• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My life-changing autism diagnosis - tomorrow on BBC World Service

Aeolienne

My life-changing autism diagnosis

As a woman with autism you're likely to receive a diagnosis much later in life than if you are a man with the condition. Why is that and what impact does a late diagnosis have? Kim Chakanetsa is joined by two autistic women who are speaking up about their experience of the condition and seeking to help others.

Morénike Giwa Onaiwu is part of the Autism Women's Network in US. She says many of her early symptoms of autism were dismissed or ignored because she is Black and explains how autism can amplify stereotypes around Black women.

Sara Gibbs is a British comedy writer and autistic. Labelled as a cry baby, scaredy cat and spoiled brat – she finally got a diagnosis in her thirties. She has written a book, Drama Queen, about trying to fit into a world that has often tried to reject her, and says that being on the spectrum doesn't have to be a barrier to a happy life full of love, laughter and success.

The Conversation

9781472274342.jpg

D20292F8-5D49-48C7-A369-E7017EB782D0.jpeg
5B255D00-CAF3-4619-B22B-D38EEAA31804.jpeg

I just finished listening. It’s about 27 minutes long.
Morénike Giwa Onaiwu and Sara Givbs are writers and excellent speakers, & I will add, seem to be skilled at presentations. I appreciated their descriptions of how it felt to be diagnosed with autism as adults. I liked how the positives and negatives of their characteristics were touched on equally, and how they projected a realistic but positive attitude. I would’ve liked a little more discussion about challenges they deal with, but I’m glad I listened.

Last edited:
Anybody got a link? My shortwave radio has been broken down for months and I would like to hear it.

This show will be broadcast one last time on shortwave, at 00:32 GMT/UTC on Saturday 19 June. For Americans, that's Friday 18 June from 4:32pm Pacific to 7:32pm Eastern. (Four time zones in the mainland US.) At that time the only operational English language BBCWS transmitters are Oman on 5945 khz and Armenia on 5890. Armenia is probably the best bet at that time for the US. I will try to listen then, then if I can't hear it I'll download it.

This show will be broadcast one last time on shortwave, at 00:32 GMT/UTC on Saturday 19 June. For Americans, that's Friday 18 June from 4:32pm Pacific to 7:32pm Eastern. (Four time zones in the mainland US.) At that time the only operational English language BBCWS transmitters are Oman on 5945 khz and Armenia on 5890. Armenia is probably the best bet at that time for the US. I will try to listen then, then if I can't hear it I'll download it.
Sweet--
I have a 1937 Sparton tombstone radio, excellent and rare little set, which has been perpetually "deaf" to any signals, and a 1933 Sears Silvertone upright that doesn't tune up that far and is also broken, so no shortwave for me right now. Hearing over the Internet worked well--but good luck with getting it over the air.

Sweet--
I have a 1937 Sparton tombstone radio, excellent and rare little set, which has been perpetually "deaf" to any signals, and a 1933 Sears Silvertone upright that doesn't tune up that far and is also broken, so no shortwave for me right now. Hearing over the Internet worked well--but good luck with getting it over the air.

I'm a ham radio operator, so I have much better radios. My go to radio for shortwave listening is a Yaesu FRG-7000 made at the end of the 1970s. (I have a transceiver, a Yaesu FT-950 made in 2010, for active hamming.) You should know that the shortwave bands on those old 1930s tabletop tube sets was more of a marketing gimmick than real SW capability. I'm also into those old tube radios. The SW bands on the big floor radios intended for the living room were slightly better, but not by much. Serious SW listeners bought big metal receivers, with Hallicrafters marketing its radios to non-hams interested in hardcore SW listening.

New Threads

Top Bottom