• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Social Security claim was denied

It sounds like you might benefit from working with a job coach who has experience working with neurodiverse individuals.

A job coach is someone who helps you understand the needs and expectations a job (including unwritten rules) before going into a job, and once you are in a job, to be someone who may spend time with you there observing your work and interactions with others to provide feedback and support to both yourself and the employer to sort out any actual or potential concerns or misunderstandings.
I’m working with one right now, but it’s challenging because that person is super busy and has a high caseload.

If you are in the USA, it's a tough thing to actually get accepted as disabled and receive any help. I was declined 3 times (not because of autism). My back was so bad that I literally had to crawl at sometimes for weeks on end and couldn't get any decent help for it, just would get the same old responses from docs, "oh you are too young to have back issues", and so on and so forth. I ended up having to move to a different country and once here I recieved the healthcare I needed within 2 weeks. Thankfully that was an option for me. I now work but only 2 part-time jobs, one pays quite well and the other challenges me and I really enjoy it.

It may take you 3+ times if you are in the USA. Thats just what seems like protocol unless you are absolutely, undeniably disabled.

New Threads

Top Bottom