• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My reishi puppies

The only boletes I have seen that are uniformly chewed on are Suillus luteus. The King Boletes (aka Porcini) I find are rarely infested. They are choice.

I have some Chantrelles that I found in the fridge while I decide what to make. I think some polenta with mascarpone and chantrells would be nice.
Porcini are my favorites ever. There's nothing with that awesome taste in the forest or outside. :yum: But I have little experience with wood shrooms, mushrooms that attach to the wood or trees.

It's always fun to pull the yellow sponge off of the lower side and that smooth surface underneath gets some bright yellow tints if you press onto it.

One that grows on trees sometimes are Oyster Mushrooms. Cream colored with offset stalks and the gills are decurrent (merging with the stalk). Once you recognize them you will not forget. On a hike earlier this year I picked about 2 pounds of them.

In university I enjoyed the course in Mycology and aced it. Once in the dorm a guy I knew who was doing landscaping came to me with a couple of giant puffballs. There was a kitchen for students to use. I whipped up some tempura and a few dipping sauces and made fried puffball for the crowd interested in what I was preparing . . . instant party.

That did not help me socially, but I really enjoyed introducing people to a different mushroom. I think little things like that helped my self confidence around people.

This spring, I plucked a 5 gallon bucket full of oysters - I have about 6 jars of dried oyster mushrooms (they rehydrate perfectly) and another 6 jars of pickled oysters... To say nothing of all the fresh ones we ate!

I'M in oyster mushroom heaven!

(plus, I also grow these :) .)

New Threads

Top Bottom