• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

new special interest?

madisen622

autistic kidcore grandpa
V.I.P Member
i recently found out psychology might be a new special interest of mine. i've found it so fascinating for the longest time, im currently taking a general psychology class at my college and im already two weeks ahead. the textbook: the science of psychology, an appreciative view by laura king is one of my favorite things to read in my spare time now. i've wanted a career as a clinical psychologist since i was in high school, is anyone else here a lover of psychology and brain function? :)

I'm obsessed with the psychology of
sociopaths, serial killers and mass-murderers
, but that might just be my laser-focused version of it.

NO WAY!! me too! i've watched documentaries and movies on them in the past. i've been going back in forth between wanting to work with a psychiatrist in a practice facility or working at a mental health hospital. one of my most loved concepts in psychology is nature vs. nurture so you can imagine how much i love the topic :)

I've actually been wanting to bring that up on here as a special interest to see if anyone else was into the same, but I didn't want to offend anyone with PTSD or sensitivities over the subject matter since a lot of it can be really morbid.

I can binge watch documentaries and YouTube videos on the subject matter like all day long, lol. It's so fascinating to try and figure out where it all went wrong.

Plan on getting a graduate degree of some sort he you want to make a career in the future, my brother has a undergraduate degree in psychology, and spent his career working as a millwright.

FYI. My interests revolve around Natural History. Some people see landscapes and some are beautiful. I see their histories and the forces acting upon them. I especially enjoy contemplating the fact and theory of evolution. In all of this my, special, special interest are trilobites.

I used to be interested in abnormal psychology in like, 10th grade. Does that count?

I think I still have an appreciation for it, since my main passion project focuses on the dysfunctional relationships and mindsets of my characters.

I used to be interested in abnormal psychology in like, 10th grade. Does that count?

I think I still have an appreciation for it, since my main passion project focuses on the dysfunctional relationships and mindsets of my characters.
Interesting. I was fascinated by the dissection of relationships and getting into the mindset of characters in the writings of Henry James.

FYI. My interests revolve around Natural History. Some people see landscapes and some are beautiful. I see their histories and the forces acting upon them. I especially enjoy contemplating the fact and theory of evolution. In all of this my, special, special interest are trilobites.
wow, that's super interesting! i looked up a photo of trilobites and oh my goodness, they're huge! your special interests are super cool thank you for sharing! :)

i would say that counts! dysfunctional relationships and character mindsets sound super neat :)

i recently found out psychology might be a new special interest of mine. i've found it so fascinating for the longest time, im currently taking a general psychology class at my college and im already two weeks ahead. the textbook: the science of psychology, an appreciative view by laura king is one of my favorite things to read in my spare time now. i've wanted a career as a clinical psychologist since i was in high school, is anyone else here a lover of psychology and brain function? :)
Yes and No for me, in terms of if studying psychology is a special interest. I mean, I am obsessed with psychological issues, but not in wanting to study or learn most of that through books and other sources, as that can at times be not just listing facts but generalizing or being too technical, too, and I rarely talk of such issues in a technical or medical way but in a way most could understand. I learn mostly in more practical ways through meticulous study of persons, their actions, inactions, spoken words and behaviors, and by watching their interactions with others, and I did so since age five or so as a protective measure and to learn during all my shyer and introspective years.

However, I do research mental health conditions from time to time too, and I studied the DSM's extensively for most mental health conditions, as I helped numerous persons get disability benefits when they could not work, but I think most of my psychological knowledge comes through analysis of people more naturally, and seeing them as individuals who should be judged based on more personal inspection, digging deeper there and not assuming things on the surface or that they fit into some textbook case or theory, and putting two and two together after being comprehensive and open minded in other ways too, after comparing that to the other basic knowledge I already knew there.

If anything, persons can likely become annoyed at me because I want to analyze all the mentioned too much, and as I want to always figure others out, their intent, and to assist them, if any need, and to see if they are able to be compatible with me or others or not, or to at least possess one or more character traits important to me. I rarely will assume what a person says or shows on the surface to be true, because of a lack of trust with others growing up, but I can usually tell easily if persons mostly will bring mostly good, neutral or bad to the table, or I can determine much of their character, by analyzing what they have done themselves and how they treat others, by looking at their communications, or by their actions and inactions over time--not just assuming things by their words.

