• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New study shows no link between autism and gut problems

There are a number of scientific lectures on YouTube as well as research articles to suggest otherwise.

The autism science field is rife with unethical practices and ableist assumptions about the capabilities of autistic people. As far as I'm concerned, they don't deserve the trust they receive.

Also, you don't seem to understand why the DSM got rid of functioning labels, because while autism can present very differently in every individual, that alone is not proof that they should be a stand alone category of diagnoses as functioning labels implied. It only means there are different levels of support an autistic person will require.

The autism science field is rife with unethical practices and ableist assumptions about the capabilities of autistic people. As far as I'm concerned, they don't deserve the trust they receive.

Also, you don't seem to understand why the DSM got rid of functioning labels, because while autism can present very differently in every individual, that alone is not proof that they should be a stand alone category of diagnoses as functioning labels implied. It only means there are different levels of support an autistic person will require.

I think we are talking past each other. I am under the impression that you think you and I are disagreeing here, but I am not sure we are. The field of psychology still uses the labels ASD-1, ASD-2, and ASD-3 referring to the different levels of support an autistic person will require. There is no disagreement with this. I don't use the outdated "functioning labels" in the way you have described above.

The topic of your first comment to me was with regard to my use of the language "variant", which is in reference to known differences in brain morphology, as well as, genetic phenotypes and gene transcription that occurs across the autistic population,...NOT any "ableist assumptions about the capabilities of autistic people." This was never my perspective or context. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom