• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My little game project for anyone interested

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
I have this game idea that takes the elements of Grand Theft Auto's sandbox game play and some of the elements of a fighting game together to form a game called 'Anarchy'.

I'll be working on the games engine as well as the over all plot. I had stumbled upon a neat Python library called Pygame after coming across an e book called "Make your own games with Pygame" (or something like that) and think that this project would be a great learning experience and a great way to show off the fruits of my labor.

I'm already planning out the games major program functions like the classes and modules and how the engine should display all of the elements as well as people interactions and key events that trigger the story line to advance in the game.

So if anyone's interested in helping out or being a part of this project your more than welcome to help out and it much appreciated too :D

The plot revolves and evil and cruel dictator of the not yet named megalopolis, who runs the city with an iron fist. Your character has a grudge against this person and has been awaiting an opportunity to kill of the dictator. The chance comes when he one day holds a brutal fighting tournament, where the champion gets to take on him himself.

You having lived a life on the streets and being involved in the criminal underground as well as a undisputed street fighting champion and legend decide to partake in this tournament to avenge your brother's murder and help the anarchist gang take back the city.

I should probably mention that this game would probably look more like a Nintendo Gameboy Advance game with an overhead type of view. I'm not looking to create a 3D game or anything like that. Maybe the fights should be like the retro Double Dragon games ...

That does seem like a very interesting project your coming up with. Is it also multiplayer compatible where more than one players can play this game?

Thanks and I that sounds actually cool :D I was thinking about the sequels and how to keep the game from becoming too big as well as how the game's engine works. Hmm multi-player coop play and the ability to challenge each other ? I'm still learning programming myself ..

I can't seem to get the hang of program flow control and it doesn't help when I go from one language to another :/ I'd love to see this game ported to the Oh yeah (I can't remember it's name correctly) game console and get it off of the ground. Like how Nintendo launched the Super Mario Bro's game and was popular because of it ...

Do you really think python is really good way to go around game development? While its possible, python isn't really used in that are (besides very basic games). Perhaps it would be worth investigate a video game engine such as unity or source? While they appear complicated if you spend time learning how to use them you can create incredible environments! Though, it really depends on how long you've spent learning programming, as well as game dev. Python libraries might be a good path to take if this is your first game and/or don't have the time for strong 3d modelling.

Actually I was hoping to go for something like the first GTA for the GameBoy Advance and I remembered that I had Pygame libraries installed on my computer :/ I sort of jumped right into C and C ++ programming after getting sort of bored with PERL because I don't think that PERL has program control flow it being a practical extraction and reporting language. I don't quite understand the if's elses ifelse and while control flows yet ... I'm going to look into Unity and Source :D

Oh, for a GBA-styled video game, python would be excellent! Though, I don't have too much experience in game making for python, only general basic databases and document writing. I also do a fair bit of C++ console programming but sadly, I'm not yet good enough to design full fledged desktop applications yet.

I don't quite understand the if's elses ifelse and while control flows yet :D

I'm guessing you've only begun programming? (Judging from that comment)
In all honesty, Unity, Source and other various video game engines would be too intense. I'm actually beginning a project in CryEngine with two of my friends and don't expect it to be finished for the next year or two.

If you need any basic tutorials/lessons to help you grasp the selection tools (if's, cases, if elses, etc) feel free to message me.

Sev

Oh, for a GBA-styled video game, python would be excellent! Though, I don't have too much experience in game making for python, only general basic databases and document writing. I also do a fair bit of C++ console programming but sadly, I'm not yet good enough to design full fledged desktop applications yet.

I'm guessing you've only begun programming? (Judging from that comment)
In all honesty, Unity, Source and other various video game engines would be too intense. I'm actually beginning a project in CryEngine with two of my friends and don't expect it to be finished for the next year or two.

If you need any basic tutorials/lessons to help you grasp the selection tools (if's, cases, if elses, etc) feel free to message me.

Sev

The only real experience I've had with Python is making text based games that really didn't do much, I know how to import libraries and etc in the command line python interpreter like scapy for example. I tried learning Z80 assembly to create GameBoy games but there's issues with getting assemblers and the development enviroment program to work properly in WINE :/ Plus there's the depression I'm dealing with right now.

Thanks, I'm having issues with things like 'if this doesn't equal 1 then do this until it does' and the concept of how it effects variables ...

Doesn't PHP and SQL both work together hand in hand ? Meaning that their both database languages ? :/

PHP isn't a database language. They do work nicely together though. PHP is a basic high level scripting language

PHP isn't a database language. They do work nicely together though. PHP is a basic high level scripting language

Oh yeah, forgot that about PHP lol I should had also mentioned that I'm into modifying old Nintendo ROM's, which is called ROM hacking and so far had changed the level layout of Super Mario World, made the main characters of the first Final Fantasy game all naked and changed the text of many games especially the Pokemon games :)

Oh yeah, forgot that about PHP lol I should had also mentioned that I'm into modifying old Nintendo ROM's, which is called ROM hacking and so far had changed the level layout of Super Mario World, made the main characters of the first Final Fantasy game all naked and changed the text of many games especially the Pokemon games :)

You do know that owning Nintendo ROM images is illegal unless you own the original cartridge or disc right? And even then officially you have to delete within 24 hours? And because it's illegal I doubt the Mods would thank you for discussing it on here.

Just a friendly warning like :D

Why don't you make the game with html5? I've started looking into a html5 game engine called Phaser and I was also thinking about using nw.js for desktops and cordova for the mobile side.

You can learn quite a lot about phaser if you go to the examples section on their website http://phaser.io/

And here is an example from their website http://phaser.io/examples/v2/games/tanks

Here are some links just in case you haven't heard about Apache Cordova or nw.js.

https://cordova.apache.org/

http://nwjs.io/

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom