• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Never masked that much

I’m very good at being a wallflower. I listen but that’s all I do unless pushed. I am good at looking invisible. However, as a younger child I desperately wanted to be accepted and fit in. I would mask and that was extremely exhausting and detrimental.

I do this a little bit for work, but I’m seen more as some sort of eccentric character. Although saying that today has been a bit mixed regarding work. In most parts it was ok, but I let loose an involuntary “eh?” and was mocked by having it repeated a few times.

I have times when I have to mask but I’m not always successful with it. And it’s no wonder that I can become very tired afterwards. For me having ASD makes sense to my world but I wish differences were more acceptable.

Co-workers have trapped you into a social situation and you pretend to be normal by laughing at things that aren't funny and saying things that could just as well be left unsaid.

Indeed. Nothing like projecting the appearance of getting along by laughing at others' jokes...even if they don't seem funny at all. Insincere perhaps, but often pragmatic.

Very basic, generic masking.

New Threads

Top Bottom