• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to the ASD Forum

Lady Lucifer

Rejected Disney Princess
Hello users! I was diagnosed as aspergers ten years ago, when I was about eleven or twelve years old. I am so grateful that I was diagnosed at such a young age or else I would not be where I am today!

That being said I am not a proud aspie. It has caused me a lot of stress and trauma in my life. My life is complicated as not only am I AS, but I also have dyslexia, PTSD because of my ASD, and unilateral anopathalmia. (meaning I am missing one eye) Almost everyone in my family is some form of ASD, but will not admit it as my diagnosis causes "shame" in the family. My parents are also narccisst, so that dosen't help either.

My speacil intrest is abnormal psychology (oddly enough. Psychology is also my major in college at the moment), true crime documentaries, Disney (specifically the princess francise and the villain franchise), metal music, sex psychology, random ted talks and conspiracy theories. I'm good at math (if I have a good teacher) and english (somewhat, I can write but I can't spell or memorize every grammatical rule there is) and my weakest subject is history and philopshy.

Other symptoms of my ASD include:
* mild over stimulation (tunnel vision and hearing loss in mildly loud environments like a car or mall)
* needs constant alone time
* afraid to make social connections
* will openly talk about anything, even if the situation or environment is inappropriate (never teach a christen kid about how the devil is a really good person for example)
* irritability episodes (I'm not the explosive type. Very rarely will I ever explode. Those are usually triggered by a event stacked on top of another)
* depression episodes
* almost literal comprehension
* I like to have things planned out (not everything, but just certain events)
* poor time management skills
* financial trouble
* has strict rules when it comes to romantic/sexual relationships
* hates being touched (sometimes)
* odd phobias
* I need to have my hand held (figuratively) when it comes to learning harder subjects such as higher math (even though I'm decent at math) or goverment (which is a subject I never learned in high school)
* Somewhat advanced vocabulary in casual situations
* Has therapy devices (a certain toy comforts me in stressful situations. He also talks, I talk for him)
* Addictive personality (oddly enough this dosen't include drugs or alcohol)
* Has trouble keeping/maintaining friendships
* Has trouble communicating needs
* Has trouble processing body needs (i.e: when I need to eat, when I need to pee, etc) Not that I am physically unable to tell (though with the eating thing, that may be caused by IBS, which is another condition I have, commonly associated with ASD) but I'll be so wrapped up in something, I'll forget that I have to fulfill that need. I have to tell myself, "Okay, you've been at this gathering for eight hours now, its time to use the bathroom. You have not gone since we left the house."
* Socially tone deaf

Ironically, I am able to pick up on emotions, compared to most people with this condition. (I'm not insulting those with AS. But what I mean to say is that a lot of AS patients aren't able to read emotions that well.) I mean I can't read them perfectly, as I'm prone to making aspie assumptions such as "he really isn't into me at all" when I am looking at a guy I like.

That being said, empathy is still an emotion, I can't entirely grasp. Like I can feel it, but not strongly. (Which is also very common with AS patients) I didn't understand greif or loss until four years ago, where I actually lost not one, not two, but four loved ones in the same year. (2 in which were family members, one was a teacher of mine and another was someone in a internet community I looked up to)

I was in speacil ed from as early as third grade up until high school graduation. I even attended a college for students with learning disabilities, which I hated and ended up moving back home. I'm currently going to school out of state. I love it, but I still have trouble maintaining long term friendships. I'm also home for the summer and I hate it, since I live with my parents and its not an environment where I can easily get to places.

As for why did I join this forum, I've had terrible experiences with others on the spectrum. As mentioned, this is not a condition I am proud to have. However, recently I learned that what I knew about aspergers is outdated information! So I recently watched a bunch of Ted Talks, read more books on the condition, and joined forums like these to teach me more about my condition.

I want to know the positives of being an aspie. I have heard NT (but ASD sensitive) people say "Oh you are talented in this field and you should embrace that." But I never really seen someone really successful, isn't a celebirty, with this condition. I want to know on a personal level from other aspies, what are positives. Thats why I joined this forum.

Thank you for having me and reading my story.
-Lady Lucifer

PS: Sorry for my irregular grammatical and spelling errors and the long post!

Hi Lady Lucifer

welcome to af.png

Welcome!

You are a very intriguing writer. When you write about your deficits, you do so in an extremely self-aware manner. I would describe you as intensely curious, a much better writing ability than you admit; not withstanding proofing and spelling, compelling in your writing style, and at an age that you don't have to be in such a hurry, with respect to your most recent post.

I've never experienced a positive aspect to ASD. I was only recently diagnosed. I still remember being called that "weird kid" in grade school. I still feel like that weird kid. However, with your ability to see life with clarity, with wisdom beyond your years, I think you will force ASD to be a positive in your life. Good luck!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. :)
You are a very intriguing writer. When you write about your deficits, you do so in an extremely self-aware manner. I would describe you as intensely curious, a much better writing ability than you admit; not withstanding proofing and spelling, compelling in your writing style, and at an age that you don't have to be in such a hurry, with respect to your most recent post.
First of all, your username makes me smile. I love cacti. My dorm room is covered with cacti everything; lamps, bed spread, statues, etc. If I was a goddess, one of my symbols would be a cactus, LOL. Second, I appericate the compliment. I've always had a passion for writing! I have written a memoir two years ago about my condition. I'll PM it to you (for those also interested, I'll PM you. I won't post it in this forum, as it connected with the rest of my internet handles, and for this site, I'm trying to be anonymous)

I've never experienced a positive aspect to ASD. I was only recently diagnosed. I still remember being called that "weird kid" in grade school. I still feel like that weird kid. However, with your ability to see life with clarity, with wisdom beyond your years, I think you will force ASD to be a positive in your life. Good luck!
How recent is recent? But I can totally relate. I was a weird kid.

Welcome Lady Lucifer.
I find your writing style interesting also.
* will openly talk about anything, even if the situation or environment is inappropriate (never teach a christen kid about how the devil is a really good person for example)
That, along with your username is different!

Empathy is a big topic around here and a lot of use put our EQ numbers on a post not long ago.
I have difficulty totally understanding the meaning of the subject.
I feel emotions concerning people. But, empathy is complicated for me.

I can't think of anything ASD has been a positive in my life either.
Unless as a young person it kept me out of the problems with the dating and sex scene.
That was something I felt no need for. But, some Aspies do. Can only speak for myself.

I'd be interested in your memoir about this condition. I was only diagnosed about 3 yrs. ago
at age 58. So I'm learning late.
I have not been on any other forums so I wouldn't know you.
Like Cacti? Me too. Born in Arizona. Here's a picture of the Saguaro-Sonoran
photos-of-Saguaros-Sonoran-Desert-Arizona-pictures.jpg
desert I love.

That, along with your username is different!
Thank you, Lucifer (the actual devil, not the cat because that would be weird) has helped me cope with my aspie depression. He is my protector and I use him as my signifier when I do tarot readings on myself.

What I meant by openly, I mean by discuss "touchy" subjects (i.e: sex, religon, etc) with complete strangers out of no where. Of course, there is a certain time and place. For example: I do stand up, and one of my favorite jokes revolves around my weird digestive system, IBS and poop. Now normally poop is a taboo amongst most mainstream comedians (or any conversation really), but I like talking about it becuase it seperates me from Amy Schumar (who is the worst, btw), Wanda Sykes, and Margret Cho. But I won't approach some stranger on the street and say, "'scuse me, care to hear about our lord and savior of metal music?" Not sure if that is a common aspie behavior, but decided to put it down anyway. *shrugs*

Empathy is a big topic around here and a lot of use put our EQ numbers on a post not long ago.
Honestly, I had to look up what EQ meant. Though now I'm curious...

Like Cacti? Me too. Born in Arizona. Here's a picture of the Saguaro-Sonoran
Love cacti, hate dry weather. I wish there was a cactus that grew in humid weather. Though that picture did make me smile. :)

Hello users! I was diagnosed as aspergers ten years ago, when I was about eleven or twelve years old. I am so grateful that I was diagnosed at such a young age or else I would not be where I am today!

That being said I am not a proud aspie. It has caused me a lot of stress and trauma in my life. My life is complicated as not only am I AS, but I also have dyslexia, PTSD because of my ASD, and unilateral anopathalmia. (meaning I am missing one eye) Almost everyone in my family is some form of ASD, but will not admit it as my diagnosis causes "shame" in the family. My parents are also narccisst, so that dosen't help either.

My speacil intrest is abnormal psychology (oddly enough. Psychology is also my major in college at the moment), true crime documentaries, Disney (specifically the princess francise and the villain franchise), metal music, sex psychology, random ted talks and conspiracy theories. I'm good at math (if I have a good teacher) and english (somewhat, I can write but I can't spell or memorize every grammatical rule there is) and my weakest subject is history and philopshy.

* mild over stimulation (tunnel vision and hearing loss in mildly loud environments like a car or mall)
* irritability episodes (I'm not the explosive type. Very rarely will I ever explode. Those are usually triggered by a event stacked on top of another)
* depression episodes
* financial trouble
* odd phobias
* I need to have my hand held (figuratively) when it comes to learning harder subjects such as higher math (even though I'm decent at math) or goverment (which is a subject I never learned in high school)
* Has therapy devices (a certain toy comforts me in stressful situations. He also talks, I talk for him)
* Has trouble processing body needs (i.e: when I need to eat, when I need to pee, etc) Not that I am physically unable to tell (though with the eating thing, that may be caused by IBS, which is another condition I have, commonly associated with ASD) but I'll be so wrapped up in something, I'll forget that I have to fulfill that need. I have to tell myself, "Okay, you've been at this gathering for eight hours now, its time to use the bathroom. You have not gone since we left the house."
* Socially tone deaf

Ironically, I am able to pick up on emotions, compared to most people with this condition. (I'm not insulting those with AS. But what I mean to say is that a lot of AS patients aren't able to read emotions that well.) I mean I can't read them perfectly, as I'm prone to making aspie assumptions such as "he really isn't into me at all" when I am looking at a guy I like.

That being said, empathy is still an emotion, I can't entirely grasp. Like I can feel it, but not strongly. (Which is also very common with AS patients) I didn't understand greif or loss until four years ago, where I actually lost not one, not two, but four loved ones in the same year. (2 in which were family members, one was a teacher of mine and another was someone in a internet community I looked up to)

I was in speacil ed from as early as third grade up until high school graduation. I even attended a college for students with learning disabilities, which I hated and ended up moving back home. I'm currently going to school out of state. I love it, but I still have trouble maintaining long term friendships. I'm also home for the summer and I hate it, since I live with my parents and its not an environment where I can easily get to places.

As for why did I join this forum, I've had terrible experiences with others on the spectrum. As mentioned, this is not a condition I am proud to have. However, recently I learned that what I knew about aspergers is outdated information! So I recently watched a bunch of Ted Talks, read more books on the condition, and joined forums like these to teach me more about my condition.

I want to know the positives of being an aspie. I have heard NT (but ASD sensitive) people say "Oh you are talented in this field and you should embrace that." But I never really seen someone really successful, isn't a celebirty, with this condition. I want to know on a personal level from other aspies, what are positives. Thats why I joined this forum.

-Lady Lucifer

Welcome Lady Lucifer, I'm new here too. My story is very different to yours as I'm 48 and only recently diagnosed. And unlike you, I was over the moon to"find my club" at last!
However, I deeply regret the suffering that not knowing they were Aspie has caused my children. Something akin to PTSD in my opinion and really quite tragic. But saying that, I don't regret their aspiness and I'm proud of the talents it brings them as well as the ability to think outside of the box. Sadly, they are only recently diagnosed (aged 24 and 26) and have yet to fully come to terms with their diagnoses.
Maybe in your case, truly embracing the positives of your ASD, is being strongly hampered by the attitudes of those around you. How can you accept it and move on when you are surrounded by such anti-aspie-ists () that's very difficult for you and very sad. I sincerely hope you find a way and find your peace with the ASD.
As you are still young, and as awareness and acceptance around ASD is really growing at the moment, perhaps you will find ways to be more at ease with it and proud of your diagnosis. There are many videos on YouTube that inspire people too. Good luck with your journey!

* depression episodes
* financial trouble
* odd phobias
* Socially tone deaf

-Lady Lucifer

You got me thinking a lot about approaching things that others approach as instinct, but to us, it's not instinct at all. I am glad you may feel this, too! I think I will post about it. :)

Welcome Lady Lucifer, thanks for an informative and detailed post! I'm sorry to hear that you had bad experiences previously, but I hope you will find that people on the spectrum can be very different and don't let your previous experiences prevent you from enjoying your time on this forum.

I can relate to way too many of the points you listed, except I'm the opposite as far as strongest subjects, since history is my major and math is my weakest, although I seriously considered also doing psychology as my major as it is also so interesting to me. I would also say that forming and maintaining social relationships is my biggest ASD-related struggle, but I am trying to slowly change that about myself, and joined this forum as a small step in that direction :) . I do think that the sometimes getting into awkward situations due to bluntness in speaking is an Aspie trait. I have a tendency to sometimes start talking really fast and in depth on subjects (ranting?) and it makes me feel bad sometimes to subject people to that even if that's how my brain works.

As far as a reason to be proud of being an Aspie, that's a subject I would also like to discuss. One thing I think I can say is that maybe being an Aspie gives you a unique perspective. Sure, you miss a lot of basic social things that NT people all see, but you might see something else that no one else does. I actually study history and people because I think that I am good at seeing connections and analyzing things, and I do thing the fact that I'm an Aspie is part of the reason I am like that. I wouldn't consider myself a success, but I do think plenty of people here are what I would describe as successful even with ASD. Although what I determine as success are things like having a stable job you love and/or being in a long time relationship/marriage, I don't know if that is what you meant.

(though with the eating thing, that may be caused by IBS, which is another condition I have, commonly associated with ASD) but I'll be so wrapped up in something, I'll forget that I have to fulfill that need.
Wow, really? I have that too, but I never had considered that it could be related.

Hi Sloth! Ooh, I like your username too. Sloths are so cute <3

can relate to way too many of the points you listed, except I'm the opposite as far as strongest subjects, since history is my major and math is my weakest, although I seriously considered also doing psychology as my major as it is also so interesting to me.
Great, do you mind tutoring me sometime? LOL

I would also say that forming and maintaining social relationships is my biggest ASD-related struggle, but I am trying to slowly change that about myself, and joined this forum as a small step in that direction
I mean I have friends, but I have to convince myself to get out of my own bubble before I loose them again. That seems to be a pattern. I'm so greatful for who I have now.

I started this new routine, while I'm home for summer, is to have one friendship interaction per week! Meaning, call or text someone about getting together physically and actually doing something. Then the rest of the week I can fullfill all my aspie needs. I only started this new routine last week, but I'll let you know how that has helped. Becuase during the summer at home, I get BORED and sad...and lonely. When I go back to school, i'll try this out as well. Again, I'll let you know how this has helped.

ne thing I think I can say is that maybe being an Aspie gives you a unique perspective. Sure, you miss a lot of basic social things that NT people all see, but you might see something else that no one else does
Interesting, my therapist said the same thing yesterday. My aunt also told me that too. I used to think my POV came from a spiritual force, and nothing neurological. Hm...

I wouldn't consider myself a success, but I do think plenty of people here are what I would describe as successful even with ASD. Although what I determine as success are things like having a stable job you love and/or being in a long time relationship/marriage, I don't know if that is what you meant.
Yeah that is what I meant. Same goes with friendships and their ability to compromise with their disability.

Wow, really? I have that too, but I never had considered that it could be related.
Yeah, I found that out a while ago, shortly after being diagnosed. I started reading a book called "Aspergirls" and there is a whole chapter called "stomach problems." I haven't read it yet, but I'm pretty sure it applies to other stomach conditions. Not just IBS.

New Threads

Top Bottom