted and easily overstimulated needs one more.
so there is a headphone that is called noise canceling from Bose. it basically has two features one it cancels out any noise from anybody around you even yourself so you basically are death you basically can't hear jack squat not even your own voice when you put your hand into your head and block your ears you hear your voice that you're speaking amplified through your school or whatever but you don't hear the outside noise because your ears are plugged Welbes headphones block out any noise even your own voice and you can also set it to the feature where it blocks out every noise around you except it plays music in the headphones if you have it plugged into a device where you're putting music into the headphones and only the headphone music will come through to you but you can't hear any noise outside of the headphones not even your own voice which is nice you can choose which feature totally silent or silent except for the music playing in the headphones and they also have noise canceling earbuds as well if you're interested in just earbuds because the headphones are really big and old-fashioned style headphones the big black earmuff looking headphones.
Oh here is the link to the tangle le toy what it looks like if anybody's interested
Tangle Toy

I work in a daycare type place at a gym and it's got a baby area and a toddler area and an area like 3 to 8 years old so we can get quite a bit of kids and today we took them outside because it was just crazy busy wild with the kids. there was a point when we had some kids taking noodles you know the pool noodles, and slapping the floor and the walls and making the worst smacking slapping sounds and it was so loud . These were solid though they're not hollow on the inside and they're not made of like a Styrofoam material or whatever these are actual sick phone and they are solid throughout and we have big thick ones that are like as thick as a kid. and then we have some really thick rectangular ones that are a good few feet long and then some that are rectangular and several feet long and these are all meant for like giant building . If you want to build stuff etc. but the kids like to take the blocks and hit each other and we have to constantly tell the kids knock it off and today the kids were taking the noodles and slapping the walls and slapping the linoleum and we had to tell the kids stop hitting and upon telling them to stop hating they would just drop the noodles and run and do something else but eventually they would scream and run around acting like fools because they're playing with each other and you have one that's got a noodle and making it a weapon and he's audibly making bullet sound and running around after the kids and they're all running away screaming and this is all in good fun and they're all pretending and they're not really scared of him they're just pretending like they're screaming and running and it got really of noxious with 50 kids doing this and running into each other and some kids that had no idea what's going on where in the way getting hit falling over crying etc. so I had to flip the entire classroom lights down and the kids immediately stopped and all steered because they know what this means it doesn't make them stop and scream wondering why the lights went out they immediately know when the lights are out they stop and stare at the teacher because she's gonna say something scolding at them . And that's exactly what I did at the top of my lungs I plug my ears because I was going to say it as loud as I could and hurt my own ears so I plugged my ears and I hollered extremely loudly that if I ever hear them scream like that again for the rest of the day I will make each and every one of those 50 children sit right where they're at and they will not talk for five minutes straight and they will not be allowed to play and they will not be allowed to look at each other they will have to sit still wherever they are standing with no toys in hand no coloring no talking no looking at each other for five minutes straight and they will regret it and they all stop screaming them then on the rest of the time. its innoxious when you have trouble with sensory overload and trouble with paying attention and staying focused when all of that is rushing out once it's really difficult and it freaks you out I get it..

BTW if you want some good noise canceling headphones you can either do the regular Bose noise canceling headphones or the noise canceling earbuds from Bose. but the cool thing about those is you can either shut them so that you don't hear any noise not even your own self or they have a feature where you can shut it off so that the rest of the world cannot be heard no matter if they stood right next to you. You cant even hear your own self but you can hear music being played in the headphones only. I've been wanting to get Bose headphones for the longest time. they seem to be the only ones I've ever heard of that work as noise canceling as they are that actually shut off noise from the outside world even your own voice if you wanted. I've heard that you can use them on the airplane so that you can just sleep and it is so silent you don't even have to plug them into anything I don't think but you may still have to, idk but I know there's a feature regardless but it may only work if you plug them into something to get them on but you might not have to plug them in to make that noise canceling feature work but you should try it. I've heard of other headphones that claim to be noise canceling but these Bose ones are the only ones that I think actually are that I actually have a feature that makes you physically like deaf because you can't hear a damn thing not even your own self when wearing them.
My kid does that with the pool noodles. I couldn't ever get them out away so they've just been on the porch all year. At least they are safer than using sticks and rocks as fake weapons. Kind of reminds me of the Styrofoam weapons they'd have the gladiators fight with.

I work in a very noisy environment and it can make hearing things v difficult, however I find at home I cannot bear the radio being loud or listening to my mum while the radio is on, I find it too much

NTs seem to like laughing, it boggles the mind; do they actually find everything funny? Are they just being polite? Is there some other reason I fail to understand for this raucous laughter? Maddening.

Relevant to this topic: I once worked in an office with a dozen other Aspies, crammed into a very small room with small desks and no dividers. For eight solid hours, every day, there would be, at max, six sentences of dialogue between all of us combined and when the printers and scanners weren't running you could seriously hear a pin drop. It was a-mazing.

I just read this in a book and thought it was applicable, "People laugh because they're nervous, or to cover up tension, or to flirt, or because there's some instant applause meter in their head telling them that it's the socially acceptable thing to do. Genuine laughter, I don't think that happens daily."

Lol w/o the out loud :tearsofjoy:

Well, where I come from the people do not talk to each other - they shout, and loudly. It's a cultural habit, but not easy to adapt to. My department also opened a tearoom right next to my office and so I have to put up with that all day!

I cannot manage with noise - even the dogs barking in the neighbourhood make me want to go out and kick their owners.

I work in an open plan office at the moment, but I've never had such a relaxed work environment. Granted, people's phones are ringing quite a lot, but everyone uses indoor voices and when people need to talk to each other, they mostly whisper. Plus the lights are dimmed, the office is soundproof and the carpet dulls the sound of anyone walking. Aspie heaven to be sure, as big offices go. I can never go back.

Not sure what else to say. But all of the above. Being social sucks. Why can't people just shut up and just stare into their computers? Damn. Who invented speech anyway. Totally useless.

Reminds me of when I went to france. I had no idea what anyone was talking about. What a joy.

Can anyone relate?
OMG YES!! I just want to hit them over the head with a chair!! I now take my breaks early (thankfully my breaks are flexible!) so I generally have the staff room to myself. Am job hunting, but don't know what I can find where I don't have this issue!!
SERIOUSLY doesn't help that I share a room with the two biggest backstabbing gossips who ACTUALLY read their e-mails out loud and chatter non-stop about what they are doing - seriously don't want to know what her kids ate for breakfast today!!! AAAGHH!!!

As for the Technical Death Metal. That's just what I like and it is much better at drowning out the noise from outside. It doesn't get me angry. I'm too busy trying to follow the intricate changes in key signatures and how it works mathematically lol (I usually fail but I try to follow the patterns).
I was totally weirded out to find trance-classical was so calming! I play and love classical music but a trance version of Fur Elise is my go-to at work.

Yes - at my last desk job, I worked in cubicle city. But people would spend a lot of time socializing. There was one woman who sat near me who would talk for very long periods about the most boring details of her life. It was both very distracting and very annoying.
She's now working at the desk next to me...

I can totally relate! Where I work, we recently went to an "open office design", meaning small cubes with low walls "to foster collaboration". I worked in an office that was smaller than the main and had fewer distractions. I then found out that we were all going to be moved together to the large office where all of the noise was.

That lasted for 3 weeks and upper management decided to let us all work from home. Wow... what a blessing that has been!!!

She's now working at the desk next to me...

Tell her that her volume is harming your productivity and to please keep it down. You're not just allowed, but entitled to it it's keeping you from doing your job. If she doesn't, go to your manager, then to HR.

I work in an open plan office at the moment, but I've never had such a relaxed work environment. Granted, people's phones are ringing quite a lot, but everyone uses indoor voices and when people need to talk to each other, they mostly whisper. Plus the lights are dimmed, the office is soundproof and the carpet dulls the sound of anyone walking. Aspie heaven to be sure, as big offices go. I can never go back.

OMG! Your office designers understands acoustics!

My office, as well as the shiny new co-working space in town seem to have had designers that either don't grasp acoustics or specifically sought out every sound amplifying feature for their "open environment." Wood floors, high ceilings, and smooth surface everywhere.

And the open office fosters collaboration thing is completely bogus. There are studies upon studies that show it inhibits meaningful interaction, increases stress, and reduces productivity.

Last place I would want to be let alone leave me kids. Imho places like these breed instability.

Can anyone relate?

Yes, definitely - particularly when the "conversation" turns to: diet, weight, make-up, hair care, so-and-so (who did what with whom), drinking, returning to any of the above within 10 minutes of already discussing it. I also find certain noises difficult: the lady who sits next to me is actually very pleasant but when I hear her gulping her tea I really have to hold back from smashing her mug.

And the multiple conversations! We're in a small office - we're thankfully a small team - but the 4 conversations going on at once just sound like a cacophony of words amongst the symphony of traffic from the main road.

I've actually had to talk a lot this weekend, so I'm quite mute today - would like to just sit inside my own head for a while. *Singing the Doctor Who theme tune to herself to cope...*

New Threads

Top Bottom