• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New drivers license coding!!!

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
I have to get my license renewed in January and I was just wondering about those "Autism Cards" not liking the idea, knowing others in my area wouldn't probably either...

However, I got a wonderful surprise when I did some digging. Now in the state of Texas (others following and may already be doing also)... There is a clause (a code) in the restrictions. In Texas its T-LETS...

It not only allows for Autism, but any medical disorder that an officer or emergency personnel might need to be aware of. Its a very simple form I downloaded it yesterday and sent it to my doctor (who is very cool).

He sent it back in email and he didn't put Autism and explained why. Here it is seen as more like mental retardation. It just got off on the wrong foot and has a bad stigma that seems to go with it...

So he went with SPD in place of Autism (which is seeming to be a trend?) PTSD, OCD, Panic Disorder.

In the explanation he wrote Patient might seem non-verbal, shaky, or disoriented when in unfamiliar circumstances, startled, or upset...

That explanation is way better than just saying I have ASD, so I'm good with it.

On my license it will only say T-LETS (which is coding for an impairment or disorder) but when they run my vehicle tags or DL the explanation shows up to alert the officer.

Pretty cool and its not just Autism specific...

Of all the things not done for people like us, this is one thing that I feel is a great future help.
Its not embarrassing and not hard to get.

So even for UN-diagnosed Aspies, you can still have panic disorder or whatever you most upsetting situation placed with in T-LETS coding, or whatever your coding will be in your state.

Pretty cool and very simple - just the way I like it.

I found the article here and then punched in the DL101 code and it took me straight to a PDF that I sent to the doctor... How simple was that.

Driver's License Code for Autism? It's in the works!

It not only allows for Autism, but any medical disorder that an officer or emergency personnel might need to be aware of. Its a very simple form I downloaded it yesterday and sent it to my doctor (who is very cool).

He sent it back in email and he didn't put Autism and explained why. Here it is seen as more like mental retardation. It just got off on the wrong foot and has a bad stigma that seems to go with it...

Coming from a medical professional, I'd say this is a significant observation on his part. Just another reason to yield on the side of "need-to-know" basis only when it comes to mentioning you are on the spectrum.

At least locally here in Northern Nevada I know government is attempting to reach out to and educate law enforcement to better understand autism in terms of community relations. Though clearly this issue varies greatly from one legal jurisdiction to another.

I suppose such considerations ultimately depend on our own ability to interact with law enforcement officials while potentially under duress.

I have to get my license renewed in January and I was just wondering about those "Autism Cards" not liking the idea, knowing others in my area wouldn't probably either...

However, I got a wonderful surprise when I did some digging. Now in the state of Texas (others following and may already be doing also)... There is a clause (a code) in the restrictions. In Texas its T-LETS...

So he went with SPD in place of Autism (which is seeming to be a trend?) PTSD, OCD, Panic Disorder.

In the explanation he wrote Patient might seem non-verbal, shaky, or disoriented when in unfamiliar circumstances, startled, or upset...

That explanation is way better than just saying I have ASD, so I'm good with it.

On my license it will only say T-LETS (which is coding for an impairment or disorder) but when they run my vehicle tags or DL the explanation shows up to alert the officer.

Pretty cool and its not just Autism specific...

Of all the things not done for people like us, this is one thing that I feel is a great future help.
Its not embarrassing and not hard to get.

So even for UN-diagnosed Aspies, you can still have panic disorder or whatever you most upsetting situation placed with in T-LETS coding, or whatever your coding will be in your state.

Pretty cool and very simple - just the way I like it.

I found the article here and then punched in the DL101 code and it took me straight to a PDF that I sent to the doctor... How simple was that.

Driver's License Code for Autism? It's in the works!

Very interesting! I do have the Autism Card but I do not think I would ever use it. The way things are going at this time, I do not see a lot of sympathy or understanding for weakness in the world. Everyone is on edge. I don't want anyone to know I have a weakness at this time. If I acted oddly, I would be more likely to say I had a recent head injury that any kind of disorder that a person may consider mental, even though autism is NOT mental, believe me, it is a complicated difference (made complicated by NTs not Auties) and most people just do not understand it.

One thing for sure. If you should be inclined to want to use such a license or card in the US, whatever you do or say, do not have any object whatsoever in your hands, and do not make any sudden gestures or movements. Otherwise it could potentially cost you your life. Imagine being shot or even killed for just trying to show a police officer your card identifying you as being on the spectrum.

No telling what a law enforcement officer might be thinking in a split second while a dispatcher explains a suspect to be autistic. Which could result in anything from a compassionate and caring interaction to being treated like a suspect on "Angel's Dust".

Having such identification that you are autistic is in no way any guarantee you will be treated with care, dignity or respect when it comes to law enforcement. Just too many variables involved.

While I am proud of our local law enforcement in such matters, I know all too well how other law enforcers have very different reactions to suspects in general.

Last edited:
When a police officer runs my drivers license or license plates, he knows that I have a concealed weapons permit. Now if you add in the fact that I am on the spectrum and take into consideration some of the articles about mass murders who supposedly were autistic. I can see a situation where the officer comes back to my car with gun drawn. No thanks. I will just stay secretive about my autism.

That's awesome! Wish they had that in my state. Would make me feel so much safer driving, right now driving gives me a lot of anxiety for fear of being pulled over, ever single encounter I've ever had with law enforcement they think I'm high on something, and I won't be able to explain otherwise one of these times.

That's awesome! Wish they had that in my state. Would make me feel so much safer driving, right now driving gives me a lot of anxiety for fear of being pulled over, ever single encounter I've ever had with law enforcement they think I'm high on something, and I won't be able to explain otherwise one of these times.

As long as you realize that's all relative to the officer's ability to comprehend your autism under specific circumstances. And the potential reality that there's nothing to preclude autistic people from abusing controlled substances. Compounded by the routine cynicism of the average police officer regarding whomever they stop for much of any reason.

That a mere identification card citing you are autistic may mean nothing to them in a brief moment where to them you're just another suspect. In other words, there are no guarantees.

It should be "a step in the right direction", but proceed with great caution.

Last edited:
When a police officer runs my drivers license or license plates, he knows that I have a concealed weapons permit. Now if you add in the fact that I am on the spectrum and take into consideration some of the articles about mass murders who supposedly were autistic. I can see a situation where the officer comes back to my car with gun drawn. No thanks. I will just stay secretive about my autism.
Same situation here. If Metro pulls me over the fact that I have a CCW permit pops up on his computer so he automatically knows that I went through a very extensive background check and the officer is always at ease. I think it helps. Last time I was pulled over for a taillight issue the officer was very polite and we had a friendly conversation about it and everything was cool.

Same situation here. If Metro pulls me over the fact that I have a CCW permit pops up on his computer so he automatically knows that I went through a very extensive background check and the officer is always at ease. I think it helps. Last time I was pulled over for a taillight issue the officer was very polite and we had a friendly conversation about it and everything was cool.

Just wondering. Did he screen you on the computer before he actually left his cruiser, or after he already physically approached you?

Clearly something the police officer in Minnesota who shot and killed Philando Castille did not do. Though it may not have mattered to that officer, who mistook Castille as a recent robbery suspect in the vicinity. (Castille was carrying, informed the officer and had a legal permit to do so.)

They are supposed to put your plate number in their computer in their cruiser before approaching you. In Vegas with or history, yeah, I'm sure that he did, especially since I drive through the hood to get to work at 5 in the morning. Normally they scan your plates before they even pull you over for warrants on the owner. A CCW shows up on the first screen that pulls up on the computer. They definitely want to know what they are getting into before approaching your vehicle.

They are supposed to put your plate number in their computer in their cruiser before approaching you. In Vegas with or history, yeah, I'm sure that he did, especially since I drive through the hood to get to work at 5 in the morning. Normally they scan your plates before they even pull you over for warrants on the owner. A CCW shows up on the first screen that pulls up on the computer. They definitely want to know what they are getting into before approaching your vehicle.

I guess you have to wonder what protocols are adhered to under seemingly benign conditions as opposed to say, had you looked like a suspect they were in pursuit of in the vicinity. Would they have altered procedure, and would they have treated you in such a civil manner?

Of course we'll never know. We only know that such circumstances proved to be fatal for Philando Castille .

Last edited:

What got me on this was... I was stopped not long ago. Its buried in a post somewhere here. I wasn't wearing a seatbelt and I wasn't having a "good day" as it was... I get very nervous to the point of visibly trembling when I'm in "trouble." I could tell the officer picked up on this and I also could tell he was not really sure how to handle it, and he was nice and let me go on after ticketing me, which is fair I broke their stupid law.

But if that had of shown up on T-LETS... He would have already have an explanation instead of 1000 questions... On top of that, IF I know that he knows I might act weird... Most often I'm good and there isn't even a situation. The problem is already handled so I am a lot more at ease.

I think I am trying so hard to act normal in those type situations... It just all goes nuts. I feel it can help in my case, but in other cases it might be harmful... Who knows?

And by the way... Somehow these people who "SUSPECT" all these killers to be Autistic... They need to be factual of what they say, or be sued in a court of law for slander against people like us.... This is where Autism Speaks needs to get off their a** and do something REAL.

You sure cant get by with slamming a minority person like that. So someone needs to start shutting that stuff down and also explaining that there can be many other factors of mental issues that can cause people to go off the rails... Drinking and prescription drugs probably number 1 on the list!

As long as you realize that's all relative to the officer's ability to comprehend your autism under specific circumstances. And the potential reality that there's nothing to preclude autistic people from abusing controlled substances. Compounded by the routine cynicism of the average police officer regarding whomever they stop for much of any reason.

That a mere identification card citing you are autistic may mean nothing to them in a brief moment where to them you're just another suspect. In other words, there are no guarantees.

It should be "a step in the right direction", but proceed with great caution.

I feel T-LETS is a true step in the right direction because it will hopefully get some real training for officers and its not just for Autism... Thats what makes me like it... Its for anything they might need to know to help the communication process. I am hopeful it will be a huge help. I am going for it, hoping I never need it, but its all confidential nothing is on the license itself other then T-LETS notification and thats it... Everything else will come up when they run the license or the plates to a vehicle registered to me.

I guess you have to wonder what protocols are adhered to under seemingly benign conditions as opposed to say, had you looked like a suspect they were in pursuit of in the vicinity. Would they have altered procedure, and would they have treated you in such a civil manner?

Of course we'll never know. We only know that such circumstances proved to be fatal for Philando Castille .
I don't know. I've usually had good luck with cops. A couple of times I have had a cop "cop an attitude" after pulling me over and then calm down seeing how I just explain things and not try to ******** him. Maybe it's my emotionless expression as I talk to him, people say that I am hard to read.

I've been really lucky with driving. Never have gotten a ticket for anything. Only pulled over once for driving a car at night that I couldn't get the dimmer switch to work. It was a company car. I explained nicely to the officer that I didn't know the car had that problem until I was already on the road making an emergency delivery of medication to a nursing home.
Of course I was given the ignorance is no excuse speech but since it was an emergency he would let me go without a ticket and to tell my boss about it.
He called the company while I was pulled over to confirm my authenticity.

I dread to think of ever getting pulled over though.
Let alone getting into an accident.
Due to neuropathy and RA, I can't walk the straight line test or on my toes/heels. And with the current abuse of prescription drugs, oh gee.
Guess I would get the old 72 hour in a psych ward for observation.
But, I constantly wear a medic alert pendant when I go out of the house, with a phone number and member number on the back to show them. It goes to a nationwide 24/7 emergency center that has all medical information about me and what I take legally and why. Hope it will be helpful in the case my worst fears of driving ever happen.

I have not been pulled over in 12 years, maybe because we are driving in different parts of the country.

New Threads

Top Bottom