• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Medical Terminology and how it affects Aspies

CatsablancaGirl

So I've been researching Asperger's and Autism on the internet and found out that the term Asperger's is going to cease to exist and those with Asperger's will be under the new label of "on the autistic spectrum." I don't know when this is going to happen or if it happened already. I was wondering what you all think and how you feel about it? Are you o.k. with it, are you against it? For me, it simplifies things. I haven't been evaluated since my early childhood years and back then I was diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum. Unless it's possible to escape the autistic spectrum with age (I'm almost 40 now and believed I've escaped it and turned normal for years, contrary to what my Mother keeps telling me, now I'm about to explore this through counseling) then the fact that I was diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum probably gives me the same diagnosis today, even though I've outgrown the behaviors of my childhood because the Autistic spectrum is very broad. So I guess I don't really need to obtain the Asperger's diagnosis.

I am not sure the change has been made yet or not. I myself think it could have an mixed effect. I think it could be a case of trying to simplify a diagnoses, the down side I think there may be a too wider variation to be able to link the two together. as well as that you could end fighting the stigma of Autism. If a normal doctor can not pick it up, how is the general public suppose to. I think there needs to be more education all-round.

I suspect that removing the term "Asperger's Syndrome" and relabelling us as simply being on the autism spectrum has more to do with insurance classification than anything else. We will see ourselves as Aspies for a long time, because it better describes who we are and what challenges we face.

I actually haven't felt any repercussions yet from the relabeling. I mostly continue to refer to myself as "Aspie" because I'm used to it. But I'm also used to the phrase "on the autism spectrum." So . . . I'll get back to you all on this.

CatsablancaGirl: I'm no expert, but I've never heard of autism being a condition one can "outgrow." But your old childhood tics, whatever they were, probably have stopped manifesting as much since you learned how to deal with them.

I agree with you Mocoffee that the relating is in a attempt to simplify paper work than diagnoses.
I think we Aspies will still see our selves as aspies because that is what it is.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom