• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need advice. Help please :)

Separate holidays. Hmmmmmmmm. Now that's something I wouldn't be doing if I had a significant other. Holidays are made for sharing IMO.

I don't do vacations alone. Never thought of me as particularly good company by myself. :confused:

I can't really complain as I'm going with my friend in July. He's been going with his friend for 23 years to the Caribbean.

I'd never go alone. No way! Not brave enough. However some do.

I can't really complain as I'm going with my friend in July. He's been going with his friend for 23 years to the Caribbean.

I'd never go alone. No way! Not brave enough. However some do.

I've never even gone to a restaurant by myself. Just can't imagine sitting there with a book, or gazing at everyone else interacting with others. Too self-conscious I suppose. o_O

Aww that's sweet.

I don't mind, lots of people have separate holidays. It's ok as long as you still go together. He's clearly missing me, so perhaps he won't be in a hurry to go without me next time haha.
I personally think the spouses doing stuff apart too much tempts fate....But if he is missing you a bunch I feel better about it:)....but he still gets no sympathy from me :D I hope he misses you a river full.:cry:

I personally think the spouses doing stuff apart too much tempts fate....But if he is missing you a bunch I feel better about it:)....but he still gets no sympathy from me :D I hope he misses you a river full.:cry:

You can quote me to him too!:D

Sorry! I have been known to have a slightly evil :smilingimp: sense of humor at times but I still am fairly harmless.:innocent:

You can quote me to him too!:D

Sorry! I have been known to have a slightly evil :smilingimp: sense of humor at times but I still am fairly harmless.:innocent:

Hey you're supposed to be making me feel better, not worry. ;-)

He was at a beach party last night when he called. Sounded like a beach party for one haha. Very quiet. In fact no noise at all. He doesn't like people anyway.

Nah he's got me, he doesn't need anyone else. :)

One thing he did say: he'd spit his drink out of his mouth laughing at two larger ladies walking past. Not good, he has no filter at all. The worrying thing is he has no idea how rude it is :-(

One thing he did say: he'd spit his drink out of his mouth laughing at two larger ladies walking past. Not good, he has no filter at all. The worrying thing is he has no idea how rude it is :-(

That's when a "wing man" can come in handy. ;)

Hey you're supposed to be making me feel better, not worry. ;-)

Oky! you are right Lilybell ,you probably have nothing to worry about...:p

Bad Mael!:(

He will probably take you next time just use as a people shield....:p and because he missed you rivers and rivers.:cry:

Well I told him off and said he had to think these things in his head instead of blurting them out.

"Telling him off" might be precisely when he doesn't listen. Too confrontational. Try soft-selling such transgressions...you might be more effective.

"Telling him off" might be precisely when he doesn't listen. Too confrontational. Try soft-selling such transgressions...you might be more effective.

Oops I forgot you'd take that literally.

It was said very softly. Light-hearted and jokey. 'Telling him off' was an exaggerated...oh gosh I don't even know how to explain this one.

Oops I forgot you'd take that literally.

It was said very softly. Light-hearted and jokey. 'Telling him off' was an exaggerated...oh gosh I don't even know how to explain this one.

On our side of the pond when you "tell someone off" it usually means only one thing. ;)

I'm not even sure that comes under sarcasm. I really don't know how to explain that one. It's saying something in a jokey way that isn't meant as its intended meaning.

I can't process incoming sarcasm. Incentive to try to avoid outgoing sarcasm...which I'm capable of. Just shows how complex this all can be for us at times.

But then at any moment Britspeak can be baffling to me as well. :p

I can't process incoming sarcasm. Incentive to try to avoid outgoing sarcasm...which I'm capable of. Just shows how complex this all can be for us at times.

But then at any moment Britspeak can be baffling to me as well. :p

So confusing!! :-(

Britspeak? Haha

I'm not even sure that comes under sarcasm. I really don't know how to explain that one. It's saying something in a jokey way that isn't meant as its intended meaning.

Well, you could always bop him on the back of the head like Jethro Gibbs. But then he isn't kidding when he does that. Just some "tough love" to his "kids". :p

Gotta love this if you're an NCIS fan. :cool:

Well, you could always bop him on the back of the head like Jethro Gibbs. But then he isn't kidding when he does that. Just some "tough love" to his "kids". :p

Haha. Think I'll stick to the soft approach. He does martial arts, so think he'd kick my arse. ;-)

Gotta love this if you're an NCIS fan. :cool:

How do I begin to explain what it is? What can I say that sums it up in a few words without him feeling like he's an alien. Is there a positive way to explain?

A few other things I've noticed:-

In the gym he will pull his top up and stick out his stomach as far as possible. I see people looking, but he is oblivious to it. I laugh and he says things like 'I'm not here to look pretty' very childlike behaviour for a 48 year old.

He buys the same make of clothes. All his t-shirts are one make, his trousers all another, his underwear is all the same company and his work shirts are all from the same place. He said he likes the way they fit.

I noticed yesterday a huge pile of mail unopened.

He likes to wash the dishes a certain way and if I do it I can see he's uncomfortable. He's told me to leave it for him to do. I find this hard as I want to help.

Last night he was talking about some work they have to do soon (he's in IT) he said we will have to work five days solid. I realised he meant 24 hours over five days. When I suggested that would be difficult, he'd need to rest. He said he could do it. His main priority is money. He earns a lot of money but doesn't appear to be very good with money.
It is strange. My boyfriend of 13yrs was diagnosed with aspergers in 2010.

He is similar to your significant other. The clothes and the dishes.

He's a chemist.

And this is why I think I can help. Cuz I was diagnosed recently myself. So, we went several years thinking he was on the spectrum...where I was not, but the fact he was diagnosed should've tipped me off that I likely had a similar diagnosis, as when we decided to move in together he suggested we have separate bedrooms, which I though was a grand idea...because we both had such strict sleeping requirements we were never comfortable sleeping in the same bed, so usually I'd migrate to the floor to sleep when I'd visit him anyway.

Plus, we both need our alone time. We respect each other's privacy and boundaries. We have separate bathrooms. Separate cabinets. Etc.

But he has way more rules than me when it comes to how chores should be done, such as washing the dishes. Nothing I did was right.

This frustrated me for many years.

This is how I learned to communicate certain frustrations to him, as I've come to realize girls on the spectrum are much more expressive and introspective than our male counterparts. So, when there is a relationship based issue, at least for me, I see it as a puzzle in need of solving.

He needs things to be concrete and tangible. I also know he gets hurt if he feels like he's being criticized, though to an observer his response like to come off as insensitive and often pedantic, I recognize this for what it truly is: a coping mechanism. So, what I do is draw and graph it out for him. I explain what I'm showing him is cause and effect. That emotional reactions are actually logic based feedback...and if he begins to observe and analyze them as such, scientifically, he'll find they're actually quite predictable.

I then draw him as a big square (blue) and me as a smaller circle (red). I show him how his square sometimes has the potential to minimize my circle by drawing the two together and giving him perspective of how much he has the potential to overshadow me, as in his mind his views, his perspective and his internal emotional turmoil are dominant, but because his square is so much bigger than my circle, so much more rigid, my little circle's views, perspective and externally expressive emotional turmoil becomes boxed in, submissive and trapped within the rigid corners of his square.

And that the only way the square and circle can exist harmoniously, is if the box allows the circle to shine outside the shadow of the box, by ensuring her views, perspectives and emotional well being are placed on par with his...

...by him "seeing" my circle's needs as important to him as his own.

I then draw the box and circle next to each other. Both about the same size and shape, as equal partners.

This penetrated. It helped him to look at me and my needs in a whole new light, as not just words he seemed incapable of understanding, but as tangible proof of what was required of him.

I have my own quirky nature. I have rules of conduct that used to frustrate him. Like the fact we both have very specific needs when it comes to toilet paper. Luckily, we have separate bathrooms. But what I do that drives him bonkers, is often forget to refill my own supply before it runs out. So, I used to steal his

He'd get so irate!

Now he thinks it's adorably quirky...and understands it's an executive function based impairment I sometimes seem incapable of repairing. And he purchases extra rolls of my favorite toilet paper, and leaves it in his linen closest.

I know he likely seems like he doesn't experience the same emotions you do, but trust me...he likely experiences his own brand of emotions. He just internalizes them. But if you observe him closely, you'll see them for what they really are.

And I've come to the conclusion, Aspie men are extremely loyal and devoted life mates. So, I hope that helps. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom