• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No food on buses rule

Cole

I just found out today that the rule about no food on buses does not mean what I thought it did and that it just means no eating on buses and not you can't have food on the bus! I asked my mum if you could take a pizza on a bus because I have been slowly building my suspicions about if you can take food on the bus over the years but I was still surprised when she said yes. It's just weird and why do the signs say 'no food' instead of 'no eating'?
Does anyone else think this is weird and kind of frustrating?

I just found out today that the rule about no food on buses does not mean what I thought it did and that it just means no eating on buses and not you can't have food on the bus! I asked my mum if you could take a pizza on a bus because I have been slowly building my suspicions about if you can take food on the bus over the years but I was still surprised when she said yes. It's just weird and why do the signs say 'no food' instead of 'no eating'?
what it really means is most people won't clean up after themselves I dropped liquid on a bus and told the driver he was relieved and he said barely anybody ever tells him we live in a litigious society if you drop something and somebody slips on it they will sue the bus company when I was a child if we dropped something we cleaned it up, now somebody sue's somebody, never in my mind would I have thought I will sue somebody because there is food on the floor I just thought push it to the side if I can't bend over or clean it up, I've eaten on the bus before but I clean myself and the area before I leave, imagine Friday night people have consumed some things that are intoxicating and their liver can't cope with it bus driver has to clean it or be sued.

But I don't think bus companies are perfect if they do for what ever reason cos someone to suffer their methods are despicable I don't know how bus companies work in other countries but in the UK they use every nasty trick they can probably making up for being sued which is why I think something else needs to be happened that we need to discuss somewhere else so the anal topics can stay anal

We have a saying. "The devil is in the details". In other words, why not look up the formal rules online which are most likely to go into far greater detail than a mere sign. Example. This is pertinent to public transport rules for the southern portion of the South Island of New Zealand:

No eating, drinking or smoking (including electronic cigarettes) is allowed on buses at any time.

Food or drinks may be brought onto the bus provided the items are in a closed container.

What can I take on the bus?

It simply means that you can transport food and drink in proper containers, but that at no time can you consume them inside the bus.

Last edited:
However lots of people consume coffee on public transit (in covered containers of course), particularly in the morning when they are trying to wake up still... ;)

I would have thought the same as you did. And I would not expect to be able to bring a pizza on the bus. And if it's the no eating, then I guess you could bring a hotdog dressed all the way and not wrapped up, but just not eat it. I'm not sure where the line is. Guess it depends on the reason. Stores 'no food or drinks' I'm sure has to do with not wanting spills and sticky hands on the merchandise. Stadiums and coliseums would be - they don't even want you to sneak food in because they want you to buy theirs at an outrageous price.

It's like a sign that says no kids on bus (unless they are going to school). Just proves badly worded signs have the ability to irritate and then you start contemplating all the other mildly irritating crap in life then you come here and post on life's inconsistencies that slap us in the face.

However lots of people consume coffee on public transit (in covered containers of course), particularly in the morning when they are trying to wake up still... ;)

A good example of such rules can vary from one jurisdiction to another.

In Calgary Alberta, it appears one can consume just about anything on public transit as long as they clean up afterwards:

Food & Drink
"If you are going to eat or drink while riding the system, remember to keep it clean and don’t litter."

Etiquette on Transit | Calgary Transit

Here's such rules for my area in Northern Nevada:

"Drinks on board are allowed, but only if they’re in spill-proof containers, like water bottles or travel mugs with lids. Drinks that are NOT permitted include open cans, bottles without caps, and disposable cups with lids and straws."

https://rtcwashoe.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/RTC_ACCESS_RidersGuide_18WEB-1.pdf

Last edited:
A good example of such rules can vary from one jurisdiction to another.

In Calgary Alberta, it appears one can consume just about anything on public transit as long as they clean up afterwards:

Food & Drink
"If you are going to eat or drink while riding the system, remember to keep it clean and don’t litter."

Etiquette on Transit | Calgary Transit

Here's such rules for my area in Northern Nevada:

"Drinks on board are allowed, but only if they’re in spill-proof containers, like water bottles or travel mugs with lids. Drinks that are NOT permitted include open cans, bottles without caps, and disposable cups with lids and straws."

https://rtcwashoe.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/RTC_ACCESS_RidersGuide_18WEB-1.pdf

I rarely take public transit anyway, there is a convenience store next to the nearest train station for me, I have sometimes purchased a coffee to go on the way to the train, covered lid of course... I do always keep a coffee mug in my car as well, but it always stays in the car...

Whoever made a sign that says "No Food on Bus" instead of "No Eating on Bus" is clearly not autistic.

I see people eating in their cars and on buses and subways all the time. In all my years in cities taking buses and subways no one was ever stopped from eating on public transport. All the central bus depots and subway and train stations sell food. It must be different in my country. As it's quite common to do so.

every day people bring their lunches on the bus. just keep it enclosed.

they don't care if you drink a soda or latte or something as long as it's in an enclosed container (i.e. with a lid like a Mcdonalds cup, Starbucks cup, or thermos from home.

And they're usually not too persnickety about snacking either. Just keep it enclosed and don't drop crumbs everywhere.

However- the bus is a really germy and often stinky environment. I don't know if it's exactly a place where folks should ideally snack.

New Threads

Top Bottom