• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My life clearly rather boring...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I'm doing what I shouldn't be doing and looking through the Instagram feed of a guy/fellow photographer who is clearly leading a very exciting life of chasing all sorts of interesting car events all over the place...

Meantime I'm just here, here where my life isn't very exciting, not getting to photograph anything exciting...

Admittedly, he is a pro working photographer who gets to travel to all these interesting events that I can't even afford to get to...

I just need to get to bed, it is 12:30 AM, late enough, and because I'm getting my mind in trouble for thinking like this... o_O

Yeah although I'm not really into photography I understand what you mean; life is boring and joyless most of the time.

Here's the thing about this: It's entirely up to you. Things dont stay drab and boring on their own (well, outside of a job, I mean).

I had to learn this one the hard way myself. I went through that whole "everything is boring" thing too.

What changed it for me was I started going to conventions, mostly since I wanted to try the whole cosplay thing. But that meant dealing with lots and lots of chaos over the course of a tiring weekend. I cant emphasize the word "chaos" enough.

What the convention experience has taught me is that when I want things to be interesting... I have to go and make them interesting. They wont just get totally amazing and fascinating on their own (usually).

I mention the conventions, but just as an example. Being expensive as all heck, that sort of thing doesnt work for everyone.

But there's so many other options. Just getting OUT every day, ranging as far as you can. More than a few times, when talking about loopy stuff I've seen, I've had people say things like "wow your life is so much more interesting than mine". And indeed, some of those things I've seen are definitely "interesting". Like the time the gas station cashier randomly chucked an auto-drone (as in, it has literally no controls and just flies around at random) into the air. Which left me to chase the thing down and yank it out of the air before it could smack into someone's head. Or there's some of the weird things I've seen outside, like that time when some dude in a cape just pulled a drum set out of nowhere and started banging on it on the side of a road (???). I see weird stuff so often that I dont get surprised very easily now.

But none of this happens because I go to craaaaaaazy places. I just GET OUT EVERY DAY. And not to the same place all the time. Gotta go to different places. Gotta explore.

But also, gotta try new things. If you just stick to doing the same things all the time... yeah, it's gonna get stale. Started getting into board games myself recently. Which has led to some interesting things. Firstly, it meant going out and locating a store that actually sells the bloody things. Second, it meant actually going to that store... a rather strange place, entirely new to me, with a different sort of customer base than most stores. And third, it meant actually having to be in an area that I've not had to go to before. This screwy cluster of buildings and crowded roads. Somewhat near here, but I'd never had to actually go there before. In the process of starting to go over there more, I also discovered some new driving routes.

That's alot of stuff happening JUST from starting on a hobby that involves something as calm as board games! And note the word "starting" there. As I go, there'll be more and more new aspects of it to find. I'm looking to maybe even join a gaming group, for instance. Who knows where that might go.

But this only happened because I was willing to try something new. THAT is what keeps things interesting and what gives you more options.

Alot of us on the spectrum have a very hard time doing this. And oddly, alot of us seem to not NOTICE that we have a hard time doing this. I've now lost count of the amount of times when I hear someone go "But I do PLENTY of things and it's still boring!" and when I learn more, it turns out that... they barely do anything. They THINK they're doing alot of things, but that's because their routine has been so bland for so long. I had that problem myself for the longest time.

Seriously. Just get out there and DO stuff. Stuff that's different. You like photography? Try new types of photos you've never done before. How about those cool photos of ultra-small things people do sometimes? Those are sure neat. Or get another hobby... something to do other than just photography. Or get in the car and drive around at random for no reason... see what you might find.

You'd be surprised, really, at where things can take you. If you let them. You dont have to go to big expensive car shows to get really cool experiences. That's just ONE route that can be taken. There are so many others.

....Also be aware that just because someone else's life LOOKS exciting, doesnt mean it really is. People like to show off the flashy side of things. What you DONT see is the drab stuff. For all you know, that guy's daily life could be extremely dull. Dont fall for everything you see online... PARTICULARLY on social sites or places like Instagram.

Life is what you make of it. My life as it is now isent much either but im gonna change that from next year tho.

I agree with Misery 101 % WELL said

I'm just here, here where my life isn't very exciting, not getting to photograph anything exciting...

Admittedly, he is a pro working photographer who gets to travel to all these interesting events that I can't even afford to get to...

I just need to get to bed, it is 12:30 AM, late enough, and because I'm getting my mind in trouble for thinking like this... o_O
Well you at least recognize you are torturing yourself. My psychotherapist spent about a decade and a half reprimanding me for doing that!

Not being able to afford to do stuff is extremely tedious, I know too well. And the people who go around alleging glibly that money doesn't buy happiness have obviously not noticed how being unable to pay the rent, or the coalman, or unable to do stuff you'd enjoy which costs money, is liable to cause unhappiness.

On the other hand, the Victorians used to regard "exciting" as a bad thing. When I think back upon some of the worst passages of my life, I'm pretty happy that my life is currently empty and undramatic. Any day when nothing bad happens I chalk up as a good day. Maybe I've just given up and resigned myself to a lack of excitement.

But I haven't seen my psychotherapist in about 5½ years, and every day I reprimand myself as fiercely as she used to whenever I catch myself starting another torture session, and although it's about as hard as giving up smoking, I have found it is possible to cut down on the self-torture quite a lot. And surprise surprise, if I desist from torturing myself, the day is less dismal! So maybe my psychotherapist had a point.

Sometimes some excitement can come along, unexpectedly, so here's hoping some may visit you before too long.

Just having a moment of weakness, the danger of social media and I fell for the trap... Had a good sleep feeling better now... Meantime a rather more boring photo from my life, a snowy morning here in Calgary yesterday... I do know it's a matter of perspective, I've often had people think and tell me that my life and what I do is interesting when I think it's rather ordinary...

Street Photo 05.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful pic, thank you so much for sharing. Are we in 35 degrees or you are celsius l believe?

I need less of everything, maybe it's due to getting older. l enjoy my quiet abode and feel so comfortable knowing it's just me in here, though l think about four soft little paws walking around, playing with a cat toy often.

Sherlock, would you consider documenting Calgary street scenes and people to put the excitement back into your photography endeavors? Your work is exceptionally good. If you have ASD traits, you could easily enjoy mapping the city and selecting neighborhoods to document - almost like a "day in the life". I envision a worker getting coffee and a donut on his way to work, kids running to school so as not to be late, and people picking up their mail from a street-side mailbox. You do great work with light and shadow. This would be a long-term project that can be handled as your time and mood allows. Just an idea. Don't lament not being somewhere else. Where you are offers so much. Feel good.

Beautiful pic, thank you so much for sharing. Are we in 35 degrees or you are celsius l believe?

I need less of everything, maybe it's due to getting older. l enjoy my quiet abode and feel so comfortable knowing it's just me in here, though l think about four soft little paws walking around, playing with a cat toy often.

Probably about -5 Celcius yesterday

Sherlock, would you consider documenting Calgary street scenes and people to put the excitement back into your photography endeavors? Your work is exceptionally good. If you have ASD traits, you could easily enjoy mapping the city and selecting neighborhoods to document - almost like a "day in the life". I envision a worker getting coffee and a donut on his way to work, kids running to school so as not to be late, and people picking up their mail from a street-side mailbox. You do great work with light and shadow. This would be a long-term project that can be handled as your time and mood allows. Just an idea. Don't lament not being somewhere else. Where you are offers so much. Feel good.

That is pretty much what I do, in my spare time, not methodically as you suggest, if you look at my photo account...

New Threads

Top Bottom