I think I am an atypical case here where I was not only around lots of persons with mental health issues, but whereby I could make sense of things more by studying their postures, expressions and mannerisms, and comparing that to their words spoken, actions, inactions and behaviors to see if something did not match there. And then if things did not match, I had to either have a bigger sample size of information from them there, or I would have to take an educated guess what could be true or not from what I saw and/or heard, taking into account my numerous past experiences where I was right more times than not, after future encounters showed that to be the case.

The best psychologists and psychiatrists I feel will have that sixth sense and they will be good at analysis and details, besides having book psychology knowledge. They will be obsessed with finding answers and healing others, more so than obsessed with money, fame or power. They will usually see each and every word, action and inaction as potentially very important in figuring out things, looking for any consistencies and inconsistencies there, but being able to word things in constructive ways too when wrongs are occurring, and not just support, listen or say things patients want to here. I will not be always right in what I say, but those into psychology who can explain their opinions well and seem balanced and open minded, without any bias, as not all cases will be the same, for even those with the same conditions, so I am more trusting of those type of thorough professionals.

Last edited:
Yes and No for me, in terms of if studying psychology is a special interest. I mean, I am obsessed with psychological issues, but not in wanting to study or learn most of that through books and other sources, as that can at times be not just listing facts but generalizing, too, and I rarely talk of such issues in a technical or medical way but in a way most could understand. I learn mostly in more practical ways through meticulous study of persons, their actions, inactions, spoken words and behaviors, and by watching their interactions with others, and I did so since age five or so as a protective measure and to learn during all my shyer and introspective years.

However, I do research mental health conditions from time to time too, and I studied the DSM's extensively for most mental health conditions, as I helped numerous persons get disability benefits when they could not work, but I think most of my psychological knowledge comes through analysis of people more naturally, and seeing them as individuals who should be judged based on more personal inspection, digging deeper there and not assuming things on the surface or that they fit into some textbook case or theory, and putting two and two together after being comprehensive and open minded in other ways too, after comparing that to the other basic knowledge I already knew there.

If anything, persons can likely become annoyed at me because I want to analyze all the mentioned too much, and as I want to always figure others out, their intent, and to assist them, if any need, and to see if they are able to be compatible with me or others or not, or to at least possess one or more character traits important to me. I rarely will assume what a person says or shows on the surface to be true, because of a lack of trust with others growing up, but I can usually tell easily if persons mostly will bring mostly good, neutral or bad to the table, or I can determine much of their character, by analyzing what they have done themselves and how they others, by looking at their communications, or by their actions and inactions over time--not just assuming things by their words.

I think I am an atypical case here where I was not only around lots of persons with mental health issues, but whereby I could make sense of things more by studying their postures, expressions and mannerisms, and comparing that to their words spoken, actions, inactions and behaviors to see if something did not match there. And then if things did not match, I had to either have a bigger sample size of information from them there, or I would have to take an educated guess what could be true or not from what I saw and/or heard, taking into account my numerous past experiences where I was right more times than not, after future encounters showed that to be the case.

The best psychologists and psychiatrists I feel will have that sixth sense and they will be good at analysis and details, besides having book psychology knowledge. They will be obsessed with finding answers and healing others, more so than obsessed with money, fame or power. They will usually see each and every word, action and inaction as potentially very important in figuring out things, looking for any consistencies and inconsistencies there, but being able to word things in constructive ways too when wrongs are occurring, and not just support, listen or say things patients want to here. I will not be always right in what I say, but those into psychology who can explain their opinions well and seem balanced and open minded, without any bias, as not all cases will be the same, for even those with the same conditions, so I am more trusting of those type of thorough professionals.
thank you for sharing your thoughts, i appreciate your perspective on the matter :) i understand, being a great psychologist and psychiatrist doesn't come with not only book knowledge, but rather observing and studying human behaviors. i understand not being able to trust people when meeting their surface features, the more i've interacted out of my comfort zone the more i realize people are complex creatures. im trying to be better about my sense of right and wrong when meeting a person, i used to go off by vibes or energy alone. im learning to give people a chance with not only their energy but the way they express themselves.

New Threads

Top Bottom