• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Avatar

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
My avatar occasionally causes some confusion as to its real meaning. Those that do not know me mistake it for an arrogant statement. it was given to me by a friend years ago as a joke. The real message is not about my personally but rather that I tend to have opinions on some stuff that is eventually found latter to be correct.

In physics there is two conflicting theories Einsteins General theory of relativity and Heisenberg's quantum mechanics based on his uncertainty principle just substitute their names in the quote and Avatar makes sense. It's more about truth than any particular individual, least of all me.

My avatar occasionally causes some confusion as to its real meaning. Those that do not know me mistake it for an arrogant statement. it was given to me by a friend years ago as a joke. The real message is not about my personally but rather that I tend to have opinions on some stuff that is eventually found latter to be correct.

In physics there is two conflicting theories Einsteins General theory of relativity and Heisenberg's quantum mechanics based on his uncertainty principle just substitute their names in the quote and Avatar makes sense. It's more about truth than any particular individual, least of all me.
I never thought that there was anything particularly controversial about it. I never believe that those sorts of things are meant to be taken very seriously. More that there's a humourous subtext indicating that you have some wisdom.

For me, the saying I like and would probably get framed and hang on a wall above my desk is...

"I could agree with you of course, but then we'd both be wrong."

I've seen some very odd behaviours from people who fail to stop and think about their actions. In the awful job I have spoken about a few times, one of the poseurs that worked there would make all kinds of declarative statements that were so lacking in insight, validity, intellect and experience. But he had decreed something to be "so". No amount of evidence could persuade him he was wrong.

Usually I would wait until no one was around and then fix the issue he had decreed to be unfixable. Normally this would result in him throwing a tantrum.

I think little tongue and cheek signs like this remind everyone to exercise a little humility.

I left this on my computer for 21 years first day to last what surprised ever one supplier to customers was how correct it was the managers from my company who told them not to laugh. On this site my Covid thread speaks for itself IF only Paul Dirac and even Albert did not second guess themselves. I trust what I can see in my mind. I always have to work around people that do not trust my judgment, thinking they are correct. I get a real warm fuzzy feeling as all the evidence supports itself the trick is not to lie to yourself, otherwise known as second guessing, neither Dirac nor Einstein trusted their own math. Richard Feinman had an epiphany on anti-matter and Bells theorem tells me to many of these guys do not trust their instincts as it goes against their schooling. It is so clear in my mind's eye. I do not like lying, so I avoid lying to myself.

I left this on my computer for 21 years first day to last what surprised ever one supplier to customers was how correct it was the managers from my company who told them not to laugh. On this site my Covid thread speaks for itself IF only Paul Dirac and even Albert did not second guess themselves. I trust what I can see in my mind. I always have to work around people that do not trust my judgment, thinking they are correct. I get a real warm fuzzy feeling as all the evidence supports itself the trick is not to lie to yourself, otherwise known as second guessing, neither Dirac nor Einstein trusted their own math. Richard Feinman had an epiphany on anti-matter and Bells theorem tells me to many of these guys do not trust their instincts as it goes against their schooling. It is so clear in my mind's eye. I do not like lying, so I avoid lying to myself.
I have very similar feelings on the subject. I honestly can't understand people that will pit their ignorance against others knowledge.

I have a very similar policy. It has served me well throughout adulthood in particular. If I don't understand something I will never delude myself that I do. You can never solve a problem, except by coincidence, if you lie to yourself about it. I may believe wholeheartedly that I'm right but if it turns out I'm wrong, I don't get all salty about it. It's an opportunity to learn!

If I have a theory about something, I will never assert it is true until it has been confirmed to be so. An idea is an idea until it's fully realised. One that simply can't be realised is not viable due to one or more of the premises being faulty.

Self delusion is very strange. I often give the example of my car when it's annual inspection, known as an MOT was due. I would say to my workmates "I've gone over that car with a fine toothed comb, I think it will pass but if there's something wrong that I've missed it's good that I will find out about it."

People would suggest going to a garage that would, for a small kickback, pass your car whatever state it was in. They couldn't understand why I wouldn't do that under any circumstances. I wanted my car to be safe as humanly possible.

I don't tend to state anything emphatically unless I feel very sure I'm right and perhaps feel I should share that knowledge with a person who may be about to make a mistake. I am perfectly happy to accept people doing this for me as long as the person is being genuine.

People though can be so egotistical. I think they think my behaviour is also based on ego, it's not. So I just tend to keep my mouth shut around egotistical people and let them make their own silly mistakes.

I had a weird problem years ago with colour on appliances it was there for years I did not know enough about how pigments are dispersed. I developed a crude theory in my mind my buddy and I did some simple experiments with an air driven impeller I need more education in this area so I started taking course in paint technology offered by a local community college, and one of the was called paint and pigment dispersion. the answer to my colour issue was right out of the textbook, something I took in college for my first diploma Reynolds number a quick mathematical calculation, wrote it up passed it to the paint suppler told them what to do on their process slight change issue gone. years later few jobs later I get a job involving ink and printing mainly involved with controlling paint color's. one day two older guys in my lab one guy is tint paste supplier CEO second guy is our retired ink expert one guy is in his sixties other in his seventies Our company is the industry leader in pool wall prints we are the gold standard in the industry both guys discuss this tint. Ink supplier says you cannot make ink without white our guy says yes you can they both of us a term called transparent white as a replacement for white I know nothing about ink. realized for first time no how to fix this company paint and ink. just need to put plan in place implements with no support from management as they cannot see what I see plan as day took me ten years Reynolds number and SPC were the key.
I had to rebuild thousands of formulas quietly behind every ones back Did I say the debate got heated almost to a fist fight our guy was a genius serendipity had just came my way and I ran with it. They are now world leaders in printing on metal no one else comes close. All because I trust my instincts, know I am right do not second guess.

;-)

One of my best friends also used to be my boss. I told him once that he didn't need to agree and do what I advised every time, as occasionally he needed to be reminded why he should do as I suggested each time...... This was mostly said in jest. Well partly in jest. Ok, mainly in truth but with a bit of a smile.

For some reason he identified me as "being on the spectrum" several years ago, just didn't mention it to me until after I'd got there myself recently.

I have just the right combination of fearlessness, no respect for authority to just do it my way.as long as my former employee's competitors like the ink supplier think it is impossible to make ink without white and have an understanding of statistical process control one of this stuff is proprietary, I paid for my own education just know how to apply it. in ways that are non-standard. Visualizing the process in my head is easy.

I've done similar things in the past but not as impressive. I once theorised how a guitar pickup worked and based on my theory, built one with some ceramic magnet from an old speaker and some insulated magnet type wire from an AM radio antenna. Thing was microphonic as all get outta here, but it worked and actually sounded pretty cool!

Another time, a piece of plastic weather striping, kept detaching itself from my windscreen on my car. It was no big deal, so I glued it down. It was fine throughout the winter. But in the spring it became detached. I glued it back down and a day later it had detached again. So I glued it once more with the same results.

It occured to me that while looking at the plastic strip, it had become a bit shrunken and rather pale looking. I thought "probably UV damage from the sun." Then a penny dropped! Perhaps the increased sunlight had damaged the glue. So I researched it and discovered photodegradation was definitely a thing. I also found a paper on the subject that identified CFL light bulbs as causing photodegradation to adhesives and plastics.

I realised that probably explained why the cheap plastic lamp I had bought from IKEA that had snapped and kept on falling apart since I glued it was experiencing the same problem. I found out that two part epoxy resin was better when I read the paper. So I used that to repair the lamp and also the plastic strip on my car. 10 years or more later, they are both fine.

So one day at my oft talked about rubbish job, my boss presented me with a plastic lampshade that he had crudely repaired with glue from Poundland. I felt that based on what I knew, putting this thing on a fixture 20 feet above people and millimeters away from a very powerful and very white CFL bulb was probably dangerous.

So I tried to let him know and offer to brace the rim of the lamp shade with an appropriately sized jubilee clip. This would have held it in place if and when the glue failed.

Mr Boss Man threw a tantrum at me. I have to point out here that I was very polite and diplomatic. But it bruised his ego to be "questioned" by me. So up it went without any precautions.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the darned thing fell down. I'm pretty sure since I wasn't there for more than a few more days that after my exodus, if it fell, I would have been accused of sabotaging it. Because, as with several similar examples that had happened it was "funny" that I had "predicted" something would happen. Therefore, I "must" have "made it do that".

Bunch of clowns! :smilecat:

;-)

One of my best friends also used to be my boss. I told him once that he didn't need to agree and do what I advised every time, as occasionally he needed to be reminded why he should do as I suggested each time...... This was mostly said in jest. Well partly in jest. Ok, mainly in truth but with a bit of a smile.

