• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My mom says that autistic adults don’t have the same rights as non autistic adults.

Swiftykitty

My mom says that Autistic adults don’t have the same rights as non autistic adults . She says they have autistic rights. I don’t believe this my mom has borderline personality disorder so I feel like this is just another way for her to control me . Is it true? If it’s not where can I find proof to show her and prove her wrong ? I’m trying to move out because I can’t take living with her toxicity any more and of course she doesn’t want me to do that and is finding every stupid excuse to prevent Mecum from being able /allowed to do so . I’m 21.

What are "autistic rights"?

Has she shown you anything that describes these "autistic rights"?

It seems to me that the burden of proof is on her.
She is the one with the idea.
She should show proof of the concept.

No I mean proof that autistic adults have equal rights to non autistic adults . Essentially she is saying that they are only slowed to be treated like children and not adults.

Where does she see that written?

If that is what she believes, the burden of proof is
still upon her, to show where that is shown to be the law.

In the US, the only way one's rights can be diminished based on a perception of mental incapacity is through strict due process of law on a purely individual basis, and not merely by one's physical condition or neurological status alone. Not to mention that anyone with a physical and/or mental disability is protected by federal law under the American Disabilities Act of 1990.

Legal Resources - Autism Society

Tell your mother that to the contrary, neither the US Constitution, the US Code, or any state or local law can discriminate against a person solely for being on the spectrum of autism.

And to any state or local legislature that would dare contemplate such a thing would be in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment and its equal protection clause.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Last edited:
Well, it seems your mom's highly in the wrong here and is indeed trying to manipulate you... and judging from that, it seems she's quite Narcissistic and i'm sorry you're having to go through that

If you're able to, see if there's anywhere in your city/town that provides Assisted Living. Typically it's like a Town House or Apartment Complex for people who're Disabled in some form and there's usually someone at the front desk 24/7 in case someone needs a hand with anything so they're never truly alone. I'm looking to doing that potentially soon here myself and hopefully there'll be a subsidy to get some money saved (as I only get so much a month from the Government).

Manipulative people tend to be very self-righteous and delusional. I personally know several who each have his/her own primitive, sociopathic notions about humanity. They often cite the principles of Darwinism as an excuse for their prejudices ("Disabled people should all die because natural selection says so"), and they sincerely believe the world would be a better place if everyone were to embrace their regressive solutions and crackpot theories.

No such thing as autistic rights, or anything that says they have less rights then non autistic people. She can't show you anything that says they are less, because nothing of the sort exists.

Some persons with severe mental incapacity can be limited or institutionalized but that takes a lengthy legal process involving doctors and the court. That is not the case with you. She is probably thinking she has some right to determine limitations, and as a child she had some control over you. But as an adult she has none.

Well in order to be allowed to move out I have to keep my room clean , not loose my car keys , spend quality time with my family and make only a’s and b’s for the whole next semester. So it seems as if I have a lot of obsticles first . And probably if I do manage to accomplish that my mom will probably come up with something else yo get in my way.

Well in order to be allowed to move out I have to keep my room clean , not loose my car keys , spend quality time with my family and make only a’s and b’s for the whole next semester. So it seems as if I have a lot of obsticles first . And probably if I do manage to accomplish that my mom will probably come up with something else yo get in my way.
A potentially sensitive question, but how are your personal finances? Are you still covered under your mother's insurance plans?

I think so . Well my parents say that I can stay in my grandparents old house which is only two minutes away from there’s so wouldn’t have to worry about money so much .

I think so . Well my parents say that I can stay in my grandparents old house which is only two minutes away from there’s so wouldn’t have to worry about money so much .
Well, I say toe the line for now. Pleasing your mother is just a means to an end at this point.

While parents can leverage their control over their children in any number of ways, it doesn't legally diminish any of their civil rights as legal adults.

My mom says that Autistic adults don’t have the same rights as non autistic adults . She says they have autistic rights. I don’t believe this my mom has borderline personality disorder so I feel like this is just another way for her to control me . Is it true? If it’s not where can I find proof to show her and prove her wrong ? I’m trying to move out because I can’t take living with her toxicity any more and of course she doesn’t want me to do that and is finding every stupid excuse to prevent Mecum from being able /allowed to do so . I’m 21.
Well, your Mom is full of it. We have the same inalienable human rights as everyone else. The proof is in the Americans with Disabilities Act. Your mom sounds like she's suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder or Anti-social Personality Disorder so take what she says with a tiny grain of sand.

Your mother can’t force you to stay at home. If you have the financial means you are free to leave at any time because you are an adult. But she does have control over whether or not you can live in your grandparents’ old home.

New Threads

Top Bottom