• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need advice. Help please :)

It is strange. My boyfriend of 13yrs was diagnosed with aspergers in 2010.

He is similar to your significant other. The clothes and the dishes.

He's a chemist.

And this is why I think I can help. Cuz I was diagnosed recently myself. So, we went several years thinking he was on the spectrum...where I was not, but the fact he was diagnosed should've tipped me off that I likely had a similar diagnosis, as when we decided to move in together he suggested we have separate bedrooms, which I though was a grand idea...because we both had such strict sleeping requirements we were never comfortable sleeping in the same bed, so usually I'd migrate to the floor to sleep when I'd visit him anyway.

Plus, we both need our alone time. We respect each other's privacy and boundaries. We have separate bathrooms. Separate cabinets. Etc.

But he has way more rules than me when it comes to how chores should be done, such as washing the dishes. Nothing I did was right.

This frustrated me for many years.

This is how I learned to communicate certain frustrations to him, as I've come to realize girls on the spectrum are much more expressive and introspective than our male counterparts. So, when there is a relationship based issue, at least for me, I see it as a puzzle in need of solving.

He needs things to be concrete and tangible. I also know he gets hurt if he feels like he's being criticized, though to an observer his response like to come off as insensitive and often pedantic, I recognize this for what it truly is: a coping mechanism. So, what I do is draw and graph it out for him. I explain what I'm showing him is cause and effect. That emotional reactions are actually logic based feedback...and if he begins to observe and analyze them as such, scientifically, he'll find they're actually quite predictable.

I then draw him as a big square (blue) and me as a smaller circle (red). I show him how his square sometimes has the potential to minimize my circle by drawing the two together and giving him perspective of how much he has the potential to overshadow me, as in his mind his views, his perspective and his internal emotional turmoil are dominant, but because his square is so much bigger than my circle, so much more rigid, my little circle's views, perspective and externally expressive emotional turmoil becomes boxed in, submissive and trapped within the rigid corners of his square.

And that the only way the square and circle can exist harmoniously, is if the box allows the circle to shine outside the shadow of the box, by ensuring her views, perspectives and emotional well being are placed on par with his...

...by him "seeing" my circle's needs as important to him as his own.

I then draw the box and circle next to each other. Both about the same size and shape, as equal partners.

This penetrated. It helped him to look at me and my needs in a whole new light, as not just words he seemed incapable of understanding, but as tangible proof of what was required of him.

I have my own quirky nature. I have rules of conduct that used to frustrate him. Like the fact we both have very specific needs when it comes to toilet paper. Luckily, we have separate bathrooms. But what I do that drives him bonkers, is often forget to refill my own supply before it runs out. So, I used to steal his

He'd get so irate!

Now he thinks it's adorably quirky...and understands it's an executive function based impairment I sometimes seem incapable of repairing. And he purchases extra rolls of my favorite toilet paper, and leaves it in his linen closest.

I know he likely seems like he doesn't experience the same emotions you do, but trust me...he likely experiences his own brand of emotions. He just internalizes them. But if you observe him closely, you'll see them for what they really are.

And I've come to the conclusion, Aspie men are extremely loyal and devoted life mates. So, I hope that helps. :)

Hey,

Thank you for your advice. Everyone here is so so nice. I'm not sure I understood the square and circle bit, but I'll try.

It's nice to hear you think aspie men are loyal and devoted life mates. I think I can see that. Even though he makes silly decisions sometimes, I doubt he'd ever betray me that way. I just can't see him doing it. I think he'd find it too stressful. Although I do sometimes think he's a little naive.

Its nice to hear from someone in a similar position. I wish I was a little more that way too, then I could relate more. It's very hard accepting the alone time/time out and the routines I guess as he often gets on with his stiff and I often feel I fit in around him. I don't think this necessarily means I'm not important, but it sure does feel like it sometimes. I'm learning more and more everyday and this place has been so so helpful. I think I would have walked away if I hadn't had so much understanding and advice here.

Hey,

Thank you for your advice. Everyone here is so so nice. I'm not sure I understood the square and circle bit, but I'll try.

It's nice to hear you think aspie men are loyal and devoted life mates. I think I can see that. Even though he makes silly decisions sometimes, I doubt he'd ever betray me that way. I just can't see him doing it. I think he'd find it too stressful. Although I do sometimes think he's a little naive.

Its nice to hear from someone in a similar position. I wish I was a little more that way too, then I could relate more. It's very hard accepting the alone time/time out and the routines I guess as he often gets on with his stiff and I often feel I fit in around him. I don't think this necessarily means I'm not important, but it sure does feel like it sometimes. I'm learning more and more everyday and this place has been so so helpful. I think I would have walked away if I hadn't had so much understanding and advice here.

He does care for you.

When I was a little girl, my mom liked to cuddle. She'd ask who wants to cuddle with me while we watch television? And my sister and brother would jump into her lap. While I spreadout on the floor. My mom would then ask me if I didn't love her.

I remember this confused me. I wondered why she felt I needed to cuddle with her to show her my love. I thought of all the times I shared my adventures with her...of how I liked to trek thru the woods...and climb the trees. Or how I'd sit and listen raptly as she told me about her own stories...in whatever form they would take. I remember feeling frustrated
..unsure how to make her understand exactly how much she meant to me...but without needing to cuddle, as I didn't like to be touched.

I was much too young back then to put any of this into proper words she would understand.

But when I was in my early twenties I devoted a full year of therapy to improving my relationship with my mother. It was only then that she began to understand the depth of my love and compassion for her.

Admittedly, it was exhausting for me...to try to relate to her in a way she understood.

I am a girl...and much more empathetic and emotional than Aspie men I've met. But even for me...it is difficult to convey my feelings in a way NTs truly understand that doesn't involve long emails or letters.

So, he is probably trying to show you that he cares, but perhaps not in a way that is easily detected.

He does care for you.

When I was a little girl, my mom liked to cuddle. She'd ask who wants to cuddle with me while we watch television? And my sister and brother would jump into her lap. While I spreadout on the floor. My mom would then ask me if I didn't love her.

I remember this confused me. I wondered why she felt I needed to cuddle with her to show her my love. I thought of all the times I shared my adventures with her...of how I liked to trek thru the woods...and climb the trees. Or how I'd sit and listen raptly as she told me about her own stories...in whatever form they would take. I remember feeling frustrated
..unsure how to make her understand exactly how much she meant to me...but without needing to cuddle, as I didn't like to be touched.

I was much too young back then to put any of this into proper words she would understand.

But when I was in my early twenties I devoted a full year of therapy to improving my relationship with my mother. It was only then that she began to understand the depth of my love and compassion for her.

Admittedly, it was exhausting for me...to try to relate to her in a way she understood.

I am a girl...and much more empathetic and emotional than Aspie men I've met. But even for me...it is difficult to convey my feelings in a way NTs truly understand that doesn't involve long emails or letters.

So, he is probably trying to show you that he cares, but perhaps not in a way that is easily detected.

You sound very loving and caring. I'm sorry your mum felt like she did. I can understand, it's very difficult when you are programmed to think one way.

I know he cares, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like it. I wish I knew what he was thinking sometimes.

What kind of things should I look for? As cooking dinner and taking me to the gym are things people do when they are being kind, but not necessarily in love with someone, if that makes sense.

You sound very loving and caring. I'm sorry your mum felt like she did. I can understand, it's very difficult when you are programmed to think one way.

I know he cares, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like it. I wish I knew what he was thinking sometimes.

What kind of things should I look for? As cooking dinner and taking me to the gym are things people do when they are being kind, but not necessarily in love with someone, if that makes sense.
What people do to be kind, might be what he does to show he cares or loves you.

I don't have that innate antenna that tells me what it means when someone does this or that. So, I've gotten really good at observing people. I found it is better to gauge who a person is by their behavior and actions than the words to describe themselves, as they often seem incongruous or contradictory to me.

If he nobly shares these sorts of things with you...and no one else, then it means he cares about you and these might be ways he shows you he loves you.

He likely will never do the things for you society equates with love unless you tell him straight these are significant to you. He is unlikely to pick up on hints or suggestions.

I understand this might be difficult, but what will seem obvious to you...he likely will be blind to.

Because I am often oblivious to hints and suggestions, I have always told things to my boyfriend straight. And he still sometimes has difficulty if it is something that doesn't make logical sense to him.

Like he didn't start buying flowers for me until a few years back when another man explained the significance of buying women flowers in way he understood. I never asked him for flowers, but suddenly getting a dozen flowers every few weeks was a nice surprise.

Or right now. I'm not feeling well. He just came in my room and offered to pick me up food and lozenges. He does things like that for of his own accord. But when he first started dating...he didn't understand why such things were important, as when he isn't feeling well, he is still self sufficient.

It took him awhile to understand such things aren't about him...but about showing me that he cares in terms that make sense to me, even if they don't necessarily make sense him.

He evolves. Each year he grows in understanding and empathy, as long as I am patient and willing to try to convey things in terms he understands.

We still have our issues. But every relationship has it's ups and downs.

I remember once I asked him what he wanted. He told me he wanted me to know exactly what it was he wanted without ever needing to say a word. I told him that was a silly request and unrealistic.

We saw a couples therapist at one point to help with issues like that one. That actually helped us a great deal.

Tell him even in a apocalypse toothbrushes would still be readily available. Especially in a zombie apocalypse. Those guys never brush.

Seriously, with odd behaviors, fixing isn't always necessary, if it does no harm, but most do require modification. Keeping with the toothbrushes example, I would discuss and explain how most people handle them. Then try an establish a reasonable limit/guideline. Logic is a good intermediate language between NT & AS I think. Compromises maintain fairness and allow each to give a little as well as take.

Tell him even in a apocalypse toothbrushes would still be readily available. Especially in a zombie apocalypse. Those guys never brush.

Seriously, with odd behaviors, fixing isn't always necessary, if it does no harm, but most do require modification. Keeping with the toothbrushes example, I would discuss and explain how most people handle them. Then try an establish a reasonable limit/guideline. Logic is a good intermediate language between NT & AS I think. Compromises maintain fairness and allow each to give a little as well as take.

Yeah I'm not really concerned with the toothbrushes etc.

I'd just like to understand how he thinks more.

God these posts are to long to read. Just remember your not gonna find your problem here.

Not looking for a problem. I was looking for some advice to help me understand and I'm enjoying chatting to all the lovely people on here regardless. I like people and talking :)

What people do to be kind, might be what he does to show he cares or loves you.

I don't have that innate antenna that tells me what it means when someone does this or that. So, I've gotten really good at observing people. I found it is better to gauge who a person is by their behavior and actions than the words to describe themselves, as they often seem incongruous or contradictory to me.

If he nobly shares these sorts of things with you...and no one else, then it means he cares about you and these might be ways he shows you he loves you.

He likely will never do the things for you society equates with love unless you tell him straight these are significant to you. He is unlikely to pick up on hints or suggestions.

I understand this might be difficult, but what will seem obvious to you...he likely will be blind to.

Because I am often oblivious to hints and suggestions, I have always told things to my boyfriend straight. And he still sometimes has difficulty if it is something that doesn't make logical sense to him.

Like he didn't start buying flowers for me until a few years back when another man explained the significance of buying women flowers in way he understood. I never asked him for flowers, but suddenly getting a dozen flowers every few weeks was a nice surprise.

Or right now. I'm not feeling well. He just came in my room and offered to pick me up food and lozenges. He does things like that for of his own accord. But when he first started dating...he didn't understand why such things were important, as when he isn't feeling well, he is still self sufficient.

It took him awhile to understand such things aren't about him...but about showing me that he cares in terms that make sense to me, even if they don't necessarily make sense him.

He evolves. Each year he grows in understanding and empathy, as long as I am patient and willing to try to convey things in terms he understands.

We still have our issues. But every relationship has it's ups and downs.

I remember once I asked him what he wanted. He told me he wanted me to know exactly what it was he wanted without ever needing to say a word. I told him that was a silly request and unrealistic.

We saw a couples therapist at one point to help with issues like that one. That actually helped us a great deal.

Thank you for your advice. :)

Thank you for your advice. :)

Well he's back from his holiday. Seemed very pleased to see me. We had a lovely night. On his way up on the train he said he wanted to talk to me when he got back, so when we were relaxed I asked what it was. He said 'where do you see us going?' I said that is missed him and had been thinking. I asked if he'd missed me? 'No' ok why did you call me so much if you didn't miss me. 'Well I was thinking about you' apparently he thought of me and his youngest daughter but not the other. So I said why are you with me if you didn't even miss me? He said 'because I like you, maybe even l...like you a lot.'

He said you haven't answered my question so I said I'd like to think we'd stay together. What about you? He replied 'I'm thinking' I said well you wanted to talk about it so you must know what you want to say. He said 'why would I? I need to think about what I'm going to say'

So this morning I'm totally confused and feel like he was trying to say he doesn't want to be with me, even though I don't get that impression. So confusing.

Any thoughts?

Well he's back from his holiday. Seemed very pleased to see me. We had a lovely night. On his way up on the train he said he wanted to talk to me when he got back, so when we were relaxed I asked what it was. He said 'where do you see us going?' I said that is missed him and had been thinking. I asked if he'd missed me? 'No' ok why did you call me so much if you didn't miss me. 'Well I was thinking about you' apparently he thought of me and his youngest daughter but not the other. So I said why are you with me if you didn't even miss me? He said 'because I like you, maybe even l...like you a lot.'

He said you haven't answered my question so I said I'd like to think we'd stay together. What about you? He replied 'I'm thinking' I said well you wanted to talk about it so you must know what you want to say. He said 'why would I? I need to think about what I'm going to say'

So this morning I'm totally confused and feel like he was trying to say he doesn't want to be with me, even though I don't get that impression. So confusing.

Any thoughts?
perhaps he couldn't find the words to say? I have that problem a lot

It does sound very confusing for those on the spectrum.

For me the main issues are: allowing that woman to stay and lying about it. I don't think I'll ever understand, especially as he was aware it wouldn't look good. Him not contacting me for four days when usually he is always calling. That I find very weird and his uncomfortableness in showing feelings, although in bed he is completely different. He wraps himself around me, holds my hand and kisses my head. Very affectionate which I love and need. But at any other time he seems a little detached.

On the plus side, of all the men I know he is probably the kindest I've ever met. A deep wonderful kindness. If that makes sense?

You also sound like a lovely person and I think you understand yourself well or at least you come across that way.

For me, I need to feel loved and cared for. That's usually by knowing he's thinking about me if I'm not there, a little text with a heart of sweet emoji. He's very good at this actually. Although sometimes I get a longline of them and I do sometimes wonder if he knows what they mean. I get hearts then faces with steam coming out, fists clenched like they're punching me, another heart and an animal. I find this quite set though. The more I type these messages, the more I can see he tries to show me he cares, I just haven't being seeing it as I'm too focuses on the negatives.

The disappearing is a tough one. Maybe if you explained what was happening rather than just shut down it wouldn't be as hurtful and confusing. This is the biggest problem for me. It's just so hard to understand if you care for someone. Hope that helps a little.

I think you are personalizing his behavior way too much given that he's likely on the spectrum. I used to do this when my friend wouldn't talk for what seemed like a long time until I learned that it wasn't about me at all, just his need for quiet and space. It's best to try and recognize that due to the differences, his perspective uis quite different from yours and you may need to tell him very specifically what you need from him to feel he cares. As others have said- it's highly unlikely that he doesn't care or is being unfaithful.

Ok so I just spoke to him. He says he does want me, but is feeling a little smothered. I asked why. He doesn't know but maybe he's been spending too much time with me. I said I see you two/three times a week. His reply: no it's more than that. It really isn't though, but obviously feels that way to him.

I never ask him where he is, who he's with, where he's been, so I'm not sure why he feels smothered. I guess it comes back to what you said about needing solitude.

Well I will leave him to his holiday and have a think about what I want during that time.
You seem to be way more needy than he can deal with. Also you over-personalize everything he does. That is smothering.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom