• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My first date went with an Aspie!

He broke up with you? Uh... But you weren't his girlfriend, so technically he can't break up with you. I can't believe you didn't point that out to him, along with this:

Hahaha! Well, I was his girlfriend! It was just for a short period of time. I am not sure why you didn't get this? I thought I described that in my post. if I didn't, I am clarifying that now.

I see where you are confused, though! I clarified in my post with A01! Hope that helps!

But if you're trying to be a jerk then I am not sure what to say? It kind of seems like you are, but I could be wrong. I don't know your tone. :O

Last edited:
In your original posting, you said yourself that John explicitly told you he had a girlfriend. If it wasn't official, he would've just said dating other people and/or not committed to anyone. He didn't mention anything about an open relationship either, and if you didn't ask about commitment or being open, you can definitely assume closed and committed.

Then, you go on later to say that he "broke up with you." Maybe he "broke up" with you because you were coming on too strong and interfering when he already had a girlfriend. The timing and the cards didn't work out. Nothing wrong with that. There are other people similar enough to "John" or different in another cool way in this world that can be for you possibly.

I do think you should take a few days breather at least, maybe a few weeks. Consider talking with a counselor about it even if you only meet them like 5 times. Afterwards, I think you should talk with John 1-1 in-person in a public place where everyone can see both of you, but if someone comes up to you, just ask them for some private time for personal conversation. Tell him your intentions of the conversation beforehand so that he understands and doesn't think you are trying to do something underhanded (such as I would like to be as honest with you as I can about my prior feelings. When is a good time? etc.) In this conversation, you should be honest about your feelings about your sister to him, and that if his situation ever changes and you are still single, that you hope he will consider you. Then, maybe consider asking for platonic friendship. If you can't deal with being only platonic, then just be cordial when you see him in-person and move on. I stress "platonic" because maybe it's more in the lgbt world then when you say "friendship" that it could imply "friends with benefits". I get the feeling he would be open to such conversation since he could be so open with you.

Again, I want to stay away from assumptions. So, I don't really want to say he broke up with me because I came on too strong. Mostly because I wasn't really coming on strong. I was trying to sort things out because it was confusing.

A one on one conversation is a good idea. I am just hoping we can get to the point where that can happen.

In the mean time I can't put words in his mouth. I have no idea how he feels. I have to ask and see. You all have good points! Maybe he really doesn't have any feelings for me! But I can't decide that for him, though. He has to decide.

And if he does decide, then I'll move on. My main concern is that friendship might be out of the window because the situation is so bad.

Again, I want to stay away from assumptions. So, I don't really want to say he broke up with me because I came on too strong. Mostly because I wasn't really coming on strong. I was trying to sort things out because it was confusing.

A one on one conversation is a good idea. I am just hoping we can get to the point where that can happen.

In the mean time I can't put words in his mouth. I have no idea how he feels. I have to ask and see. You all have good points! Maybe he really doesn't have any feelings for me! But I can't decide that for him, though. He has to decide.

And if he does decide, then I'll move on. My main concern is that friendship might be out of the window because the situation is so bad.

Be careful with assuming, yes, but also be careful with not assuming sometimes too!
You say he "has to" decide.

However, he doesn't have to "decide" anything as that is an assumption that he needs to 'decide'.
He can continue with his girlfriend and he may not feel any obligation to say anything.

Maybe there's more context that is not being explained well, that is possible.
Based on what you've said though, in my opinion, you've come on too strong to John. It might not have made a difference, and I definitely do it from time to time too.

There are some things you may want to "assume" so that you can move on. If the ball is in someone else's court, you can keep your door open but don't wait for that person. We all like to resolve things even if we can't, and certainly in such scenarios, it can be good to assume in a way that will help us move on.

Hahaha! Well, I was his girlfriend! It was just for a short period of time. I am not sure why you didn't get this? I thought I described that in my post. if I didn't, I am clarifying that now.

I see where you are confused, though! I clarified in my post with A01! Hope that helps!

But if you're trying to be a jerk then I am not sure what to say? It kind of seems like you are, but I could be wrong. I don't know your tone. :O

He said he had a girlfriend. I would never say something like that to my second girlfriend, if I had 2 of them. Hence the confusion.

I am a jerk. Totally. Made you laugh, though.

It took 2 years.

My husband chased me for 2 years before I agreed that a relationship could be mutually beneficial. There were ups and downs and he came on way too strong at one point. But he made himself useful, fixed my plumbing and gave me lifts to work. I agreed to enter into a romantic relationship with him and it took another 6 years for me to feel affectionately toward him

We are attracted to convenience, we have very short memories and we need freedom. But we also like attention and like other people making an effort so that we don't have to.

So I say, go for it. Don't give up. Give him a month or so of space then launch your next campaign.

You've had the sense to educate yourself, that gives you an edge on the competition. If you can convince him that your relationship would be mutually beneficial (and your freaky sister isn't part of the deal...) then he is yours. So I say, make a plan and go get 'im.

New Threads

Top Bottom