• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nintendo Switch discussion

I dont suppose that game has the option to NOT use that?

From what I understand (from hearing about a play through on a podcast @VenomousAlbino listens to) there is the option to just use a controller instead of the motion controls. He (or someone else) may be able to fill you in more.

@Misery
you can use any controller/controller scheme that the Switch currently uses.
Though the motion controls have the advantage in controlling the direction/degree/tilt of the punches that can't be fully replicated with a stick.
The motion controls work wonders in this game and are precise. (yes the Joycons are using current motion control tech).
xILuaZ8.gif

HFZOJjb.jpg

KFivw3U.jpg

hkYRrzq.jpg

f0StqY2.jpg

As for MHXX

Also @Misery, you can disable motion-controlled aiming in Splatoon 2. When playing the Global Testfire demo, I found it much easier aiming with the stick, although I was playing exclusively in portable mode; it might be less jarring to use motion controls in TV mode.

Also @Misery, you can disable motion-controlled aiming in Splatoon 2. When playing the Global Testfire demo, I found it much easier aiming with the stick, although I was playing exclusively in portable mode; it might be less jarring to use motion controls in TV mode.
I actually found both to be too sensitive to use.
I needed to modify the sensitivity of both sticks and motion controls to play the test fire.
you can modify the controls in the settings menu of Splatoon 1&2

But the idea of playing ARMS without motion controls is mind b boggling

My general hatred of motion controls hasnt ended, but even if it werent for that, I cant use them anyway. Completely wrecks my arm, and that's a level of pain I'm not messing with (nerve/tendon pain, which also always creates a nasty splitting headache, among other issues). Hell, I have to avoid the computer's mouse on some days because of this, and... that's just a freaking mouse. Though even without that, I still just hate the whole idea, always have.

I'll wait on ARMS for some reviews/videos then. Certain Youtubers I watch are likely to buy it and also not use the motion controls if they dont have to, so I'll probably wait and see some content from them on it before making a decision.

Though my purchase of the thing is still two months away anyway. Splatoon is end of July, if I recall correctly.

Well okay it didnt take long to find the video of it being played via non-motion controls. That's right, there was a test fire.

Anyway, the controls as explained and shown in that will do just fine for me. I dont care if they're a little quirky as "normal" controls go. I'm used to much more bizarre setups, considering all the gaming I do where I take a game that's definitely not meant for a controller and force it to use one anyway.

Game as a whole looks pretty darned fun. It's too bad I'm unlikely to get anyone I know to bother with this or Splatoon or MH though. Sigh.

Now it's been out for over a month, what are everyone's impressions? Personally I love it; switching to/from the TV or handheld modes is easy and incredibly fast, the UI is simple and free of clutter, the battery life is more than long enough for extended sessions and that screen - even if it is only 720p - is gorgeous.

As was the case with the Wii and Wii U, the Switch will definitely be the go-to system for multiplayer in our house; I have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on pre-order and also have my eye on Fast RMX, Super Bomberman R, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Jackbox Party Pack 3.

Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania and Super Mario Odyssey are the games I'm most eagerly anticipating this year. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is another one I'm looking forward to and I wouldn't be adversed to Nintendo porting more Wii U games to the Switch in the future. I'm also eager to know when Nintendo plans to launch Virtual Console on the system and whether or not there's any truth behind those ongoing rumours of Gamecube games being included.
My favourite console has always been the GameCube and I'd say it still is but that could be my dislike of change :p so it'd be great to see the old games on it! I do love the compactness of the switch though and it's design. I refer to the Wii U as a fisher price toy now and the switch is like a suave apple product haha

Well okay it didnt take long to find the video of it being played via non-motion controls. That's right, there was a test fire.

Anyway, the controls as explained and shown in that will do just fine for me. I dont care if they're a little quirky as "normal" controls go. I'm used to much more bizarre setups, considering all the gaming I do where I take a game that's definitely not meant for a controller and force it to use one anyway.

Game as a whole looks pretty darned fun. It's too bad I'm unlikely to get anyone I know to bother with this or Splatoon or MH though. Sigh.
Thankfully a few of us on here play both of those games too.
I can confirm that Pro controller is decent.
I was able to nab one for $50.

Though I prefer the Joycons.

Also the Pro controller should be Steam compatible on the next big Steam update. It's being beta tested as we speak.

My favourite console has always been the GameCube and I'd say it still is but that could be my dislike of change :p so it'd be great to see the old games on it! I do love the compactness of the switch though and it's design. I refer to the Wii U as a fisher price toy now and the switch is like a suave apple product haha
You're the first person I've seen say Switch resembles an Apple product.

I mean I've read plenty of people state Switch is uglier than the Wii U.
Though I've read and heard People claim the PS4 is the best looking system to date.

You're the first person I've seen say Switch resembles an Apple product.

I mean I've read plenty of people state Switch is uglier than the Wii U.
Though I've read and heard People claim the PS4 is the best looking system to date.
I pride myself on being the first to say something different :p
I'm so surprised people think it's uglier than the Wii U!!! Who are these people?? Is that on Reddit?

I have a totally different question: Why would anyone bash the thing for what it looks like? It's a machine that doesnt move on it's own. I mean, it's not like a car or something.

I've never understood this sort of thing. Like those people who spend a zillion dollars trying to make their PC look awesome. Mine just looks like the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssee. Which I've probably spelled wrong. But the point is that it functions perfectly fine. It doesnt need to glow blue and spray confetti in the air every time it's turned on.

Honestly, people can be so freaking baffling. But then, in this place, I'm hardly the only one that thinks so, am I...

I pride myself on being the first to say something different :p
I'm so surprised people think it's uglier than the Wii U!!! Who are these people?? Is that on Reddit?
First off the Wii U looks good in black and better than its competitors.

You can find plenty of articles from MetroUk, BBC, WSJ, Engadget, The Verge, IGN, NY Times etc... talking about how it looks like a knock off iPad.
Gaming sites from the criticality important NeoGaf to Reddit to IGN to Amazon to Eurogamer to USGamer talking about how they hate the looks and functionality of Switch.

Switch really irritated the traditional gamers and industry something fierce.

ARMS is a great game and it has been 6 days since I started.

Also OS 3.0 is out and now you can import your 3DS and Wii U friends into your Switch, if they have a Switch.

I wasn't fussed when I played the ARMS Testpunch. I'm glad it's out there and I hope it finds its audience because it's always nice to see a new IP trying something different do well, but it's not my thing.

It's also another good game in an extremely solid first-party lineup. By the time the Switch is a year old we will have had The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Pokkén Tournament DX, Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is a fantastic first year of first-party games.

I have a totally different question: Why would anyone bash the thing for what it looks like? It's a machine that doesnt move on it's own. I mean, it's not like a car or something.

I've never understood this sort of thing. Like those people who spend a zillion dollars trying to make their PC look awesome. Mine just looks like the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssee. Which I've probably spelled wrong. But the point is that it functions perfectly fine. It doesnt need to glow blue and spray confetti in the air every time it's turned on.

Honestly, people can be so freaking baffling. But then, in this place, I'm hardly the only one that thinks so, am I...
Okay now I totally need a computer that sprays confetti! Reminds me of the party cannons from My Little Pony! :3

ARMS is one that I do intend on picking up now that I've seen a good deal of the game being played without motion controls (watched alot of Vinny from Vinesauce playing it).

I'd have bought the bloody thing already if it wasnt for the fact that I have three conventions to go to in one month. And I go to these alone, no price splitting with others. So, a little pricey, even for me.

I think the only problem I'd encounter with ARMS is the fact that as a fighting game, it is mostly for online play. The AI isnt likely to keep me challenged for long, no matter how good it may be. But going online is.... ehhhh. Usually people doing the same tired tactics and things over and over that they saw in some video somewhere, and when it doesnt work, they'll keep doing it anyway because it's all they know. Gets old. Or you get some that do things like non-stop throw attempts. Stuff like that. And matchmaking, wait times, blah blah blah....

But still, it looks like great fun.

I suppose then the only problem I have with the thing overall is the same problem I already knew about which is that I wont have very many games for it. ARMS, Splatoon, and Mario, that's really about it. I havent heard of anything else interesting. Wii U is likely to still get more use due to Mario Maker being on there.

Wii U is likely to still get more use due to Mario Maker being on there.

If the Wii U gamepad wasn't so clunky and uncomfortable to use and worked more than ten feet away from the console (and the 3DS version wasn't so gimped), I would still be playing that game. Switch has none of those problems so if Nintendo only ports one more Wii U game over to Switch, that game needs to be Super Mario Maker.

Well, I finally got to try this thing.

Firstly, the controls: Using it in it's default state is an absolute "not bloody happening". I've used alot of controllers in my time... that's the worst of all of them. Well, almost the worst. There's still the 360 controller and the ancient Intellivision one. Damn thing is nearly unusable to me. I can barely even hold it. And whoever put that right stick in the place it is should be fired and banished to Jupiter.

So I'll have to get an actual controller to play these. Needless to say, motion nonsense also isnt bloody happening.

I'm not even going to bother trying to detatch the side things and use them that way. They'll end up embedded in the wall.

Godawful nightmare controls aside, it's a decent enough machine. Though the portability aspect is completely lost on me, with the hell controls, so that's a minus. An actual controller wouldnt work in that situation.

My brother left the thing with me to try out, and he has Zelda and Mario Kart, so all I've played is Mario Kart. I never could get into that one much.... too random and frustrating.... but it gave me a sense of what the thing is like. As before I dont care about Zelda. After about an hour, I've had my fill of Kart, so the testing is done for now.

I'll probably buy one, though it'll be bloody expensive. Particularly considering the price of that controller. Always these things are expensive. I'm used to using my PS4 controller for absolutely everything except Mario Maker and Splatoon.

As games go, I'm after Arms, Splatoon, and probably that Tetris one. I'm not sure of much else. Even that Mario game... that looks like it could be, uh, rather unfortunate. Reminds me of Sonic '06 from what I've seen, not a good thing, so I'll be waiting on full reviews and playthrough videos before touching that. Normally I love every Mario game, but there's the occaisional exception (like Galaxy, couldnt stand that one). I was considering getting Isaac, but if the thing is unusable in it's portable state, there's really no point. I'd end up just playing it in a spot where I could just use my laptop (and thus the PS4 controller) anyway. ...Besides, there's those unlocks. Just... no. Never again. Ends up being not many games, but... sadly, that's still then the (modern) console I'd have the most games for. Wii U, I have exactly two, and PS4, I have.... probably one? I havent seen the thing in awhile. Honestly I dont know why I even keep it around.

The only thing that bugs me is the same thing that always bugs me with games like these though, which is that getting the full experience requires online play. For the billionth time, I wish advanced AI was here already so I didnt have to deal with anyone online or wait in stupid lobbies. I am very, very glad Nintendo doesnt do voice chat though. That's one festival of asshattery I wont be missing.

Though the portability aspect is completely lost on me, with the hell controls, so that's a minus. An actual controller wouldnt work in that situation.

Pop out the kickstand and use the Pro Controller, innit.

I can't say that I agree with the controls being awful, myself; I've had no issues in portable or docked mode. Each to their own though, I suppose.

New Threads

Top Bottom