• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My thoughts loop like gifs

D'Andre

As a musician, I'm sometimes kept awake with lines of songs, movie lines, and imaging playing over and over in my head. Sometimes aa my eyes are closed, I see objects moving in loops and its like perfect repetition. Is that an ASD thing?

I dunno but I certainly get that. Sometimes all it takes is to hear a couple of words that could be in a song lyric and my heads off in a loop with that song playing in my head. I sometimes wonder if that's how echolalia works?

I'd be reticent to put something like that into a box. "Loopy" thoughts and images probably appear to a subset of people all across the NT/ND continuum. Whether they are more frequent in ND, I don't know, but one of the best books I've read on not-so-unusual mental phenomena is called Hallucinations, by Oliver Sacks. While you're probably not hallucinating (more like daydreaming? - related thing though), that's not all that's discussed in the book, and it's a fascinating and accessible read. You might really enjoy it - there's all sorts of fascinating things our brains get up to!

I dunno but I certainly get that. Sometimes all it takes is to hear a couple of words that could be in a song lyric and my heads off in a loop with that song playing in my head. I sometimes wonder if that's how echolalia works?

Yeah, that's called an earworm, and it's pretty common in the general population too! Interesting to read about. :)

Does anyone here get echolalia happening / had it in the past?

There's another phenomenon related to earworms - sometimes when you're really tired, you can start to hallucinate music playing or voices speaking, when you hear grey noise like a fan. That happens quite a bit to both people in our household - anyone here had that happen?

Not really the same thing, but there are some albums I have probably listened to over a hundred times, and when I'm listening to them and a song is about to end, the next song automatically starts playing in my head before the previous song is over. I don't think it has anything to do with how my brain works differently. This probably happens to most people if they listen to the same stuff over and over.

Yeah, that's called an earworm, and it's pretty common in the general population too! Interesting to read about. :)

There's another phenomenon related to earworms - sometimes when you're really tired, you can start to hallucinate music playing or voices speaking, when you hear grey noise like a fan. That happens quite a bit to both people in our household - anyone here had that happen?
I sleep by a fan so that could be part of it! Thanks!!

I'd be reticent to put something like that into a box. "Loopy" thoughts and images probably appear to a subset of people all across the NT/ND continuum. Whether they are more frequent in ND, I don't know, but one of the best books I've read on not-so-unusual mental phenomena is called Hallucinations, by Oliver Sacks. While you're probably not hallucinating (more like daydreaming? - related thing though), that's not all that's discussed in the book, and it's a fascinating and accessible read. You might really enjoy it - there's all sorts of fascinating things our brains get up to!
Oh man thanks!!

Yeah, I wonder

Not really the same thing, but there are some albums I have probably listened to over a hundred times, and when I'm listening to them and a song is about to end, the next song automatically starts playing in my head before the previous song is over. I don't think it has anything to do with how my brain works differently. This probably happens to most people if they listen to the same stuff over and over.
Yes!!! Me too. Right key and all

Yes, fans or airconditioners will sometimes start up a musical beat (usually drums) in my head. It can get quite annoying at times.

When l was taking a huge amount of ballet, l would choreograph entire musical numbers with music and ballet moves while l was dreaming my way to sleepland. It was beautiful. I also listen to a series of songs over and over but it's the words first that l am drawn to and the background of the music is the setting. This helps with thoughts that are in conflict. I read recently that our conscious thoughts and our subconscious thoughts sometimes in no way conform, which then creates a underlying anxiety that we can't grasp. So l think gravitate towards songs that are explaining the dichotomy of this sinkhole of thought. So by re-listening to this over and over, it's helping me absorb the contradictory thoughts, and the anxiety.

Ex: a song that says * l will be happier when you are gone,*, because l know that a certain friendship will never go anywhere but on the surface, l continue to hope in that small room in my brain. But my subconscious says, face facts, lol. So l listen to this song and it helps meld the opposing thoughts, and l relieve the stress, and expect less from the friendship.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom