• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Natural Homemade Cleaning Products

I hope you find it to be useful/effective.

On stovetop (or, in microwave), mix 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Heat until mixture thickens. Will thicken further, as it cools. Once cooled, apply where needed. Leave on limescale, as long as possible. Wipe clean with a damp cloth. You may find some areas to require scrubbing.
I tried it, it gets rid of the thinner bits but not the caked on, thicker bits. I guess I need something a bit more powerful than lemon juice, or otherwise repeat the process several times to get rid of it.
I don't know how it got there, the toilet bowl is a place that gets cleaned regularly.

I tried it, it gets rid of the thinner bits but not the caked on, thicker bits. I guess I need something a bit more powerful than lemon juice, or otherwise repeat the process several times to get rid of it.
I don't know how it got there, the toilet bowl is a place that gets cleaned regularly.
Some water is just super hard. An old fashioned solution is to use a punice stone. You can find them specifically for the toilet with a long handle.
In the U.S. there is a product called "The works" with uses lye as an ingredient and it works very well. I had to use this stuff in a house that had been closed for 5 years. Talk about "ring around the toilet"!
Maybe there is a similar product in your country? You might need to ask at the d.i.y. store. There is nothing "unnatural" about lye but it isn't gentle!

Some water is just super hard. An old fashioned solution is to use a punice stone. You can find them specifically for the toilet with a long handle.
In the U.S. there is a product called "The works" with uses lye as an ingredient and it works very well. I had to use this stuff in a house that had been closed for 5 years. Talk about "ring around the toilet"!
Maybe there is a similar product in your country? You might need to ask at the d.i.y. store. There is nothing "unnatural" about lye but it isn't gentle!
Lye = caustic soda, yes, I can get that here. I thought it would have to be acidic to disolve the limescale. I'll look for some the next time I go out shopping.

Lye = caustic soda, yes, I can get that here. I thought it would have to be acidic to disolve the limescale. I'll look for some the next time I go out shopping.
YES I second the Pumice Stone! You know, like the kind people use on their feet.

5 gallons of laundry detergent.

This stuff is just FAB! It will get any stain out and towels come out sparkly and fresh.

• 2 bars of soap, grated with a cheese grater or in a food processor.
  • 2 cups of borax
  • 2 cups of washing soda
  • 2 cups of baking soda
  • 5 gallon bucket
  • essential oil (optional)
  1. Fill a big spaghetti pot halfway with water, bring to boil.
  2. Turn off the stove
  3. Immediately stir in all ingredients while the water is still very hot. It'll turn into a gel.
  4. Pour the dissolved soap mixture into the five gallon bucket.
  5. Put the bucket where you would like to store it.
  6. Fill it the rest of the way with warm water, stirring with a big paddle or spoon as your adding more and more water.
  7. I like to add twenty drops of essential oil to my detergent.
  8. Cover it with a lid. The first couple days it will be watery, but it will thicken up with time. It's best to stir it a little before each use, in case it settles.
Use 1 cup (8oz) of detergent per load of laundry

Helpful hints:

Don't get the soap on your skin while you're making it. It's strong stuff, and can cause a rash.

If you're feeling especially lazy, add an extra large bottle of cheap shampoo to the detergent instead of grating bar soap (Like the Dollar Tree Silkience shampoo). I have found this works just as well.

I like this idea. Is there a special type of bar soap that's needed? A lot of laundry soap mixes call for something called Fels-Naptha. Any kind of bar soap?

We've been making our laundry detergent from scratch for a few years and it uses primarily Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds which is crazy expensive. Your recipe makes far more and would likely cost a lot less.

I like this idea. Is there a special type of bar soap that's needed? A lot of laundry soap mixes call for something called Fels Naptha. Any kind of bar soap?

We've been making our laundry detergent from scratch for a few years and it uses primarily Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds which is crazy expensive. Your recipe makes far more and would likely cost a lot less.
I've read that too, but I have never had to use that soap. It's just not necessary. I dunno. Get a couple bars of Palmolive or Ivory or whatever you have lying around. Like I said, even shampoo works. The detergent is very powerful with just that.

This isn't a household cleaning product recipe, but it's a health product recipe. I've been making and using my own homemade toothpaste for close to twenty years now exclusively. I went many years without a single cavity and currently only have one filling in my mouth. I like this recipe because I loathe the aftertaste of store bought tube toothpastes and I think some of the brands actually end up causing bad breath.

Half pint jelly jar or other suitable container

• Fill the container 1/2-3/4 full with baking soda (measurements do not need to be exact).
  • Add a few tablespoons of Dr. Bronner's liquid soap (I use peppermint).
  • Add 5-20 drops of pure natural essential oil (I use peppermint and sometimes a few drops of lemon) if desired.
  • Add a small amount of water and mix. Add more water in very small amounts until it forms a paste consistency. You'll know you've added too much water if water separates later.
  • Dip your toothbrush into the paste and have at it. Brush your tongue as well.
Your mouth will feel wonderfully clean.

could really use something that can remove calcium deposit from inside the rim of the toilet.
Pumice stone.
Just saw I’m repeating what other’s have said.
Lye isn’t good for pipes, & fittings, especially if you are unsure as to their age.

I like using Bon Ami scrub but in small amounts so it doesn’t clog drains.

Last edited:
I'm sorry it didn't work very well. Other's suggestion to use a pumice stone, sounds like a good one. I hope it works and you are able to remove it, completely!

New Threads

Top Bottom