• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My city is boring! Or at least my first reaction...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I stopped by a local coffee shop and one of the books for customers to read was the "Humans of New York" photo book (I don't live in New York)

As a street photographer I decided to look through it as I had a coffee, as I am well aware of this photo project

First reaction? Amazing photos, and yeah, where I live good luck even finding people like that, plus not all of the photos fit what I thought the project is about, and there are some interesting people here but they aren't all that numerous, admittedly our population numbers aren't even close either, at about 1.3 million people...

Also our number of downtown areas is rather small in comparison... That word comparison, which I know is a terrible word to use... Best approach? What can I learn from the book, the photographs, the quotes, even the approach to the photography... And how can I apply that to my much smaller (perhaps less interesting?) world...

One photo and quote really caught my attention toward the end of the book helped me to perhaps put it all in perspective (cell phone photo), in particular the self pity part, something I often struggle with... And still not famous, unlike the author/photographer of this book...

Humans of New York 01.jpg

Last edited:
Meantime as I headed home from the coffee shop, one photo I took, is it good enough? What can I learn...

Street Photo 12.jpg

I would not want to live in New York.
Boring and small is better. Of course, that is just a matter of opinion.
And I like your small -town photo better than the guy with a big cigar. :rolleyes:

Crop it.
nY56Svg.jpg

This forces attention onto the subjects and prevents environmental distractions as much as possible. Now we can really engross ourselves in what they're doing...which appears to be negotiating divorce proceedings before going into court.

Let's be honest: these people are boring. They blend into the background. They are doing the same thing everyone else is doing. In a situation like this your better off grabbing a wide view of the location - not focusing on subjects but making the whole scene the subject.

That dude chompin' that stogie is boring too, just some guy on the street. Except the way it's been framed and his expression act like a funnel into his tiny chunk of the bigger world around him. It's captivating because we feel as though we're sharing the moment with him, which makes us try to figure out what he's thinking, etc.

Versus little red riding hood and denim dan above...I don't care what they're doing.

I would not want to live in New York.
Boring and small is better. Of course, that is just a matter of opinion.
And I like your small -town photo better than the guy with a big cigar. :rolleyes:

But my photos are so boring, because my life is so dull... Because of where I live... Or maybe I will be fine and just need to reflect more on what makes my life good...

Crop it.
nY56Svg.jpg

This forces attention onto the subjects and prevents environmental distractions as much as possible. Now we can really engross ourselves in what they're doing...which appears to be negotiating divorce proceedings before going into court.

Let's be honest: these people are boring. They blend into the background. They are doing the same thing everyone else is doing. In a situation like this your better off grabbing a wide view of the location - not focusing on subjects but making the whole scene the subject.

That dude chompin' that stogie is boring too, just some guy on the street. Except the way it's been framed and his expression act like a funnel into his tiny chunk of the bigger world around him. It's captivating because we feel as though we're sharing the moment with him, which makes us try to figure out what he's thinking, etc.

Versus little red riding hood and denim dan above...I don't care what they're doing.

I never said it was a good photo, did I? :cool:

But my photos are so boring, because my life is so dull.
Maybe it's just too familiar. To me, your photos are interesting as they reflect something very different than my usual day to day. Just like your life seems pretty interesting, because to me, it is new and different.

Maybe it's just too familiar. To me, your photos are interesting as they reflect something very different than my usual day to day. Just like your life seems pretty interesting, because to me, it is new and different.

I have often contemplated this, because I don't live in the most ideal city for my favourite kind of urban photography, mostly a relatively low population... Ultimately more people equals more photo opportunities, simply the numbers game... There is also a fairly conservative culture here, unlike what NYC is like...

This isn't my living anyway, just a hobby... For what that's worth

I have often contemplated this, because I don't live in the most ideal city for my favourite kind of urban photography, mostly a relatively low population... Ultimately more people equals more photo opportunities, simply the numbers game... And this isn't my living anyway, just a hobby...
Are you a traveller? Do you have the means and fortitude to travel and photograph? Those two hobbies pair pretty well.

Are you a traveller? Do you have the means and fortitude to travel and photograph? Those two hobbies pair pretty well.

Any person can be a tourist for one week, more to the point, Brandon Stanton has the upper hand because he lives in NYC where all the excitement is

And I don't exactly have the money for a trip like that right now anyway

But my photos are so boring, because my life is so dull... Because of where I live...
This has nothing to do with it. I mean, if you're in a self-loathing mood and want to enjoy it for a while, I totally get that. But there's interesting crap everywhere.

Besides, if you took a trip you wouldn't know the area enough to sniff out the best opportunities.

I don't live in the most ideal city for my favourite kind of urban photography
What's that? Poverty? Architecture? Women's soccer?

You're making excuses. Tisk tisk.

-

Here, let's get creative just to get the juices flowing:

You're a P.I. and have been hired to get proof of a local politician's affiliation with a crime syndicate. You find your mark and trail them like a bloodhound. They travel to a suspicious area. You're right behind them. Suddenly they stop and talk to a known criminal! *snap snap snap* Got them!
mlSYYzd.jpg

This picture is a lot more interesting when your theme song is playing.

I have often contemplated this, because I don't live in the most ideal city for my favourite kind of urban photography, mostly a relatively low population... Ultimately more people equals more photo opportunities, simply the numbers game... There is also a fairly conservative culture here, unlike what NYC is like...
I really like your rural photos, and I think when it comes to photographing interesting characters you find much better shutter fodder in more rural settings. To me most city people are just plastic copies of each other, it's in the more remote areas where true character tends to shine.

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

His left eye isn't bloodshot, it's blind. He lost it to a tropical ulcer when he was younger.

Last edited:
I read in the New York Times this morning that NYC ranks 93rd in the USA for bathrooms per capita. I think all those people swarming NYC streets are looking for a place to pee.

;)

@Sherlock77

When you posted this did you really want feedback, critique, advice, etc.? Or were you looking for understanding, empathy, encouragement, etc. only?

Just curious as this is one of my blind spots. You know, when someone talks about a problem I assume they want relevant help to try and work through it.

For the record I don't think you have a real problem, but your self-doubt is tripping up progress.

@Sherlock77

When you posted this did you really want feedback, critique, advice, etc.? Or were you looking for understanding, empathy, encouragement, etc. only?

Just curious as this is one of my blind spots. You know, when someone talks about a problem I assume they want relevant help to try and work through it.

For the record I don't think you have a real problem, but your self-doubt is tripping up progress.

I was possibly venting (in public), or just some thoughts I wanted to get out...

And, every place in the world has different photo opportunities, every city in the world, etc...

I sometimes wish I was more famous, I was taking photos like Humans of New York for four years before Brandon Stanton, but in Calgary, and he became famous (possibly because he lives in NYC), I'm still not famous (probably because I don't live in NYC)... But then I've always pursued this is a hobby, and not professionally as a career... And I'm okay with that, just have moments like that sometimes...

I was possibly venting (in public), or just some thoughts I wanted to get out...
Ah. Well, I didn't mean to overwhelm you or rub salt in the wound or anything. From my POV I saw a problem, and I could help, so full send.

I eff this up a lot, though, and accidentally cross boundaries with NT's all the time because they phrase something as asking for help/advice/input and I give to the best of my ability within the context. But, that's not what they actually wanted, they just wanted some (insert emotion here). Note I never feel guilty after doing this because, well, they requested it.

I sometimes wish I was more famous
I got you. Everyone wants to be recognized, prove their worth, or get validation from society. Everybody has their hang ups and mental bogs unique to them. A lot of media comes out of Canada - like all the good low-budget scifi from the last thirty years (RDA fanboy here :hearteyes:). I can see the social pressure.

I won't tell you not to covet fame, because we both know it doesn't make any logical sense. However, I will encourage you to reach out to local places - libraries, coffee shops, micro breweries - because many of them showcase local art and they are usually looking for people to book. These can go from a couple days to a month, but it can be a very satisfying outlet. Plus, you'll have something pushing you to do your best work and have a deadline, both of which can bring out the best in your vision. Just an idea, though.

-

And everybody needs to print some of their photos. Do it. Put one or more somewhere you can see them multiple times per day every day. You will see what you did good and what you should have done different. This is a great tool for self improvement.

New Threads

Top Bottom