• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nature religions

I have always been awed by the natural world and the mechanics of the universe.

Humankind is a part of nature and its cyclic processes. I think many people tend to forget that, living as most do in built-up areas without connection to our natural surroundings - being bricked up against the elements, we tend to lose touch with them.

As humans, we are extremely limited in our physical senses - there is so much going on around us, sights and sounds of which we are absolutely unaware. Discovering that these things exist and how (and why) such natural processes function might be felt to be a spiritual endeavour in and of itself, in that discovery often triggers an inner awakening in the form of knowledge - a kind of euphoria (that eureka moment) that can be said to alter the minds and psyches of those who come into understanding - expanding in comprehension from that point onward.

As scientists, it is possible to explore nature in all its glory and in doing so it does tend to instil a sense of awe (or at the very least, understanding and respect) for all creation.

“An experiment is a question which science poses to Nature, and a measurement is the recording of Nature’s answer.” – Max Planck
For me, I sometimes think that sentient life is the cosmos becoming aware.

I think you have found the ability to meditate through nature. I see myself as spiritual, not religious and have at times experience what you feel, a near pantheistic oneness with the natural world. I have even used hikes as a type of walking meditation of being present in the now.
Indeed, pantheism is a religious doctrine that considers god to be the universe itself, incorporating all elements of the universe.

@Duna I'm kind of a nature worshipper, in a sense.
I'm a pagan and I worship the Deities of Ancient Egypt. I interpret this religion, for myself, as an essentially animistic religion. A pharao is just a tribal shaman with an empire and a big pile of gold.
The deities and myths are metaphors for natural phenomena and human archetypes. Land, water, animals and humans - everything is part of the same world, and the divine can manifest in even a modest and unexpected shape (come one, who else has Gods that are mice, beetles or bricks?)
It's difficult to describe, actually. I just feel that the Egyptian religious concepts give me a "language" to talk with all the non-human parts of the natural world.

In English, I only know specifically Kemetic(=Egyptian ) pagan online communities. There's a great pagan forum I know, PanPagan, but it's in German

I'm a pagan and I worship the Deities of Ancient Egypt. I interpret this religion, for myself, as an essentially animistic religion. A pharao is just a tribal shaman with an empire and a big pile of gold.
The deities and myths are metaphors for natural phenomena and human archetypes. Land, water, animals and humans - everything is part of the same world, and the divine can manifest in even a modest and unexpected shape (come one, who else has Gods that are mice, beetles or bricks?)
It's difficult to describe, actually. I just feel that the Egyptian religious concepts give me a "language" to talk with all the non-human parts of the natural world.

In English, I only know specifically Kemetic(=Egyptian ) pagan online communities. There's a great pagan forum I know, PanPagan, but it's in German

The Åsatru religion is fun for the whole family. :D ;) A good old fashion laid-back pagan religion with good food and good times for heathens. And nature is a big deal in it. There's a Åsatru meeting close to where I live now and then, that's always fun.

Wow, that's interesting. Never thought much about the Egyptian belief system, other than I thought about the Roman or Greek, all very civilized societies in their time.
Thanks for the link, I will look it up (German's no problem)

The Åsatru religion is fun for the whole family. :D ;) A good old fashion laid-back pagan religion with good food and good times for heathens. And nature is a big deal in it.
True, but for some reason it never resonated with me, even though it would be the obvious choice based on my country of birth. And there's just such a small number of actual ancient sources - and I'm a nerd, I just appreciate that we have a huge amount of religious and philosophic literature from Egypt that dates back as far as the 3rd millennium BCE.

The Åsatru religion is fun for the whole family. :D ;) A good old fashion laid-back pagan religion with good food and good times for heathens. And nature is a big deal in it. There's a Åsatru meeting close to where I live now and then, that's always fun.

I've known people who were into Asatru, very cool. Had a lot of fun, until we got arrested because a few were too much into the Germanic thing, and that was while I was living in Germany where anything that can be remotely be connected to 1930-1945 is tabu.

Wow, that's interesting. Never thought much about the Egyptian belief system, other than I thought about the Roman or Greek, all very civilized societies in their time.
Thanks for the link, I will look it up (German's no problem)
Egyptian religion is a lot more subtle and complex than the simplified bits you find on most documentaries or websites. Forget all the pyramids and all the gold: the texts are the real treasure.

PanPagan has a relatively small number of active members, and they are very diverse, but most of them have an affinity for nature. And they are, on the whole, a well-educated bunch of people with lots of knowledge in their respective traditions. I'm sure you can get some interesting ideas and concepts if you check the archive and perhaps start your own thread.

I was never religious, not even a deist. The things of which I can be certain of is that the Cosmos is naturalistic and materialistic. I am not moral, but I am ethical. The closest I come to religion is Buddhism stripped of the superstition.

I have a strong connection with natural plants, especially trees, water, especially rivers, animals, rocks and weather. The divine can be found in all.

New Threads

Top Bottom