• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need advice, OCD shopper

Warshipsfan1

I have a situation I'm embarassed about.

When I get stressed I shop and I buy cardboard packets.

I've gone crazy and got to many, I do use them for art but I've been getting more than is necessary.

I'm finding it hard to let go, I've been trying to reduce the amount I get by only using scrap coins in my pocket, but even then I'm worried.

What's some good stuff to do for this situation?

I have a situation I'm embarassed about.

When I get stressed I shop and I buy cardboard packets.

I've gone crazy and got to many, I do use them for art but I've been getting more than is necessary.

I'm finding it hard to let go, I've been trying to reduce the amount I get by only using scrap coins in my pocket, but even then I'm worried.

i'm sort of like you but then I experienced poverty in childhood so I have that as a feeling every time .
make a list as you are autistic make it with pictures so that when your compulsion begins, your brain will be able to communicate to your visual cortex that you are experiencing A mistake, misfiring neurones in the brain wire themselves based upon certain conditions, because you have a compulsion to buy things ,the neurones have become wired to your emotions instead of to your intellect ,look up on the Internet about neurones, part of compulsion is psychological, start meditating (meditate does not necessarily mean chanting ,it also means to think deeply)this will start to help your brain to change your compulsion, feel the Panic you had when you bought your cardboard covers .

First, I have to know - what are cardboard packets?
Then, are you asking what to do with all the packets or how to stop buying them? If it's stopping buying them - I know it's hard, but avoid the place you go to buy them. I always have to go down the aisle that has contact paper when I go to Walmart. My refrigerator is covered with a copper metal contact paper and it looks like I've got a copper fridge. My fake fireplace (that I made) is covered with marble. My bathroom floor is marble with a couple layers of clear coat over it that everyone thinks looks great. So if they have new paper, I see it and think "what could I cover with that?".

I've always loved to make things out of cardboard. One of my self appointed titles is The King of Cardboard. :D But I also don't know what cardboard packets are (?). I almost always use scavenged/recycled materials which is one of the nice things about it. When my wife buys something I am more interested in the packaging then the contents usually.

I've always loved to make things out of cardboard. One of my self appointed titles is The King of Cardboard. :D But I also don't know what cardboard packets are (?). I almost always use scavenged/recycled materials which is one of the nice things about it. When my wife buys something I am more interested in the packaging then the contents usually.
apparently a cardboard packet is a cardboard box i've never heard it either

apparently a cardboard packet is a cardboard box i've never heard it either

Oh I love those too! I encourage my wife to buy more shoes (like I really have to twist her arm) because shoe boxes are a favorite for storage of my collections. Just the right size and weight. But not the kind with an attached lid that opens like a hinge. Has to have a separate removable lid.

Oh I love those too! I encourage my wife to buy more shoes (like I really have to twist her arm) because shoe boxes are a favorite for storage of my collections. Just the right size and weight. But not the kind with an attached lid that opens like a hinge. Has to have a separate removable lid.
I also like shoeboxes but I don't have any left as I used them for operation Christmas child The rest of my things that inconvenience the cats are put in cardboard boxes ,so the cats can have the space to lie on , i've never had cats that wanted to live outside in the summer but all the cats that are living with me now do, just got another cardboard box today ,will the cat want it .

I also like shoeboxes but I don't have any left as I used them for operation Christmas child The rest of my things that inconvenience the cats are put in cardboard boxes ,so the cats can have the space to lie on , i've never had cats that wanted to live outside in the summer but all the cats that are living with me now do, just got another cardboard box today ,will the cat want it .

When I was young my stray cat had kittens and we brought them inside the basement. One time I was looking for them and heard their mewing but for the life of me couldn't locate them. Finally I pulled out a shoebox without a lid that was pretty tightly crammed in a shelf and there they were inside, all four in a tight rectangular mass. :D

My OCD keeps me purging my possessions to keep my immediate environment orderly. Often leaving me with regret over throwing out that which I should not have done. :oops:

At least with boxes like that you can store things away properly, assuming you actually fill them.

Hi Warshipsfan - I don't know what cardboard packets are either, but apparently you overbuy them due to stress. I'm assuming you have use for a few, at least. You might consider returning them if you have the receipt of can prove you bought them. This answer is too simple. You must have considered this already. To avoid buying more cardboard packets, make yourself a promise not to enter that store. Catch yourself before you commit the crime. I have made impulsive purchases too, and I only regret a few of them. I can be attracted to things I want and find useful, not things I absolutely need. I bought a huge pack of glossy photo paper for a large copy machine. I don't have a copy machine. Impulsive? I think so.

An activity you do because you are stressed is often called a stim, among autistics. Maybe shopping is more of a diversion, but the principle is similar. The best way to stop doing it is to develop an alternate activity that you consider less damaging. For instance, I know an older lady on the spectrum that is constantly knitting. She says if she doesn't knit, she will start picking at her cuticles leaving them all bloody. Knitting gives her something else to do with her hands.

In your case, I'd avoid the stores where you typically buy these packets, or maybe buy another thing that might be more useful. Maybe just window shopping. Shopping compulsion is an OCD habit that can lead to hoarding if you're not careful. Maybe buy a magazine or newspaper you typically enjoy? A toiletry or gourmet food? (noooooooo.... my husband was a compulsive purchaser of spices and completely used up the available storage space and even had a secret hoard in the garage... nix on the gourmet foods!)

The other suggestion is that if this a coping mechanism for stress, try managing stress other ways - better time management, learning to say no, meditation, exercise. It's good to have several of these in your toolbox.

Hi Warshipsfan1. I, too, shop when I'm stressed at times. I buy things I don't need. Used to be craft things, but now more likely to be clothing for myself or my children, or plants for my garden. I panic and think if I just have another pair of track pants for my child who regularly wets himself, maybe I will be less stressed. Sometimes it can help to take stock when doing the washing (so much washing!) and take note of how many pairs he already has. I also try and reward myself for not giving in to the compulsion - I'll 'let' myself do something I enjoy or I might get a treat food for the kids for after school. It is really hard. It wouldn't take much to get financially out of control :-(

Can you do a stocktake of how many cardboard packets you already have to help remind yourself you don't need more? Could you reward yourself for not giving in?

These are great ideas. Can you budget a set amount each month. This amount is $$ for two carboard packages. l shopped due to stress. Now l say you can spend only this because you have big bills to pay.

When I say cardboard packets, I mean packets of A4 cardstock that you use for cardmaking you get 10 for $2.

Can you budget a set amount each month. This amount is $$ for two carboard packages.

I am actually making a habit where I only use left over change and coins I have lying around in my backpack and not using my debit card to buy them. That has reduced the amount I purchase a great deal and I do feel slightly happier with this.

Maybe buy a magazine or newspaper you typically enjoy?

Doing that as well, got a collection of military model magazines (ships, planes etc)

I attached some of the art I make using cardboard, these are drawings and cutouts of playable planes in one of my all time favourite video games ever on this planet "World of Warplanes"

Hope I cleared things up a bit

Attachments

• IMG_20190302_222841.jpg
    IMG_20190302_222841.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
I wish I could enjoy getting a cardboard box but I am always pulled in different directions, should I recycle it ?should I up cycle it ? even if I decide, it still doesn't feel like the right decision , just got to shoe box the other day, another torment.

I wish I could enjoy getting a cardboard box but I am always pulled in different directions, should I recycle it ?should I up cycle it ? even if I decide, it still doesn't feel like the right decision , just got to shoe box the other day, another torment.

Suggestion: Save it for the next Operation Christmas or similiar. In the mean time, with the lid underneath and top open, use it in a drawer as a divider.

First, I have to know - what are cardboard packets?
Then, are you asking what to do with all the packets or how to stop buying them? If it's stopping buying them - I know it's hard, but avoid the place you go to buy them. I always have to go down the aisle that has contact paper when I go to Walmart. My refrigerator is covered with a copper metal contact paper and it looks like I've got a copper fridge. My fake fireplace (that I made) is covered with marble. My bathroom floor is marble with a couple layers of clear coat over it that everyone thinks looks great. So if they have new paper, I see it and think "what could I cover with that?".
When I was in college, one night my roommate couldn't sleep. He went to a 24 hour hardware store and bought a roll of brick contact paper. He spent the rest of the night bricking the telephone (an old fashion table/desk unit). He even aligned all the mortar joints. The next day we bricked the toilet. A lot of people thought the house was a bit weird already, so this fit right in.

I attached some of the art I make using cardboard, these are drawings and cutouts of playable planes in one of my all time favourite video games ever on this planet "World of Warplanes"
That card stock is perfect for papercraft models. There are many websites where you can download templates to make models of just about anything. Instead of just making cutouts of pictures of "World of Warplanes", make some actual 3-d models of them. I have made ships, airplanes, mechs, spacecraft, even the Martian Maggot from Bugs Bunny

When I say cardboard packets, I mean packets of A4 cardstock that you use for cardmaking you get 10 for $2.

I am actually making a habit where I only use left over change and coins I have lying around in my backpack and not using my debit card to buy them. That has reduced the amount I purchase a great deal and I do feel slightly happier with this.

Doing that as well, got a collection of military model magazines (ships, planes etc)

Hope I cleared things up a bit

Wow that's creative! Did you design it from scratch?

If you can make business out of this.. Or give them as gifts to people who love this.. Or make a museum of this..

If you feel bad to let them go, how about taking pictures of them, then let them go?

Do you know anybody who would love to receive these? Maybe as presents to little boys in your neighbourhood?

New Threads

Top Bottom