For some reason he identified me as "being on the spectrum" several years ago, just didn't mention it to me until after I'd got there myself recently.
Kindred spirit. My former boss is also a close friend.

I've done similar things in the past but not as impressive. I once theorised how a guitar pickup worked and based on my theory, built one with some ceramic magnet from an old speaker and some insulated magnet type wire from an AM radio antenna. Thing was microphonic as all get outta here, but it worked and actually sounded pretty cool!

Another time, a piece of plastic weather striping, kept detaching itself from my windscreen on my car. It was no big deal, so I glued it down. It was fine throughout the winter. But in the spring it became detached. I glued it back down and a day later it had detached again. So I glued it once more with the same results.

It occured to me that while looking at the plastic strip, it had become a bit shrunken and rather pale looking. I thought "probably UV damage from the sun." Then a penny dropped! Perhaps the increased sunlight had damaged the glue. So I researched it and discovered photodegradation was definitely a thing. I also found a paper on the subject that identified CFL light bulbs as causing photodegradation to adhesives and plastics.

I realised that probably explained why the cheap plastic lamp I had bought from IKEA that had snapped and kept on falling apart since I glued it was experiencing the same problem. I found out that two part epoxy resin was better when I read the paper. So I used that to repair the lamp and also the plastic strip on my car. 10 years or more later, they are both fine.

So one day at my oft talked about rubbish job, my boss presented me with a plastic lampshade that he had crudely repaired with glue from Poundland. I felt that based on what I knew, putting this thing on a fixture 20 feet above people and millimeters away from a very powerful and very white CFL bulb was probably dangerous.

So I tried to let him know and offer to brace the rim of the lamp shade with an appropriately sized jubilee clip. This would have held it in place if and when the glue failed.

Mr Boss Man threw a tantrum at me. I have to point out here that I was very polite and diplomatic. But it bruised his ego to be "questioned" by me. So up it went without any precautions.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the darned thing fell down. I'm pretty sure since I wasn't there for more than a few more days that after my exodus, if it fell, I would have been accused of sabotaging it. Because, as with several similar examples that had happened it was "funny" that I had "predicted" something would happen. Therefore, I "must" have "made it do that".

Bunch of clowns! :smilecat:
Wow now you're in my wheelhouse paint adhesives a Urethane would have worked a bit better.

Wow now you're in my wheelhouse paint adhesives a Urethane would have worked a bit better.
Cool! I will keep that in mind for the next time, and there's always a lot of similar problems I find myself fixing!

Actually, while I have you here! Do you know of a reliable way to determine if the finish on a guitar is nitrocellulose or a Polyurethane finish?

I have a fairly nice Fender Stratocaster 62 reissue and I'm trying to determine if it's the top of the line version with the nitro finish or the mid range one with the poly finish. I know it's not the entry one as it's got a few tell tale signs such as the pickups and control knobs.

Cool! I will keep that in mind for the next time, and there's always a lot of similar problems I find myself fixing!

Actually, while I have you here! Do you know of a reliable way to determine if the finish on a guitar is nitrocellulose or a Polyurethane finish?

I have a fairly nice Fender Stratocaster 62 reissue and I'm trying to determine if it's the top of the line version with the nitro finish or the mid range one with the poly finish. I know it's not the entry one as it's got a few tell tale signs such as the pickups and control knobs.
I would not go near your instrument with a flame if it's nitro cellulose another name for smokeless gun powder reason a lot of old film no longer exists.

I can be very argumentative do not care if you the boss if I Think your wrong, I will tell you.
It's interesting. A lot of people think I am argumentative, right the way back to school with teachers. But really it's more that I'm passionate at the right decisions being made, or accurate knowledge being shared. So I don't need to be 'right', I just need to make sure that errors are corrected (by anyone). I actually do my best to avoid conflict, just that 'best' isn't really very good.....

I would not go near your instrument with a flame if it's nitro cellulose another name for smokeless gun powder reason a lot of old film no longer exists.
So perhaps I shouldn't try and be cool like Slash from Guns and Roses and play with a lit Marlborough hanging out of my mouth then? :smilecat:

That would certainly be an expensive way to find out!

Don't worry most places no longer use it lots of better clearcoats wood is hard to coat not much sticks to cellulose urethanes and epoxies are about it epoxies tend to yellow.

The writing in the avatar is too small for me to read it. I assumed it was the PG Tips monkey holding a sign?

giphy.gif

My avatar has changed a few times but it's always something that resembles me or represents me.

New Threads

Top Bottom