• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here

Hi and welcome. Sorry you are feeling depressed, that's tough. It's not unusual to get some depression along with being up against coping with some social and communication difficulties associated with autism. It's confusing and can be a worry. It's great that you're here, most of us have probably been up against some of the challenges you are having, not that we can solve them though!

But we can give you ideas and possible strategies and maybe just hearing some sympathetic comments will help too.

Your friends sound like they may be ok, I mean do keep checking out things, but you sound like you have awareness that you can be more sensitive than some, and I would say, if you have been part of the group for a while, that you are an accepted member. As you say, don't overthink things.

Are people at home supportive? Do they understand anything about autism or Aspergers?

:strawberry::greenapple::watermelon::pizza::shavedice::cherries::cookie::grapes::shortcake:

Hi and welcome. Sorry you are feeling depressed, that's tough. It's not unusual to get some depression along with being up against coping with some social and communication difficulties associated with autism. It's confusing and can be a worry. It's great that you're here, most of us have probably been up against some of the challenges you are having, not that we can solve them though!

But we can give you ideas and possible strategies and maybe just hearing some sympathetic comments will help too.

Your friends sound like they may be ok, I mean do keep checking out things, but you sound like you have awareness that you can be more sensitive than some, and I would say, if you have been part of the group for a while, that you are an accepted member. As you say, don't overthink things.

Are people at home supportive? Do they understand anything about autism or Aspergers?

:strawberry::greenapple::watermelon::pizza::shavedice::cherries::cookie::grapes::shortcake:
Thank you luckily my parents are really supportive and helpful and have learnt a lot about aspergers since they found out I have it

I am one of the "old" guys on here. I grew up in an era where there was no such thing as an "autism spectrum", "hyperactivity disorders", "attention deficit disorders", etc. People just "sucked",...well, they still do,...but I am older, wiser, and a bit more tolerant of their behavior now that I understand it better. Just some mental rules that I play by: (1) Neurotypicals are generally uncomfortable with anyone different than themselves,...and some will act it out emotionally, verbally, and even physically. Quietly understand this,...don't tell them this. Protect yourself. (2) Neurotypicals value "standardization" and put forth a lot of energy into policies, procedures, laws, etc. to keep all the rules the same. The downside,...it is the neuro-divergents (many of them autistics) that,...almost without exception, are the innovators and are making the advances in every aspect of the world. It is also the neuro-divergents that are failing in school, in employment, and relationships because they think and operate on a different set of "mental software". Mac OS vs. Microsoft Windows. Having said that,...if you have any special aptitudes or gifts,...exploit them,...make yourself stand out,...you might be the next Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, or Elon Musk. If you can get yourself into an employment situation where innovation is demanded,...Tesla, as one example,...then you might find a team of other neuro-divergents and fit right in. Right now,...it is hard to see yourself 10 years from now,...but all those people in high school and college will be gone and frankly won't matter.

New Threads

Top Bottom