• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My reason for trying to get independent and on my own...!

granolaturtle

I want to take care of a large bird! They're intelligent, sensitive, and you really have to earn their trust by seeing them as the smart creatures they are (socializing with them, giving then stimulating toys, letting them fly around). I've been doing a lot of research and I know I want to own a bird. I've always wanted one but my parents were super against it.

So when I finally get my drivers license, get a job, and move out, I want to, over time, invest in everything it takes to get a bird and then the bird itself.

I'm also 19 so you can see why I'm so impatient to get a move on with my life already.

As you appear to already know, the big ones can live a long long time and may be very dependent upon you for consistent love and attention. Their intelligence is surprizing and may still be underestimated by science. They can be expensive as you know and vet bills quite large and sudden. I do not recommend getting one with any health or mental issues as your first bird. It is sometimes tempting because you can get them at discount and they will appeal to your care instinct. But from experience I know they are prone to illness and often die very quickly. The biggest problem I have seen concerning other humans is noise. They can object to loud birds. So getting a quiet one will be safer as far as keeping living options open and neighbor relations good. I don't do birds, but my wife and daughter do and I have often had to take care of and ultimately bury too many. Good luck! Maybe your parents will relent. Have you ever shown them videos of amazing birds?

As you appear to already know, the big ones can live a long long time and may be very dependent upon you for consistent love and attention. Their intelligence is surprizing and may still be underestimated by science. They can be expensive as you know and vet bills quite large and sudden. I do not recommend getting one with any health or mental issues as your first bird. It is sometimes tempting because you can get them at discount and they will appeal to your care instinct. But from experience I know they are prone to illness and often die very quickly. The biggest problem I have seen concerning other humans is noise. They can object to loud birds. So getting a quiet one will be safer as far as keeping living options open and neighbor relations good. I don't do birds, but my wife and daughter do and I have often had to take care of and ultimately bury too many. Good luck! Maybe your parents will relent. Have you ever shown them videos of amazing birds?

I've long since realized and accepted that if I want a bird I'll have to get my own place. This bird would be my only pet, because of said need for socialization and stimulation. I think I can work in taking care of a bird into my automatic routine but another pet would probably upset that routine.

I guess there is some truth to the whole "parrot sitting on shoulder" thing then? If they crave human interaction that much that would be an easy way to get it.

I've long since realized and accepted that if I want a bird I'll have to get my own place. This bird would be my only pet, because of said need for socialization and stimulation. I think I can work in taking care of a bird into my automatic routine but another pet would probably upset that routine.

I guess there is some truth to the whole "parrot sitting on shoulder" thing then? If they crave human interaction that much that would be an easy way to get it.

The different breeds vary in how they interact and there is variation among individuals too. Really research the breeds prior. Also the level of affection you give will set a precedent and expectation level with the bird. So like if you are home with the bird a lot and then change to being home much less that is a big change to adjust to (for the bird). I am not sure about birds, but with dogs predictability and routines are very important and reasuring. Perhaps its the same with birds. And yes some do like being physically with you, on your shoulder, burrowed in your clothing or hair. Its a learning process with setting boundries. But if they get used to having an hour a day with you like that its very important to try and make that happen regularly. Its what keeps them mentally happy. That and some like toys, new chewing objects etc. Boredom is bad for a bird. Some like light music left on when you are gone.

I'm also 19 so you can see why I'm so impatient to get a move on with my life already.

Your reasons are noble for wanting to be independent and I know you'll accomplish it if you haven't already judging from the passion I feel from your post ┌( ಠ‿ಠ)┘

I'm super happy though being coddled, looked after & spoiled by my parents so I doubt that I'll be going much further than our mailbox (on a good day) for a while.

New Threads

Top Bottom