• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here - female 48, just self-diagnosed

Get out of corporate is #1 :)! Then tutor math online as much as I need/want (hubby has his own online gig) and live on a budget in MX (which is much easier than in US) till 59.5 when we can withdraw from 401K without penalty. Money can grow in 401K for 10 yrs... Then get social security whenever we need to (of course don't withdraw until we need the money, so we let SS grow too - unless we know we won't have much longer to live, in which case take money rather earlier than later).

But I guess the main goal is to live the highest quality of life possible - both physically and mentally. Health and a minimalist lifestyle will be our main priorities. We are looking at volunteering, trying to help others, and doing what we can to not harm the planet.

Pretty simple.

Ah, fellow math enthusiast. Tutoring math can be a lot of fun with smart kids who had bad teachers. Often, they just need clear answers to reasonable questions. What a mess, “education” these days.

Once had an inner-city Hispanic student with zero interest in school trying to pass an algebra class so he could play basketball (or something like that, can’t remember the details). All he cared about was sports, girls and being cool. His parents were even less concerned about his grades than he was, somehow.

My God (agnostic but love the expression), he was smart. He learned so fast and got so excited about it. I heard later that he was showing his parents little math problems at home.

Well, his parents decided they didn’t like me, my tutoring or something, not sure what it was (happens a lot). Last I heard (years ago), he was flunking again. Don’t want to know where he is now.

How many children wasted like this?

Once had an inner-city Hispanic student with zero interest in school trying to pass an algebra class so he could play basketball (or something like that, can’t remember the details). All he cared about was sports, girls and being cool. His parents were even less concerned about his grades than he was, somehow.

My God (agnostic but love the expression), he was smart. He learned so fast and got so excited about it. I heard later that he was showing his parents little math problems at home.

Well, his parents decided they didn’t like me, my tutoring or something, not sure what it was (happens a lot). Last I heard (years ago), he was flunking again. Don’t want to know where he is now.

How many children wasted like this?

Yes, breaks one's heart to see so much potential/brain power going to waste, when it could have gone a different way. A lot of it is family driven. Kids cannot escape the construct (the matrix) they are born into. They cannot see or imagine a future beyond it.

I also don't understand the "looking down" at kids that can't do math - there are so many that are gifted in arts, sports, or anything else. Yet in schools the math kids are still viewed as the "best", being respected by all teachers/administrators...

New Threads

Top Bottom